lq4 build. need some advice.

LeonbergerG

To go boosted while keeping the power steering and air isn't cheap (depends on your idea of cheap). If it could be done right for $2k I'd do it, but for $2k you'd have to give up quality or A/C. $5-6k it's pretty possible to either go turbo or Procharger, unless you can find some good used parts. Just my 2 cents. You will have some who will argue with me, but I am only sharing my opinion. Buying a C6 manifold and a chinabay turbo so you can boost a built motor is stupid in my opinion, just because its cheap doesn't make it a good option.

Ok. Think I'm just going to stick with N/A for now. Not spending that much to go boosted. Plus car would need other stuff that costs money....

Was reading up on these 317 heads I have and am finding out that a lot of people are welding up the chambers to bump compression. I have talked to my machine shop and he says he can do just the welding for around 200 then I would take them and port/ polish and reshape the chambers and then let him finish the valves and any other work that would need done. Would it be worth doing all that to stay under budget?

I haven't read your entire post as I'm on my phone riding in the car at the moment. I've got an entire rotating assembly for a 408 and l92's. Callies forged 4" crank and callies rods. Weisco pistons with the l92's put it right at 11:1. All the parts are brand new from Texas speed. If your interested let me know! Good luck with the build!

With 317 heads and a lq4 short block the cr should be around 9.4:1. If you plan on a turbo down the road I don't think it would be worth the trouble to change those heads, then probably want another stock set later. Also it might be hard to get rid of a set of heads that are modified like that if or when you do want another set. I have 317 heads on my truck with 9.2:1, and a tiny 212/218 .59/.60@115 cam, and before the turbo it made 33xwhp/35xwtq through an 80e and transfer case. I suffered through for 1 1/2 years, but now with boost it made 627whp/653wtq so it was worth it to me.