FRS > Cayman

Farkas

The brake pad thing was hilarious.

Draco, it sounds just as silly to pinpoint a single thing it can do better, you are right.

To others, its exactly the same as the BRZ/FRS is being pinpointed as "fun to drive" when being defended.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article says average.

I've seen skid pad numbers as high as 0.96 for this car. And keep in mind this is on the stock 215-wide Michelin Primacy HP tires which are low-rolling resistance summer touring tires. Essentially, performance tires for a Prius or economy tires for a Porsche.

I believe the STI has a skid pad rating of 0.86 on RE070s.

I meant average for all tests, not the avg of their runs, but I digress.

I wish they could throw some summer tires on these and see what they really do.

I tend to hate any car I can't fit in, and this car I will certainly not fit in! :yuno:

Yes, it "answers the demands of the enthusiasts," but the answer really isn't good enough. It would have been a great car a decade ago, and it would be a good value at the original price the makers touted. As it is, though, it isn't the Second Coming that it was hyped to be.

Maybe when these are common on the road, they'll redeem themselves and the stat worshipers will be shouted down. Or perhaps some aftermarket wizardry will make them desirable to a wider market.

Like many, I had a lot of hope for this product, but so far I'm feeling a bit let down. Time will tell.

The only reason I'm not seriously looking at this car is that it's a completely new design/engine. How many times do you hear never to buy the first model year of anything. See you in 2014, BRZ

If the 2013 is the first model year, waiting for the second usually won't be enough.

In the VW world, its about every 1.5 years that they make a change, or refresh. Just keep that in mind.

This is from TCL on vortex, which sums up a lot of fags on this board, pretty well.

I agree with that excerpt 100% - and I feel bad for the manufacturers being torn apart over this car. I think it's fantastic for what it is and what it aims for, my only gripe since day 1 has been that it's priced a little high. There's a slew of cars right there at ~$25K that destroy the FR-S/BRZ in every number category imaginable that are arguably just as much of a "driver's car" (I'm partial to the WRX, of course). I'd love to drive a BRZ, but I don't see myself buying one, at least new, ever. Maybe if they brought over a model without HIDs, Navigation, etc., priced closer to $19-20K, I'd be all over it, but not at $25K.

Nevertheless, take out the dollar signs, and it's a fantastic vehicle IMO.

The brake pad thing was hilarious.

Draco, it sounds just as silly to pinpoint a single thing it can do better, you are right.

To others, its exactly the same as the BRZ/FRS is being pinpointed as "fun to drive" when being defended.

Well, since it's impossible to put an objective measurement on a subjective aspect, it's tough to prove that.

However, here are the facts:

It has a lower CG than most any car out there. This is good for just about anything you want to do with the car.

The weight is kept inside the wheelbase as much as possible which helps it's responsiveness.

The suspension is firm and allows for neutral handling or controlled oversteer.

Steering is quick and communicative as has been reported by nearly every review.

The wheel and shifter are in positions that are comfortable and intuitive.

Throttle response is good and pedal position is excellent for heel-toe.

That adds up to an enjoyable drive, IMO. The only thing it lacks is the ability to crush your organs against your spine.

Here's a review by someone who is not paid by a magazine and is coming from an Exige S. He has every reason to find this car disappointing. And granted, he does in the areas you'd expect coming from an Exige. But he still enjoyed it.

Just got an interesting PM on FT86Club. Seems the 2nd guy on the wait list at Byers was called and told they had just got in their first BRZ.

They didn't call me and that BRZ should be mine. :fuuuu:

Going to call them tomorrow and see what's up.

Or I might do the stalker thing and drive through their lot tonight... :masturboy:

If the 2013 is the first model year, waiting for the second usually won't be enough.

In the VW world, its about every 1.5 years that they make a change, or refresh. Just keep that in mind.

Subaru changed the WRX from the new 2008my to 2009my drastically due to buyer backlash about the handling. So they have acted quickly in the past. But likely there will be updates. I don't mind. By the time I'm ready to trade the BRZ, there will be a better version available. Or maybe even something better from another manufacturer.

EDIT: Honet Triple ftw.

Just got an interesting PM on FT86Club. Seems the 2nd guy on the wait list at Byers was called and told they had just got in their first BRZ.

They didn't call me and that BRZ should be mine. :fuuuu:

Going to call them tomorrow and see what's up.

Or I might do the stalker thing and drive through their lot tonight... :masturboy:

I have heard dealers doing this to make more money, but you said you have a good relationship with them, so hopefully it was a misunderstanding.

Good luck!

Subaru changed the WRX from the new 2008my to 2009my drastically due to buyer backlash about the handling. So they have acted quickly in the past. But likely there will be updates. I don't mind. By the time I'm ready to trade the BRZ, there will be a better version available. Or maybe even something better from another manufacturer.

EDIT: Honet Triple ftw.

I wasn't saying it couldn't happen, just that it might not be enough time.

The resale the first 2 years if not longer will be insane on this car, so its a win win for the first adopters.

Well, did the stalker routine. No BRZ on the lot, in the showroom, or in Service. So either one of the sales guys took it home (hopefully Chad) or there's a miscommunication somewhere. I'll call them first thing and see what's going on.

I have heard dealers doing this to make more money, but you said you have a good relationship with them, so hopefully it was a misunderstanding.

Good luck!

There's no more money to get from me. I have it in writing that I'm paying MSRP. And if they do try to screw me, there's a lot of local Subaru owners and buyers who will hear about it. But I trust Chad. He's active in the local Subaru community and has made a lot of money because of it, and I don't think he would jeopardize that over one car.

Well, did the stalker routine. No BRZ on the lot, in the showroom, or in Service. So either one of the sales guys took it home (hopefully Chad) or there's a miscommunication somewhere. I'll call them first thing and see what's going on.

There's no more money to get from me. I have it in writing that I'm paying MSRP. And if they do try to screw me, there's a lot of local Subaru owners and buyers who will hear about it. But I trust Chad. He's active in the local Subaru community and has made a lot of money because of it, and I don't think he would jeopardize that over one car.

Suddenly 5k mark up for lack of availability. LOL

No way Chad takes home someone's ordered brand new car. My STi was ordered by him and when I got there it still had the white plastic on the paint and was completely covered in frost from sitting on the truck.

No way Chad takes home someone's ordered brand new car. My STi was ordered by him and when I got there it still had the white plastic on the paint and was completely covered in frost from sitting on the truck.

Makes me wonder where it is then. I'll find out at 9 when they open.

yeah, but its the middle of '12 and they are delivering '13 cars. '14 should should be good enough for any minor tweaks.

i.e. like chevy shipping out sonics without brakes. they fixed that pretty quickly