Verizon Doing Away With Unlimited Data...Ish

Bigbird

Talk about fucking over your customers.

So the monthly bill is already stupidly overpriced, because you pay a lot more per month to get a phone for a little less up front. Now they want you to keep paying a lot more to buy a phone for no "discount" at all. Which btw, you pay full price for a phone that won't work on any other carrier that's covered in Verizon logos and bloatware.

VERIZONLOLCDMALOL

Verizon is doing away with CDMA. They are rolling to VoLTE, which takes their voice completely off of CDMA as well. I would say within 5-10 years the CDMA Network Verizon runs will be done.

Their LTE Network will be larger than their 3G Network by the end of this year.

I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data. And I'm getting throttled because I went over 3GB this month. There is no way for customers to win. :-(

AT&T: No unlimited data, grandfathered plans throttled.

Vzw: No unlimited data, grandfathered being phased out.

T-Mobile: Data throttled after 2GB

Sprint: Unlimited data on the slowest network in the country.

On T-Mo I'm grandfathered in for unlimited without any throttling.

This month My wife used 1.821 GB and I used 0.128 GB totaling 1.94 on our *new* 2GB plan.

I am just pissed I have to even think about it! I never have before!

I also had wifey uninstall Spotify and Draw Something....

If we can get everyone on ATT to keep using a shit ton we can keep the top 5% to keep going higher there will be no end. I just can't wait to be able to use 4G on my next phone and not worry.

I also read you only lose unlimited data if you take a new subsidized phone so if you keep the 4s you have now you stay unlimited. Also you can pay full price for a new phone (no subsidy) and keep unlimited.

...or make any small change to your plan ..... I wouldn't even ask them a question lol

...or make any small change to your plan ..... I wouldn't even ask them a question lol

I plan on upgrading my Nexus to a hotspot in the next few months, are you saying this could make me lose my unlimited plan?

I have a buddy who until a month or two ago had an original droid (he takes good care of his phones I guess). He had unlimited data on it, and did not want to switch phones/make any changes to his contract until he was sure he would be grandfathered into another unlimited plan. He spent like 2 hours on the phone with Verizon, with several different people, until he eventually convinced someone to allow him to keep it. He apparently recorded the entire conversation using some android app.

He now has a new phone and is still grandfathered, no fuck-ups within his account yet I guess.

Also, for those wondering, he uses a slingbox to watch nearly hd-quality tv from his home cable box about anywhere he goes :).

I'm not sure about this, but if anyone wanted to move onto ATT with unlimited I heard anyone with the first iPhone was grandfathered in. You just have to buy your new phone at full retail like most of us do.

I've been using an iPhone 3GS on http://www.Straighttalk.com without any issues at all. I'm on the AT&T network getting 3G speed that is plenty fast for me, unlimited everything for $45 a month. If you have an AT&T iPhone, you can buy a straight talk SIM card for $15 and be off to the races...

I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data. And I'm getting throttled because I went over 3GB this month. There is no way for customers to win. :-(

AT&T: No unlimited data, grandfathered plans throttled.

Vzw: No unlimited data, grandfathered being phased out.

T-Mobile: Data throttled after 2GB

Sprint: Unlimited data on the slowest network in the country.

That sums it up

Use ebay for buying phones. I am probably going to go to sprint mostly because verizon won't carry the galaxy s2.

I have a galaxy s2 with sprint as my work phone... the phone itself is alright - and quite fast, but the network sucks giant balls. I find myself using my personal verizon phone to get network coverage for calls and data when my work phone cant get reception. and like others have said... sprint is very slow online, the 4g rarely works for me, and when it does its slower than verizon 3g.

I plan on upgrading my Nexus to a hotspot in the next few months, are you saying this could make me lose my unlimited plan?

I couldnt say for sure. I am just bitter lol.

BUT, if they check the wrong box or something and it does go away, you are not getting it back....

If you are simply adding something TO your existing plan you might be alright. They will always add money to your bill without problems lol

I'm grandfathered into Sprint SERO ($50/month, unlimited data, text GPS, 500 mins, blah blah blah, and NO throttling). I can upgrade every 2 years with a subsidized phone but you have to call some special group within sprint customer service.

Also, for people who are going to buy phones without a carrier discount, check out http://www.cowboom.com. I just bought a Galaxy SII because I broke my old Galaxy S for $220. They rate the quality of the stuff they sell because it's all used, and some even have pictures of the actual product you're buying. I bought my phone that was rated "5" and it's in very good condition.