VM R32 thoughts?

Versluis

I'm looking into selling my 04 IS300 with 112k and getting into an 08 R32. I want to see what everyone thinks and if there are any major issues with these vehicles. I found a couple that I have my eye on with miles around 50k. I have never owned a VW but have always had a thing for the R32.

a DD that is AWD and has some power. I like the sound of these cars and by reading up on there is a little more of "solid" car compared to EVO and STi. I like the interior in these and will not be tracking the car. Stick is not a big deal at this time, I will get into a manual later down the road, how is the DSG tranny?

I have driven them countless times, almost bought one 3 times lol.

There were 2 downsides when I was looking, and I couldn't get over 1.

#1 was gas mileage. Highway is rated at 23, so if you baby it, you might see 25 at 65mph. I was traveling 75 and it said something like 18mpg. I could have easily gotten over this if it weren't for #2.

#2 was DSG. I owned a 2006 GTI DSG for 40k miles. It was great initially, but got really boring after the honeymoon period wore off. The R32 begs for a 6mt. It works well with the 3.2, but it just sucks the fun out of the car.

I absolutely LOVE the way the MKV's look (obviously), and if they came in a 6mt, I'd own one.

Other than the 2 above, there isn't much to dislike about the car. It is a bit portly, a bit slow, and a bit expensive for most.

The DSG has a learning curve. You will have to learn how to drive the car to get it to do what you want seamlessly, such as if you are accelerating, and want to downshift, you need to let off the gas for a split second. This will switch the second shaft in the trans from going to the higher gear, and have it go to the lower gear, allowing the fastest downshift possible. There is plenty of info online about this kind of stuff.

yeah those things dont scare me too much, my IS doesnt get that great of mileage either. How is the maintence on the R32? Are these vehicles expensive to upgrade like intake, exhaust, springs. How is the radio in them. They seem to come pretty loaded from the facotry.

Maint is a bit more than usual, as the DSG needs done every 40k, haldex needs done regularly too. Other than those items, its just filters (fuel, cabin, air, oil), oil changes and wear itesm.

Intakes are 200-500, exhausts are 4-800 and springs are 200-400. Don't know how that compares to other cars, but I think its pretty reasonable.

Radio is pretty good, its not amazing, but good. Has sirius, 6 disc changer, aux input, etc.

What are you looking from your car? If you have an auto IS300, you could do valve body mods, trans controller, turbo with 20-30 psi for decent fun.

I personally like the r32's and wish VW stuck with them. Since I originally started in air cooled vw's, I can't own anything VW thats not aircooled.

Picking up a MKIV R32 in a week or so, myself :D

actually just bought the one i was looking at. went and drove the blue one at Byers and fell in love. Going to get it tomorrow in Perry, OH. Its an 08 with 31k, full clear bra and tint. No navi but I could care less. A 50 year old has owned it and all the service and recalls are up to date. The car is also a CPO but will need to transfer that. Pretty pumped on picking it up tomorrow. Also, going to be my first actual car, all my money.

I sold the blue one (I work for Byers) to a friend of mine. Awesome cars regardless of the DSG. Have fun with it man.

Now get a resonator delete and enjoy the boner :masturboy:

From what I hear it was tuned too! :fuckyeah: The new owner didn't even know.

I always loved the mkiv R32. But the mkv not as much. Mostly they're pretty weak cars. They lose so much power with the dsg and awd, not to mention are heavy. Couple dynos on YouTube of them barely breaking 200whp.

Never seemed worth the price tag to me.

They do sound sexy with an exhaust though.

Counting down the days until I fly out to Florida to pick up my MKIV.

2004 R32 with 53k miles, APR chip and flapper mod as well as various little aesthetic mods, otherwise original. I was searching high and low for a clean silver, and found this gem with the cloth insert Koenig Recaros which only made it in 35% of R32s :eek:! PO was asking 15k and I was able to talk him down to 14k... so excited!

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/jr_ss/Forsale/VW003.jpg?t=1332975446

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt352/jr_ss/Forsale/VW008.jpg?t=1332975477