FRS > Cayman

Farkas

I stopped by at Byers Import subaru to look at one after test driving the Jaguar,

they have SWP one in the lot, looks sharp, tail lights need to be tinted though imo..

Yeah, after further discussion with the guy I thought was #2 on the list at Byers Mazda Subaru, it turns out he's been talking about Byers Imports all this time. :fuuuu:

Still, mine should be showing up any time now.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motor Trend's 6 best bang for the buck cars under 28K.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6776

There are .pdf scans in the thread.

It is impressive the only FWD vehicle on the list is the GTI!

They seemed to do a good job of getting cars that are within a stones throw on the track, stock.

Cool article. Thanks.

For those crying "MOAR POWAHH!!" you'll like this:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/05/fredric-aasbo-announcing-the-2jz-speedhunters-toyota-86-x/

A 2JZ will get crammed under the hood of a GT-86 (FR-S). They're going to start with a 700hp powertrain and will eventually put in a 3.4L stroker. (1K HP maybe?)

As an enthusiast of cars in general and especially taking to the corners it's rare a car like this comes along, especially these days. Next year once the fever has died off I plan on going to drive one of these, yes me drive a Subaru(hell has def frozen over), as the Subi has a lot more options than the Scion which is why I prefer it.

They say the CG is near the best of any car out there, it's light(for a modern car) and well balanced, the driving position is ideal so they say. Sounds like it's worth a look as I will either be selling the Stang by then or staying with it for the long haul.

I saw the white BRZ at Byer's yesterday while stopping in while getting some parts for the wife's GLI and getting it washed. ;) I'm still mad about the prices they said they would come out at. I would of been in line waiting to sign on the line for one to buy my first NEW car. I'm just going to finish my Audi and play with them when I see one.

I saw the white BRZ at Byer's yesterday while stopping in while getting some parts for the wife's GLI and getting it washed. ;) I'm still mad about the prices they said they would come out at. I would of been in line waiting to sign on the line for one to buy my first NEW car. I'm just going to finish my Audi and play with them when I see one.

Actually, they did hit the price they announced, believe it or not. You can thank inflation and global market forces for our prices.

Remember, these are Japanese companies. Their original announcement was to be sub 2M Yen. The base model GT-86 is 1.9M Yen. Unfortunately for us, we've seen a lot of inflation in the last 4-6 years, and the Yen has become very strong against the dollar recently as well.

The thing is, when you look at the closest competitors (nicely listed by the Motor Trend article above plus the Mini) the price of the FR-S, BRZ Premium, and BRZ Limited span the average prices of the group. Their US pricing is spot on.

Plus, it's cheaper to buy one here in the US than it would be in Japan or anywhere else in the world.

EDIT: to add more perspective to this, if you read the MT article above, apparently the average purchased US car price is $31K now.

I was talking about the Toyota car coming in around 18K in some of the first talk about price.

Well, the first talk was "sub $20,000" which was based on the Yen 4 years ago. 18K would put the BRZ/FR-S at THOUSANDS below it's competition. That's not going to happen. The world changes.

Anyone who pays a dealership mark up deserves to.

At least that dealership is up front about it. There's a Blacklist thread on FT86Club of dealerships that try to slip in a markup after someone's put a deposit down and other bad behavior.

Apparently Pure-Price isn't any help either. Pure-Price just means you pay what's on the sticker. The Scion dealership can do what this one did and apply an add-on sticker to charge whatever they want.

The good news is that there are PLENTY of dealerships selling these for MSRP. Only the lazy and stupid are going to pay those markups.

Guest GMoney
I signed up for the drive day i just can't see this car being that much better than my 1998 2.8 200hp 2500lb $5000 Z3. No matter what maths you do it just doesn't add up. In two years when it turboed then the maths will add up.