Sun Roof Leak (Need Advise)

PGH STEELERS

I have an 08 Caddy CTS. Ok last week when we had rain for two nights. I came out to my car the first day and there was standing water in the driver's side floor board (since my car is parted on a slight incline) and all over the top dash board, the seats in the front. The second day, water is every where and I mean every where in the front. Now my stereo, my navigation, and my heater/air conditioner is not working (the items are located in the center portion of the dash). So late last week, I checked all of my fuses and didn't find any that were bad (that I know of). The only thing I have not tried was disconnect the battery to see if that will work. Any advise will help.

That is powertrain only. It is usually 35k bumper to bumper.

Gotcha. Didn't have the details. Guess GM isn't really stepping up. Hell, even our Hyundai Minivan had a 5/60 coverage on these types of issues.

Water in the dash shorting out all that hi-tech Caddy stuff is going to hurt the wallet hard.

Typically GM sunroofs leak because the drain tube is plugged.

The tube runs from somewhere around the roof to right in front of front doors. You can try cleaning the tubes and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

Jeremiah

Typically GM sunroofs leak because the drain tube is plugged.

The tube runs from somewhere around the roof to right in front of front doors. You can try cleaning the tubes and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

Jeremiah

Yeah, that's a pretty common issue. A little bit of air sprayed through the tube and you're good to go.

Depending on the amount of water the electronics came in contact with, you could have any number of issues. Sorry, but without looking at it, it's hard to troubleshoot.

The drain pipes were clean. The second day after, I thought I would clean out the drain lines, but they were clean as a whistle. I'm not sure why this happened and it only happened on those two days. It never once did it before and hasn't happend after. After the first night, I made sure the sun roof was completely closed and it still happened. Like stated before, it hasn't happened again. I will disconnect the battery tonight to see if that does anything and if anything, I'll go over the fuses again.

The drain pipes were clean. The second day after, I thought I would clean out the drain lines, but they were clean as a whistle. I'm not sure why this happened and it only happened on those two days. It never once did it before and hasn't happend after. After the first night, I made sure the sun roof was completely closed and it still happened. Like stated before, it hasn't happened again. I will disconnect the battery tonight to see if that does anything and if anything, I'll go over the fuses again.

Possibly something was pinched in the front of the seal (leaf, spinner, etc). The water gathers in the front corners by design so if there was crap in there it would leak.

When I worked at Dave Gill many moons ago the guy responsible for these kind of repairs would sit inside the vehicle and have someone soak down the outside with a hose to search for the leak. Leaks were actually a common issue. This may be a place to start.

That's what I do, if the drain tubes are verified clear. Sit and watch, it's not a fun job but it works.

• 3 weeks later...
It was probably clogged up by the winshield near the motor compartment. I got the compressor out and blew the line out and the drain lines sounded just fine.

Often times you won't actually hear the obstruction blow out, or hear anything hit the ground. Just to be safe, I would still try sitting in the car and having someone run water over the area. Better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.

When the sunroof is closed, is it flush with the roof of the car? If its not mounted just right, water can get past the seal. I had this happen after a dealer did a recall on it, they didn't even bother tightening the bolts holding it in place so it was sitting down at an angle until I leveled it and tightened them up.