2012 Texas Invitational

Linn1647545492

It ran great all weekend. But I was the only Gallardo that kept spinning 3rd, so John and I were just testing different boost settings on that practice run - I let out at the top of 4th.

I did pull out in the semifinal round after my 3rd gear was making some odd noises throughout the day. We think we might have broken a tooth - Kevin is pulling the trans tomorrow to check it out. All the 2nd/3rd gear wheel spin may have taken it's toll. :)

It ran great all weekend. But I was the only Gallardo that kept spinning 3rd, so John and I were just testing different boost settings on that practice run - I let out at the top of 4th.

I did pull out in the semifinal round after my 3rd gear was making some odd noises throughout the day. We think we might have broken a tooth - Kevin is pulling the trans tomorrow to check it out. All the 2nd/3rd gear wheel spin may have taken it's toll. :)

Sorry to hear about the trans issue. Looks like you are starting to find the weak points.

What tires are you running? The car is a monster.

Sorry to hear about the trans issue. Looks like you are starting to find the weak points.

What tires are you running? The car is a monster.

Thanks. 18" R888. A few cars have torn up 3rd gear when spinning the shifts. Kevin has been working with another gear company who challenged us to break one with a full warranty - so should be in my car within next 4 weeks. We've tried 3 different materials, different shot peening techniques, etc. Once the news gears are in along with the billet diff, launch control tuning will be next....:)

Thanks. 18" R888. A few cars have torn up 3rd gear when spinning the shifts. Kevin has been working with another gear company who challenged us to break one with a full warranty - so should be in my car within next 4 weeks. We've tried 3 different materials, different shot peening techniques, etc. Once the news gears are in along with the billet diff, launch control tuning will be next....:)

R888's? You should get some proper r-compounds on there, not the "japanese" r compound... which is more like an intermediate tire, IMO. Though, I say that, when I run nearly the same, using the RA1's (which I feel have a better wet traction advantage than 888s) but i am using it as a 'street' tire. You should at least put somethimg more sticky on there for when you are really trying to scoot/race.

Have you thought about getting a set of R6's for racing events? (probably easiest with some dedicated wheels to just swap out.

Or if you really want a DOT legal tire, the R3SO3 (or the often ran Kuhmo V710s).

And from an Rcomp standpoint, I bet you woudl find better traction with either the BFG g-force drag radial (fairly streetable tire), probably well suited for your straight line stuff. OR, the Mich Pilot Cup Sports... which i have ran, and are a great track tire, but could/should be fine for some street driving.

I dont know what you do/dont know about tire selection, but I would be happy to chat with you about it, if you want.

Edited by JuicedH22

I'm really surprised you are not running something sticker.

I can't wait to see your car put up some numbers. How did the AMS GTR do before the motor let go?

R888's? You should get some proper r-compounds on there, not the "japanese" r compound... which is more like an intermediate tire, IMO. Though, I say that, when I run nearly the same, using the RA1's (which I feel have a better wet traction advantage than 888s) but i am using it as a 'street' tire. You should at least put somethimg more sticky on there for when you are really trying to scoot/race.

Have you thought about getting a set of R6's for racing events? (probably easiest with some dedicated wheels to just swap out.

Or if you really want a DOT legal tire, the R3SO3 (or the often ran Kuhmo V710s).

And from an Rcomp standpoint, I bet you woudl find better traction with either the BFG g-force drag radial (fairly streetable tire), probably well suited for your straight line stuff. OR, the Mich Pilot Cup Sports... which i have ran, and are a great track tire, but could/should be fine for some street driving.

I dont know what you do/dont know about tire selection, but I would be happy to chat with you about it, if you want.

Agree other than Pilot sport cup's. They require a TON of heat to really work, they suck when cold. I did a track day last year on the cup's in ambient temps lower than 50 degrees and could not get them up to temp to get sticky even in a full 30 min session.

Agree other than Pilot sport cup's. They require a TON of heat to really work, they suck when cold. I did a track day last year on the cup's in ambient temps lower than 50 degrees and could not get them up to temp to get sticky even in a full 30 min session.

I agree on them cold, but my thought process was he uses them on the highway, so just driving at speed will put 'some' heat in them before rolling out. But road temps may be an issue.

All the high hp GTR and TTG's seem to run them with very good results. We've tried DR's and they don't seem to hook as well. We've tried Cup Sports too - same thing, they don't work as well for some reason - I have found the road race tires sidewalls are too stiff.

I'm really surprised you are not running something sticker.

I can't wait to see your car put up some numbers. How did the AMS GTR do before the motor let go?

The AMS GTR was very fast. I beat it by a few cars, but started out a good car length out front. Hit was pretty even, but even on their pit limiter building boost, I left harder. Their car traps in the mid 170's, so it was a good race. They said they were running more boost against me than they did in TX2K, so it was on kill mode (as was I). If it was an dead even start and I gave them the hit, doubt I'd be able to pull around them until over 200. It was definitely the 2nd fastest car there. :)

Video should be out in a couple days.

The AMS GTR was very fast. I beat it by a few cars, but started out a good car length out front. Hit was pretty even, but even on their pit limiter building boost, I left harder. Their car traps in the mid 170's, so it was a good race. They said they were running more boost against me than they did in TX2K, so it was on kill mode (as was I). If it was an dead even start and I gave them the hit, doubt I'd be able to pull around them until over 200. It was definitely the 2nd fastest car there. :)

Video should be out in a couple days.

Looking forward to the video.

All the high hp GTR and TTG's seem to run them with very good results. We've tried DR's and they don't seem to hook as well. We've tried Cup Sports too - same thing, they don't work as well for some reason - I have found the road race tires sidewalls are too stiff.

Interesting. Though the r888 sidewall is a stiff 'road race' style side wall, doubtful it is R6 stiff, but still stiff. what DRs did you try?

Funny,... I just talked to a guy who said his 700 whp Cobra hooked better with R888s on the street than on any drag radial he ever ran previously.

I initially wrote it off to his car being down on power and he didn't realize it, or just pure BS. But if 1600 hp cars are running them, I may have to reconsider my previous assumptions.