Verizon Doing Away With Unlimited Data...Ish

Bigbird

I can't believe no one has posted about this yet.

http://gizmodo.com/5911254/verizon-unlimited-data-not-quite-dead-but-theres-no-point-in-keeping-it

As someone that uses ~30 gigs of data a month, I was wigging out this morning. Turns out you just have to buy phones elsewhere from now on (full price, or wait for their value to drop), to keep your unlimited plan. Considering I paid full price for my Nexus, I guess I was already on that path anyway. I'm just glad I get to keep my data.

30 gigs of data through the phone is crazy, is it your main internet source . I have verizon unlimited thanks for heads up I figured this would happen abotu time I'm in upgrade window, June 5th, oh well.

I watch a lot of Netflix....lol you'd be surprised how easy it is to rack up data usage with video streaming. I barely even touch my phone at home though. So no, I don't just use my phone's data for everything.

^ no shit...i sat at work for 2 weeks watching 3 seasons of breaking bad on netflix, and some other shit, as well as normal usage, and barely cracked 8gb.

but if its not starting until next year, and my upgrade is available 2 months ago, i'll be upgrading before that happens.

^ no shit...i sat at work for 2 weeks watching 3 seasons of breaking bad on netflix, and some other shit, as well as normal usage, and barely cracked 8gb.

but if its not starting until next year, and my upgrade is available 2 months ago, i'll be upgrading before that happens.

Word is that it could be as early as next month. Which has me bummed because I wanted to get one more cheap upgrade when I'm eligible in July. I've always had a soft spot for Sense so I wanted to be able to go with an HTC phone, or my Nexus depending on my mood lol.

Talk about fucking over your customers.

So the monthly bill is already stupidly overpriced, because you pay a lot more per month to get a phone for a little less up front. Now they want you to keep paying a lot more to buy a phone for no "discount" at all. Which btw, you pay full price for a phone that won't work on any other carrier that's covered in Verizon logos and bloatware.

VERIZONLOLCDMALOL

Not long ago I switched the plan into my wifes name for a work discount. NOTHING was supposed to change other than that...

We end up with a fucking brand new account number, and what?...of course 2 gigs of fucking data. YAY.

There is absolutely no way of getting it back either. Even if there was the stupid fucks at Verizon are all brainless dimwits.

I am saddened I still have nearly a full term left wit these imbeciles....

I have had unlimited data from AT&T for years. Grandfathered in on old plan.

I just recently got a text from them saying if I go over 8gig again they will slow down my speed. Never once have they talked about kicking me off unlimited data.

Use ebay for buying phones. I am probably going to go to sprint mostly because verizon won't carry the galaxy s2.

Thats the plan. The company loses money on the phones and unlimited plans can slow profit. Put the two together and it could take over a year to see a profit from a customer. If you get your phone from someone else thats a $300+ discount verizon doesnt have to eat and makes unlimited possible. Manufacturers charge way too much for phones so you will see people going away from contracts and discounts.

I have had unlimited data from AT&T for years. Grandfathered in on old plan.

I just recently got a text from them saying if I go over 8gig again they will slow down my speed. Never once have they talked about kicking me off unlimited data.

I'd text them back saying, "Don't sweat it. You just lost me as a customer."

http://orcaonline.org/images/logos/reel-talk-logo.gif

Thats the plan. The company loses money on the phones and unlimited plans can slow profit. Put the two together and it could take over a year to see a profit from a customer. If you get your phone from someone else thats a $300+ discount verizon doesnt have to eat and makes unlimited possible. Manufacturers charge way too much for phones so you will see people going away from contracts and discounts.

That is cool and logical but I don't really care. I've been with verizon since 2000 with the same phone number. They have made shit tons of money off me already. They could make an exception but they won't, even if I talk to a manager it won't matter.

That is cool and logical but I don't really care. I've been with verizon since 2000 with the same phone number. They have made shit tons of money off me already. They could make an exception but they won't, even if I talk to a manager it won't matter.

Yeah, if this happens it will be an update to the computer system. Its not a matter of not wanting to, its a matter of not being possible.

Talk about fucking over your customers.

So the monthly bill is already stupidly overpriced, because you pay a lot more per month to get a phone for a little less up front. Now they want you to keep paying a lot more to buy a phone for no "discount" at all. Which btw, you pay full price for a phone that won't work on any other carrier that's covered in Verizon logos and bloatware.

VERIZONLOLCDMALOL

Reasons I'm thinking about trying to pick up an HTC Rezound. Apparently they don't advertise it as so, but it's got GSM radios in it as well. There's a new ROM that someone just brought out that allows you to use it on other carriers with their SIM cards. That way if they ever do decide to drop unlimited data completely I would already have a phone that could work on another carrier.

I'm grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data. And I'm getting throttled because I went over 3GB this month. There is no way for customers to win. :-(

AT&T: No unlimited data, grandfathered plans throttled.

Vzw: No unlimited data, grandfathered being phased out.

T-Mobile: Data throttled after 2GB

Sprint: Unlimited data on the slowest network in the country.