Turning Rotors

Tripleskate

I'll save you the wall of text, but long story short, my front rotors have heavy brake pad deposits, and the vibrations when slowing down are driving me crazy. I tried scuffing them with sandpaper, but that was not enough to fix it. Can you recommend someone who can resurface rotors in Columbus, or will your standard Tuffy, Monroe, etc. tire and brake shop do the job equally well?

If they are pulsating that bad I highly doubt machining them will cure your problem.

By the time you machine off enough metal to make them true again, you will probably be under spec.

And will warp again. I would upgrade to some slotted rotors.

If they are pulsating that bad I highly doubt machining them will cure your problem.

By the time you machine off enough metal to make them true again, you will probably be under spec.

And will warp again. I would upgrade to some slotted rotors.

I was thinking about this, they are the original rotors, with 73k and have never been turned, so I was not sure about how much life they had left in them.

You should have them measured first. I don't know if O'Reilley's or other auto parts stores do this or not as I don't have experience with them. Most shops should be able to mic them and tell you one way or another.

Now a days on cars and light trucks especially they make the rotors so thin to begin with to save you money, but it also means that they usually only last about 1 set of pads. Yes, you can go multiple sets of pad sets "just fine" but you are prone to warping the rotors more easily under high load the thinner they get. Especially for your autoX application.

I think you will find you will need to get new rotors.

I was thinking about this, they are the original rotors, with 73k and have never been turned, so I was not sure about how much life they had left in them.

73k miles is pretty good for OEM rotors.. If this is on your autocross car I would upgrade.. Just my .02

That would be a downgrade in performance but upgrade in looks.

To each his own.

I have measure temps on my stock rotors after driving hard and stopping hard compared to my slotted and drilled rotors. And I lost 30* temps +\- on each rotor.

But then again, what do I know..

That would be a downgrade in performance but upgrade in looks.

Again I have to agree with AJ, taking away surface area and weakening the surface with holes and slots is such a waste.

Even if you can machine your rotors, on a car that is driven hard it's just much simpler to get a decent set of blanks. Less likely to wrap again, and will stand up to more abuse without cracking.

To each his own.

I have measure temps on my stock rotors after driving hard and stopping hard compared to my slotted and drilled rotors. And I lost 30* temps +\- on each rotor.

what was the stopping distance change between the 2? temps dont mean all that much

what was the stopping distance change between the 2? temps dont mean all that much

Stopping distance improved due to better pads.

Temps don't mean much eh? What causes warped rotors? :dumb:

I've done my research and have proven to myself that they are better. And I'm happy with my brakes.

Regardless OP should buy new rotors.

To each his own.

Apperently very little when it comes to performance brakes. Slotted and drilled rotors will crack faster than solid rotors. It's been proven over and over they do nothing for you as this isn't 60's technology pad material anymore that no longer out gasses.

Also you claim of 30* is invalid because there is more factors your not accounting for other than just a rotor swap.

Apperently very little when it comes to performance brakes. Slotted and drilled rotors will crack faster than solid rotors. It's been proven over and over they do nothing for you as this isn't 60's technology pad material anymore that no longer out gasses.

Also you claim of 30* is invalid because there is more factors your not accounting for other than just a rotor swap.

Thanks for you input. I still stand that my slotted and drilled rotors are better than my oem...

To each his own.

I guess that's why performance cars come with drilled rotors.

Guest Spam

AJ is dumb. Dats 4 real.

Slotted dont crack nearly as often as you make it out to be. And if its casted with dimples or holes, they usually dont crack either. Stop buying junk shit and you wont crack them

Thanks for you input. I still stand that my slotted and drilled rotors are better than my oem...

To each his own.

I guess that's why performance cars come with drilled rotors.

like i said, your knowledge of performance brakes is very limited. they are purely for looks on stock cars because people want the looks. one of the corvette engineers straight told me that.

AJ is dumb. Dats 4 real.

Slotted dont crack nearly as often as you make it out to be. And if its casted with dimples or holes, they usually dont crack either. Stop buying junk shit and you wont crack them

i'm not talking about cracking with street driving i'm talking track driving. doesn't matter what brand, drilled, cast, dimpled or even solid rotors they will all crack. the slotted or drilled rotors will crack before the solid rotors will every time because they are stress risers.

Guest Spam
Bro, what do all the high powered gt and gt2 cars use? Huge 8 piston calipers, two piece slotted rotors and specialty pads. Why slotted? So they dissipate the heat. And two peice to prevent cracking! There is a reason for slotted rotors...

Bro, what do all the high powered gt and gt2 cars use? Huge 8 piston calipers, two piece slotted rotors and specialty pads. Why slotted? So they dissipate the heat. And two peice to prevent cracking! There is a reason for slotted rotors...

They don't use slotted rotors they use fish hook cut rotors to save weight and most of the teams run AP Racing 6 piston calipers. GT uses carbon rotors. Your not even compairing apples to apples here as those rotors are cracked and replaced after every race.