Scuba Diving

Crossle

I am really wanting to get into scuba diving and ship wreck diving. I am thinking about taking the classes through Columbus scuba. Does anyone have any other recommendations on classes and/or dive locations? Edited by Crossle
Ugg Erica logged in as Sean again. Whoopsy!

I really enjoy it, though I don't enjoy getting sea sick lol. I went to the Central Ohio School of Diving. It's a smaller shop but a great group of people. They also have plenty of dive trips that you can go on.

I don't care for circleville or gilboa. I find it difficult to equalize in the colder water. Circleville is better for that, but the water isn't that clear if you go on a weekend.

Dive locations for wreck diving? I've done several in the British Virgin Islands.

-The Rhone is where they filmed "The Deep" (remember Jacqueline Bisset?) Good coral reef dive, and its shallow so you get a good long dive.

-Near there is also the Chikuzin, a Japanese refrigerator ship a mile in open water with nothing around it and down about 85 feet. Only about a 30 or 40 minute dive and its somewhat difficult to navigate.

-There's also a small airplane at the bottom somewhere that makes a pretty cool night dive. Very creepy swimming thru the aisle in complete silence 40 feet down.

I've also heard Cayman Islands are amazing but I've never been.

Around Ohio there's....nothing.

I got certified through Aqua Immersions on Jasonway just off of Bethel, last August. Open water dives at the quarry in Lancaster. Then, they CLOSED September 30th!!!

However, look up Landen Stiverson...I believe he's at Aquatic Adventures in Hilliard now. Awesome, patient guy...ex-Marine, he's the guy you want as a teacher!

Thanks for the info!! I am also thinking about going back to school for Maritime archeology and histology. I'm absolutely fascinated with ship wreck history.

Has anyone heard anything about Columbus scuba?

If anyone needs any scuba stuff I know my wife is selling the family scuba stuff. I think they have tanks, wetsuits, fins, and mask. I was going to keep her brother stuff and hers, but I don't see us doing this that much to keep it. Let me know. ;)

I too went to Central Ohio School of diving... David Roesch did my training and he was a great instructor.

For wreck diving I've enjoyed quite a few wrecks in the Atlantic. LPFSTheFett and I have been to a half a dozen or so wrecks off the coast of South Carolina.

Another fun dive is Megaldon Tooth diving... I have a few that I dove and found and that was a lot of fun.

I've been on some Really great reefs as well, if you get into diving, I'd recommend getting an underwater camera as well, it will help a ton with the memories.

Some of my favorite dives have been Night diving at the Pier in Bonaire, Diving on the Vermillian (a wreck in 100ft of water 60miles off the coast of Myrtle Beach, SC... There was a 9ft tiger shark on that wreck too), The Great Barrier Reef in Australia, and my deep water checkout dive was an "interesting" dive too.

It is a great past time and I would strongly recommend it.

I too went to Central Ohio School of diving... David Roesch did my training and he was a great instructor.

For wreck diving I've enjoyed quite a few wrecks in the Atlantic. LPFSTheFett and I have been to a half a dozen or so wrecks off the coast of South Carolina.

Another fun dive is Megaldon Tooth diving... I have a few that I dove and found and that was a lot of fun.

I've been on some Really great reefs as well, if you get into diving, I'd recommend getting an underwater camera as well, it will help a ton with the memories.

Some of my favorite dives have been Night diving at the Pier in Bonaire, Diving on the Vermillian (a wreck in 100ft of water 60miles off the coast of Myrtle Beach, SC... There was a 9ft tiger shark on that wreck too), The Great Barrier Reef in Australia, and my deep water checkout dive was an "interesting" dive too.

It is a great past time and I would strongly recommend it.

plus 1 on the under water camera, wish I bought one when I went scuba diving in St. Croix (U.S. Virgin Islands)

If anyone needs any scuba stuff I know my wife is selling the family scuba stuff. I think they have tanks, wetsuits, fins, and mask. I was going to keep her brother stuff and hers, but I don't see us doing this that much to keep it. Let me know. ;)

What size scuba suit and MM does she have? I need at least a 5mm

Lots of wreck diving in the Keys. Do yourself a favor. Take your classes in town but do a transfer for open water and do the open water someplace nice. I did my open water in quarries and wish I had done it in the keys. Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo is good. I also like Scuba Club Cozumel. You can do some WWII diving off of Oahu as well.

Lots of wreck diving in the Keys. Do yourself a favor. Take your classes in town but do a transfer for open water and do the open water someplace nice. I did my open water in quarries and wish I had done it in the keys. Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo is good. I also like Scuba Club Cozumel. You can do some WWII diving off of Oahu as well.

This. I did my open water, wreck, deep, night, and boat diving certs in the Caribbean. Only things I did in Ohio were classes, emergency first responder training, and rescue diver cert at the quarries.