Ford Navigation Recommendation

C-Mart

Just picked up a 2005 F150 King Ranch and want to make a few additions.

I kind of want an OEM model just because it says Ford when it turns on and looks clean. Something along the lines of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-09-Ford-F...#ht_7523wt_878

Or would I be better off going aftermarket? I have heard they have more options/functions, but that oem model seems to have everything I would need.

I also plan on putting a sub or two and replacing the stock speakers if that would affect this decision.

Any advice?

I have Ford Sync and OEM Navigation in my Fusion. Works as you'd expect, but honestly, I use MotionX Drive on my iPhone and like it better. You don't need to see an 8" map to navigate.

I would save your money and go aftermarket or seriously, use your phone and Bluetooth it through your car. You're welcome to see my set up and test both. Just PM me. Westerville is a stones throw.

Thanks for the input so far. I do use my Iphone for navigation, but I find it terrible compared to the droid. It's really my only complaint about the phone. That being said I want to use the in dash for more than just navigation. The stock 6 disc changed is worn out and I want something new.

pdqgp - Thank you for the offer, but I doubt I will be buying anything that new. I am trying to stick around the $400-$600 dollar range.

Sturg - I am sorry you could not comprehend my jumbled thoughts, though you seem to be the only one with that problem.

Aftermarket stuff is so cheap it scares me, seems like it's the way to go though.

Thanks for the input so far. I do use my Iphone for navigation, but I find it terrible compared to the droid. It's really my only complaint about the phone.

The people suggesting using your phone are talking about an actual turn-by-turn navigation app, not just the Maps driven stuff that comes on your phone stock. I use the iPhone TomTom app and like it better than my actual Garmin GPS.

Most decent aftermarket radios these days will also tether (wirelessly in many case) to your phone and support things like GPS apps, Pandora, etc. That's probably what I would do in lieu of an OEM radio that only has GPS to offer.

Thanks for the input so far. I do use my Iphone for navigation, but I find it terrible compared to the droid. It's really my only complaint about the phone. That being said I want to use the in dash for more than just navigation.

MotionX Drive turn by turn is perfect. $20yr for voice guidance and around xmas they discount it to $9. Hands down my favorite. I never us the iPhone maps.

pdqgp - Thank you for the offer, but I doubt I will be buying anything that new. I am trying to stick around the $400-$600 dollar range

Still, my point is even the brand new stuff isn't as robust as the newer phones. I have my phone mounted to the dash via vent clip and it's perfect.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/DSC05947.jpg

We'll have to play after C&C sometime. I want to test my tune against yours. Aaron can record us as the chase car :gabe:

Sure. Not this Saturday since I have an 7:45 am test then a 10:30 am test. :fuuuu:

Although I could predict the outcome now.

You will win.

Although I could predict the outcome now. You will win.

That's because I'll leave on the 2nd honk and you'll never know :lolguy: All in good fun my friend. Good luck on the test. We need to get the three of us together bump Jones off the road or something. ;)

FYI you can make a Garmin or whatever say "Ford" when you turn it on. You can have whatever picture you want. I am sure you can do much more with the newer ones too, as mine is many years old.

I definitely don't want a garmin - I want something in dash double din. May just pull the trigger on a cheap pioneer/alpine and get something else if I don't like it.

Still, my point is even the brand new stuff isn't as robust as the newer phones. I have my phone mounted to the dash via vent clip and it's perfect.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/DSC05947.jpg

Where did you get that iPhone mount?