Ford Navigation Recommendation

C-Mart

+1 for just using your phone

+1. It will be interesting to see how ICE evolves over the next few years...with technology leapfrogging itself so quickly, I don't understand putting a ton of money into Navigation/media control when phones/Bluetooth do just as good of a job for $2k+ cheaper!

Where did you get that iPhone mount?

Radio Shack. Wallmart and B.Buy have them too. $19 IIRC. We have one in all three vehicles.

Dont phones have to be connected to the network in order to load the map destination your looking for, and units dedicated for GPS don't? Thats the only advantage I can see besides aesthetic reasons.

Nope. Some apps like TomTom include the maps (fat on storage though) but others like Motion X have the ability to down load or pre-fetch the maps ahead of time. I do that when I'm about to leave for the day in case in the rare event I lose signal where I'm at. They don't take much data from your plan either.

I do like the size of the in dash system but it's not as intuitive, believe it or not, not as fast to enter data into and newer ones are crippled from working when the car is in gear. You can use some of the features but not all.

Radio Shack. Wallmart and B.Buy have them too. $19 IIRC. We have one in all three vehicles.

Nope. Some apps like TomTom include the maps (fat on storage though) but others like Motion X have the ability to down load or pre-fetch the maps ahead of time. I do that when I'm about to leave for the day in case in the rare event I lose signal where I'm at. They don't take much data from your plan either.

I do like the size of the in dash system but it's not as intuitive, believe it or not, not as fast to enter data into and newer ones are crippled from working when the car is in gear. You can use some of the features but not all.

Yea I drove my buddies Lexus with in dash navigation and using that thing was a pain in the ass. Entering a destination in that thing took forever and the car had to be at a complete stop.

Where did you get that iPhone mount?

If you have Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bracktron+grip+it

Or if you are not in a hurry, keep an eye on the company's clearance section. I snagged up a few last year for $2-3/ea., along with some other styles of mounts:

http://www.bracketron.com/products/technology-application-clearance?limit=30

I guess the confusion here is the blanket term 'navigation'. I will very rarely be using this to navigate places as I always use my phone. I do however like the look of in-dash double din screens and prefer them to my worn out 6 disc changer.

I was really wondering if anyone had an opinion on if ~$500 on a 'navigation' unit would be better spent on an aftermarket brand or Ford OEM. At this point I will probably just pick up whatever I can find a deal on first.