All Inclusive Resorts - How to tip

NWill

I'm going to Riviera Maya Saturday and was curious about tipping. Who has been? I would normally just tip on whatever the bill would have cost, but that assumes they have prices listed. Do you get a bill of any sort? Do you just tip a couple dollars/ drink?

Any tips? :gabe:

From cruises I have taken they have taken gratuity out from the start. So make sure you check your balence/credit. In this case you can tell them to take it off and they have to do so. Even all enclusive ill at least give the bartender at the end of the night a few bucks no big deal.

I'm going to Riviera Maya Saturday and was curious about tipping. Who has been? I would normally just tip on whatever the bill would have cost, but that assumes they have prices listed. Do you get a bill of any sort? Do you just tip a couple dollars/ drink?

Any tips? :gabe:

every all-inclusive i have been to; even though they factor gratuity in, and they tell you that at the front desk upon check-in, I still tip between 20-30% for meals. And I have always been a good tipper to the bartenders... (the drinks are better that way)

It has been my experience they go way above and beyond in their service in hopes of getting an additional tip. I like to reward their effort.

Screw them. Its their employers responsibility to pay their wages, not yours. If the employer doesn't pass along a fair salary to those working for them, that's not your problem ;)

http://mygeekblasphemy.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/2420-15826.gif

Don't be a cheap ass. These people still work off of tips even though I'm sure they get a flat hourly wage. Throw them a few bucks and make them happy. :)

-Marc

I don't plan to be. I usually tip 30-40% at the bars I frequent and always get awesome service (STIFF pours, free shots, first served even at back of line, etc.) in return. I've heard to tip heavy at the beginning of the trip and you'll have awesome service all week. For the food, however, I'm not sure. I suppose I'll just guess how much the meal would be, if there are no other indicators, and tip on that.

every all-inclusive we go to tells you not to tip and that their staff is supposed to refuse. However, we always throw a $20 at anyone we want good service from when we first get there. Bartender would be #1. Then housekeeping. Also...we take along a couple paperbacks and magazines to leave in the room for housekeeping. Someone gave me that tip years ago. The housekeepers love getting that stuff. Of course we go to Jamaica. Not sure that would be the same elsewhere.

The all inclusive resort that I am a member at does allow tipping but they discourage their staff from receiving tips. I usually tip the bartenders a dollar every few drinks. The service is top notch even if you don't tip. But I feel bad for not tipping at the bar, especially when you are drinking top shelf for free. As for lunch or dinner, it varies for which restaurant I go to, the service, and the food. Usually a few dollars just because I am always drinking. This reminds me, I need to book another week at the resort for this fall. I can't wait to go back.

It has been my experience they go way above and beyond in their service in hopes of getting an additional tip. I like to reward their effort.

I feel that the resort that I am a member strives for excellent service so people continue to buy into the memberships and go back to the resort year after year.

Guest CARkid
You've already paid for the trip. No need to tip.

I've been to one in Cancun and actually leaving next Friday for another all inclusive in Cancun. We only tipped when service was exceptional - tips are included in the price you paid, but nothing wrong with a few bucks here or there

Have fun :)