Bad/noisy wheel bearing?

adamgh81

I wouldn't put my head near a spinning wheel especially with the screwdriver. All you have to do is lift the wheels and spin them by had one at a time (put in neutral first to make them easier to turn) while holding onto the coil spring and if its bad' date=' you'll usually feel vibration through the spring and/or control arm/chassis.[/quote']

Yeah, I mean if you can jack a car up and spin a wheel at 40+ MPH to hear a certain noise.

I've always drivin a car on a lift..

How would you pin point a driveshaft / transmission / transfercase noise.

I guess it comes with experience.. Some mechanics just have balls I guess.. There is nothing unsafe about running a vehicle on a lift if you have it lifted properly..

To the OP, I think you still have a wheel bearing going bad.. Sounds like your best bet is to take it to a shop and see what they say.. Most private shops will give you a free estimate.. Or like in my PM to you I will drive it and see if I can pin point it for you..

Sounds like its time to get it on a lift and DRIVE it. Its your easiest way to pinpoint it. Like everyone has said, front bearings are a known issue with these trucks. Have you checked the front diff fluid yet? If Im not mistaken, the output seals on these tend to leak too and could cause damage to bearings in the diff which would make a bearing growl noise that wouldnt really be as effected by weight transfer when turning. /runonsentence.

Good to hear an expert looked at it and he isn't going to be driving a hazard

Yeah, the tie rod is pretty loose, his wife drives it mostly so they hadn't really noticed the steering wheel being off-center.

Both tie rods replaced by a shop and I replaced the wheel bearing. Headed to IPS soon for an alignment! She drives so quietly and smoothly again, thanks guys, and many many thanks to Cordell for taking the time to come over and teach me a thing or two! I owe you lunch sometime.

For all GM work that you don't want to do yourself, go to Cordell!