Please don't buy the Mazdaspeed3...

zeitgeist57

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang I didn't know we had so many grammar nazis on CR. I own a 2011 Fusion SEL, R1, ZX6R. I have also owned a 07 GT, Cobalt SS/TC, and Cobalt SS/SC Lets look at the Boss for instance it out lapped nearly EVERYTHING within a hundred grand of it including the Z06 at Laguna Seca. I think it will do what the SS/TC did which is out standing. Edited by Ginger
  • Downvote 1

First off, my name is Aaron, if you are going to call me out, have the balls to use my name, screen name if nothing else.

Whoa there big guy...easy on the coffee man. Bit harsh eh?

Who always wins the comparison tests? What car is the most awarded hot hatch ever? Oh yeah...

Honestly, the MS3 has won most all the hot hatch comparisons that I've read and in this class I believe the Cobalt SS perhaps came close on one of them but that one really pushing it on just performance only. In the end, the Cobalt is still a Cobalt and that's not saying much fit and finish wise. Most comparisons I've ready put the GTi third but comment on it having a nicer interior.

Ford should of brought over the focus rs.

Agree completely.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2007-vw-gti-vs-subaru-impreza-wrx-tr-mini-cooper-s-nissan-sentra-se-r-spec-v-mazdaspeed-3-grand-touring-comparison-tests

Now in 2010 they did pick the GTI but concluded the article with an excuse for it's lack of performance with their finish in the quarter mile of only 14.9 seconds. "Volkswagen sources propose that the GTI’s appeal is a total-package thing, implying that horsepower isn’t really that important."

This last point being pretty much what the articles always say which is performance isn't everything. But even this winning review ends with "what would the GTI be with the Speed 3 motor?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGWFFpI88o

I agree with the reviews that the GTI Rides better, has a nice interior and is quieter. That's cool, but not what I was looking for in a car. I enjoy the experience of the raw feel it provides. I want to hear the exhaust, feel the road a bit more and power wise, I rather enjoy the brute delivery of the power and while one of the reviews noted the MS3 goes like a go-kart but also feels like one, that's okay too. I like it. To me it's part of the experience. If I want quiet more sedate handling and a smoother delivery, I drive the Fusion. Hell, I think a ton of people here have a car that is a bit on the RAW side and that's part of what they like about them.

Back on track, I think this new Ford will be right in between the two. I've driven rental car Focus models and for what they are, they are solid. Add in better handling and a power powerful motor and I bey they are fun.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Whoa there big guy...easy on the coffee man. Bit harsh eh?

Honestly, the MS3 has won most all the hot hatch comparisons that I've read and in this class I believe the Cobalt SS perhaps came close on one of them but that one really pushing it on just performance only. In the end, the Cobalt is still a Cobalt and that's not saying much fit and finish wise. Most comparisons I've ready put the GTi third but comment on it having a nicer interior.

Agree completely.

I just did a quick scan, and it came in second every time it didn't win. But you are right, and I think I even told you this a while ago, the MS3 was the only car to beat the GTI in a comparison test.

Can just pick up a low milage cobalt ss/tc. Throw a gm stage one on it and there a 300hp car with a warranty. All for less then the focus.

Ford should of brought over the focus rs.

cobalts still have warranties?

Could have something to do with me being starving when I posted that (I am dieting).

A bit harsh, I admit. My bad.

I knew it.

If FOCUS=LOL

and MAZDA3=LOL

then we can deduce FOCUS=LOL=MAZDA3

therefore FOCUS=MAZDA3

:fuckyeah:

cobalts still have warranties?

The turbo models are 08–10. Just pick up gms 6 year/100k mile warranty with it. Or find one with an existing warranty. Most will transfer over easy. Can pick up a sub 20k mile cobalt for 18k easy.

If you don't care for the warranty. Theirs other tunes with even better power increases. I think trifectas puts it around 310whp with just a tune, no other bolt ons.

Add in the rpd, no lift shift, launch control. The turbo cobalts are bad ass little cars. Will say the interiors kinda suck though. Plus not a hatch, so bit less room compared to gti, ms3, and focus.