supercharged 3800 swap help

Duff1647545513

I got a motor, trans and supercharger out of an '04 Regal to put in my '98 GTP. We have everything already in the car, but are unable to get it to try to turn over. I've called several places and googled the hell out of it, but I keep getting different answers from everyone about what will make it work. I have a PCM from an '03 GTP that was sent with all the shits. I swapped all of the plugs over that didn't match up from the old motor (or at least I'm pretty sure I got them all), like a couple places said to, so my wiring harness would work. Then I found out the PCM I have needs to have security removed from it to make it work with the car. When I called a shop that was able to do it, they said the PCM from my '98 would work fine because the electronics from that year of Regal are the same, and just save my money and don't worry about removing the security from the '03. Hooked that PCM up and still nothing. I would prefer to use the '98 PCM if possible because it already has a tune on it, but if I have to use the '03, then that's fine too.

At this point, I'm just sick of being told different shit because I have basically zero time to work on it since I'm always out of state and honestly I don't know shit about this kind of stuff which is just making it that much more difficult. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know a lot about this stuff and think you could fix it fairly quick, I would be happy to reimburse you for gas and buy you beer if you could come help me get it running out here in London.

Sounds like a voltage issue. But IIRC the 2003 pcm was completely different than all other years and had differences that prevented its use. Seem to remember people having to swap to other year pcms that had 2003's if they wanted a tune and such.

I'm guessing you have checked battery voltage and voltage at starter?

Yes at the battery for sure, I could probably double check again though. I never remember what all I have and haven't done because I only get to it maybe a couple hours a month.

Sounds like a voltage issue. But IIRC the 2003 pcm was completely different than all other years and had differences that prevented its use. Seem to remember people having to swap to other year pcms that had 2003's if they wanted a tune and such.

That's what the one shop said too. They were just going to basically turn it into a '98 PCM and I told them I still have one so they said to just use it

Well to start I would put a socked on the crank and try to turn the motor by hand to make sure its not locked up.. If it turns ok, then I would check voltage at the starter. Or remove the starter and have it checked to see if its working properly.

turn the security off?

enter 255 on the BCM/PCM controls.

Make sure the trans is in park also. Sometimes the linkage ends up a few clicks off during a swap. Also find someone with a powertuner, i sold my PT a few months ago.

Edited by GTPSS

Yeah. I didnt read the entire thing since i was on my phone :(

Ive done over 40 of these swaps and just threw out the top things people miss. I did have 1 voltage issue in all the swaps, even tho everything tested fine (bat, alt, wiring). The final verdict was the battery just couldnt crank the 3800. Try jumping it to see if it fires, not a battery charger!

Yeah, you definitely need the '03 PCM

Yep. If the part numbers are different on the 98 and 03 (which they probably are) it won't work.. no matter what you flash it to.

Have you tried to flash an 04 BIN file on it?

I have a power tuner and could swing by this weekend and try that if you want.

Have you tried scanning the car for codes? Even if it doesn't start it should throw some codes if its in the PCM.

Yep. If the part numbers are different on the 98 and 03 (which they probably are) it won't work.. no matter what you flash it to.

Have you tried scanning the car for codes? Even if it doesn't start it should throw some codes if its in the PCM.

IIRC 99-03=same PCM

98 same style PCM, different OS.

I don't remember the security details. Some let you drive it 10minutes, some crank, some do nothing. I just can't recal the 98 security settings (02 Monte will let you drive it 10minutes at a time after each code clear).

There still could be a security issue preventing starting however if the starter "clicks" it will let you crank it regardless.

Buck-He def needs help on the tune side!

If you could do that man, that would be awesome. I haven't tried flashing it with anything yet since I was told the '98 would work. Haven't been able to scan it either.

IIRC 99-03=same PCM

98 same style PCM, different OS.

I don't remember the security details. Some let you drive it 10minutes, some crank, some do nothing. I just can't recal the 98 security settings (02 Monte will let you drive it 10minutes at a time after each code clear).

There still could be a security issue preventing starting however if the starter "clicks" it will let you crank it regardless.

Buck-He def needs help on the tune side!

Gotcha. I knew some years were different. Just couldn't remember which ones. As for the tuning. I know enough to be dangerous.

If you could do that man, that would be awesome. I haven't tried flashing it with anything yet since I was told the '98 would work. Haven't been able to scan it either.

PM me your address and we'll see what the weekend looks like. I need to do some yard work tomorrow though.

I've run into something similar when helping a member swap the 4T80 for the 65 -- because of TCC control differences, the 03 PCM needs to be used.

However, the 2003+ utilizes a different starting system. Starter relay is directly connected to the PCM.

What's your email? I can email all of the wiring/no start diags.