Recommend me a machine shop

Green Bastard

i have a sbc 350 im building for my project car, it needs bored. i plan to probably go .03 over, and while its in there im going to have them clearance for a 383 crank, and decking the block if needed. i was just wondering what a good machine shop would be and some idea of pricing. i dont plan to take the block in for a couple months, i just want to know how much to save up and a good reputable shop. also any idea of a turn around time would be nice too, but not necessary. tia.
  • Upvote 1

im just lookin to have the machine work done, no building, do you think that would be over 600? if nothing else ill just have them bore it out a little and go with a stock crank

Machine work these days isnt cheap, the guy I use isnt taking any more business right now but I hear Fowler does good work.

• Upvote 1

Machine work these days isnt cheap, the guy I use isnt taking any more business right now but I hear Fowler does good work.

No experience personally, but I also hear Fowler does good work, but takes his jolly time, it's one of those "jump in line" type deals.

I personally used Performance Research at the intersection of Cleveland and westerville rd, across from the old schottensteins.

Its easily over 600 to properly bore tq plate hone deck and align hone a used block. U can buy the one at summit for right at 600. If u can't afford 600 for a completly preped block u proably shouldn't be considering a build. My 350 for splayed caps was well over 1200 for machine work. And my dart block has about 700 in machine work and its a 1500 dollar block.

WE used WRP Watson Ruppel in Sarahsville.

We had 2300 dollars in parts and labor... block got the works new main bearings clevite, new cam bearing clevite, Reman rods w/ARP bolts, bead blaster outside, bored to 306, honed, he check bore line and all these specs I never heard of, lol new brass freeze plugs, floating pin on new forged icon pistons, new scat steel crank, balanced piston, crank, and rods think this is bob weight, had .002 grams balance front to rear, new 28 oz harmonic balancer, 28 oz flexplate, think crank was 30 oz and he had to drill some weight out of it. With all the parts and work he did I don't think 2300 was to much

Could go to garage and list everything but you get the idea, he is very very busy, but turn around was not bad, very organized shop, I was impressed with there method and layout, and how they keep you part in a tub and what not.

u can get a 350 bored, tq plate honed, decked, align honed and clearanced for a 383 rod throw for less than 600 bucks. i call bs

You left out the part where you said you run 8's. It can be done, grinding casting flash and clearencing the block would be done when the crank and rods are being installed. He is plannung on doing the assembly himself. The Machine Shop whould have no idea where to geind if all they had were a bare block.

WE used WRP Watson Ruppel in Sarahsville.

We had 2300 dollars in parts and labor... block got the works new main bearings clevite, new cam bearing clevite, Reman rods w/ARP bolts, bead blaster outside, bored to 306, honed, he check bore line and all these specs I never heard of, lol new brass freeze plugs, floating pin on new forged icon pistons, new scat steel crank, balanced piston, crank, and rods think this is bob weight, had .002 grams balance front to rear, new 28 oz harmonic balancer, 28 oz flexplate, think crank was 30 oz and he had to drill some weight out of it. With all the parts and work he did I don't think 2300 was to much

Could go to garage and list everything but you get the idea, he is very very busy, but turn around was not bad, very organized shop, I was impressed with there method and layout, and how they keep you part in a tub and what not.

WRPx6512015680

We used them for the current BBC build in our '68 chevy. Very impressive work comes out of there. Dave Watson has had several NRHA records of the years in his destroked 302 camaro.

As Ricky said, they have a very organized shop. Everything gets a tag with your name on it as soon as it comes in the door. By far one of the best machine shops I've had the pleasure of being in.

WRPx6512015680

We used them for the current BBC build in our '68 chevy. Very impressive work comes out of there. Dave Watson has had several NRHA records of the years in his destroked 302 camaro.

As Ricky said, they have a very organized shop. Everything gets a tag with your name on it as soon as it comes in the door. By far one of the best machine shops I've had the pleasure of being in.

Thanks, man Dave was also very nice and professional and will help you sort out your build and parts to use for application. Also like Nickey said he went by DR. Watson, or something like that and has a boat load of trophy's for his camaro. His son works with him and he has a sick looking camaro to run this year, it's white. Nickey we have trouble with a timing on that build, can you look over at my post in tech and see if you can shed any light for us thanks

If u want a motor to last u treat a 12 sec motor same as a 8 sec one. Every machine step is nessisary for a long lasting engine. Anyone can build a motor that fails in 1000 miles. The tq plate hone is required for a round bore and longer piston - ring life. As well as a align hone for long lasting bearings. My 355 ran for 14 yrs so far been 11.78:1 with a 6-71 blower at 10psi. Tons of spray at 12.4:1 and its went 11.02 at 127 on motor alone. Still running in my s10 blazer and will get a 225 shot.

Here is the parts list in that motor. Trw forged piston very heavy eagle sir rods and stock gm. Forged crank. This motor built improperly with shitty machine work wouldent last very long. Reason I suggest the preped summit 383 block is simple. He's not looking for much power and it its way less money with all the work done.