CAR PC

AC66Bronco

Still can do more on it easily and sometime quicker. You can do the usual gps, Internet, music, videos, make calls, an also do obd diagnostics, satellite radio, games if you were so inclined lol. I'm sure I'm missing a few but mostly its just what you want to do and ease of use. Sure a smartphone will do most of that but sometimes with more effort and a car pc is molded right on your dash so it's also easier to look at than a phone is.

Also forgot data logging and I have a camera in the grill for sprited driving and such that will record right to the hard drive and then just upload to my server automatically when I get home. I can also set up a camera to record while I park my car to monitor it and upload snapshots via 3G with a dummy phone so pretty cool security too haha

Out of curiosity, where are people mounting the PC in the car? I read an article years ago about a guy building a PC as an MP3 player using a 1U server case mounted under the drivers seat. I would think the trunk would be an okay option too.

Any issues with the cold in the winter from turning it on while it is around freezing?

Out of curiosity, where are people mounting the PC in the car? I read an article years ago about a guy building a PC as an MP3 player using a 1U server case mounted under the drivers seat. I would think the trunk would be an okay option too.

Any issues with the cold in the winter from turning it on while it is around freezing?

back in the day i mounted mine in a gutted Stock honda cd changer in the trunk and just ran a few wires, nobody ever guessed it was a pc lol. Now they are small enough you can keep them inside the dash most places. I have 2 spots one is a small thin case that I can throw under a seat and another that I just take out my screen that i custom made and it sits behind it.

here is my screen

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/justinwebb24/Carputer/DSC_0494.jpg

The cold doesnt really bother them too much, with some spinning platter hard drives though it can take a few seconds for it to warm up and the pc wont boot until it does warm up, but I started using SSD for the boot drive and cold hasnt stopped any component yet.

no i dont think so...

ummm which part, plenty have done this in the past and yes it is still limited as the GUI isnt really set up for quick on the go driving and doesnt have all the inputs you would have from a car pc

What I need help with is basically picking the components so that they play well together.

I will post up what all I want it to do today or tomorrow. Shits busy at work.

once you post what you want it to do I can give you some options on what would work the best and also be upgradable for future use.

you sure? the GUI seems much more quick on the go out of the box.

my tablet has usb, bluetooth, gps,what more you really need?

can power up faster then any PC

whatcha talkin bout wills????

Look at centrafuse GUI everything is streamlined, a tablet you have apps and such you have to go through and find, centrafuse has a simple gui large buttons and is geared more toward car use. Lets see right off the top of my head I can have higher quality audio outputs rather than a sad headphone jack, Data log ODB with adjustments on the fly, pop in a flash drive with music, have multiple cams hooked up recording for races and such or just for security, HD radio or satellite radio if I wanted. That is without even trying.... My PC boots up in around 6 seconds which is faster than most tablets. So whatcha got now?

A tablet might work for some, I toyed around with the idea, but I would rather be able to use something much more customizable and upgradeable than a tablet. So if it works for you that is great, I wish for more to get into the car pc thing. I just like people knowing all that is possible

I do like the compactablity (is that a word) of tablets and then just pop it out and take it with you, that would be cool, but at the same time if someone breaks in and takes it then the whole car pc is gone lol. I had my screen stolen once and all they got was the screen that doesn't do much. I also like the tablet idea for lack of wires. Only need one wire really to power it, my first build had soooo many freaking wires lol.

If someone could create a front end that I wouldnt have to click on a small little app and launch a program then go back home and look for next app i need it would be great and be more like centrafuse.

Edited by justinwebb