Dog attack....

Putty

My parents were heading to a friends house for a cookout yesterday. This lady was the host. She went on a brief walk beforehand and this was the outcome.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/05/28/columbus-man-fires-shots-at-dogs-who-attacked-woman-77.html

She has to have some reconstructive surgeries and some areas they were having difficulties getting the bleeding to stop.

My neighbors mock me that I ride my bike with my daughter while carrying my pistol. Too many people have the "he won't bite" attitude with dogs.

My parents were heading to a friends house for a cookout yesterday. This lady was the host. She went on a brief walk beforehand and this was the outcome.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/05/28/columbus-man-fires-shots-at-dogs-who-attacked-woman-77.html

She has to have some reconstructive surgeries and some areas they were having difficulties getting the bleeding to stop.

My neighbors mock me that I ride my bike with my daughter while carrying my pistol. Too many people have the "he won't bite" attitude with dogs.

Best advice I have ever been given when it comes to animals and hookers: if they have teeth they can bite.

I think it is VERY smart you are packing when you have your child, a ticket for shooting the gun in town is better than a tragic end with your daughter.

With the reputation these animals have, I can't imagine why anyone would want to own it. Yeah yeah, bad breeders, etc, but still!! No way I'd ever leave my child alone with a Pit bull.

Too many people have the "he won't bite" attitude with dogs.

Too many people have the "dogs are people too", "dogs are cuddly pets and I don't want to hurt them", or "dogs are vicious wolves that can't be beaten" attitude with dogs. Granted, an ederly woman may not be in the best shape to take out a large dog, but for one I'd shoot myself or grab a dogs throat and rip it out McGruber style.

With the reputation these animals have, I can't imagine why anyone would want to own it. Yeah yeah, bad breeders, etc, but still!! No way I'd ever leave my child alone with a Pit bull.

You never leave any dog alone with a small child, but I would trust many amstaffs and pitbulls with 2+ yr old children.

Too many people have the "dogs are people too",

THIS! I grew up with animals and owned a few in my adult life, but a dog is a dog to me. I don't allow them on my furniture or my bed! Especially my damn bed.!!!!!

You never leave any dog alone with a small child, but I would trust many amstaffs and pitbulls with 2+ yr old children.

This. My friend has a South African Boerboel that is the sweetest dog I know, but he is not allowed anywhere near the 1 year old member of the family. Not worth the risk just because she thinks/knows her dog is sweet.

This. My friend has a South African Boerboel that is the sweetest dog I know, but he is not allowed anywhere near the 1 year old member of the family. Not worth the risk just because she thinks/knows her dog is sweet.

I appreciate the safety your friends are taking here, but I don't understand why you would want that risk. Seems to me this is eventually become more of a problem for them because the dog will not be familiar with this child as it gets older, which increases the chances of it going after the kid. That's just me talking....

^^ this. As a father, I must say, I wouldn't leave my 6 & 9 year alone with any animal or alone period for that matter. We have a part pit mix and he's one of the best dogs we've owned. He's no more protective than our Boxer and she's a sweat heart.

I always take my CCW on walks. Alone, with the dogs or with my family. I worry more about people than dogs on any given day, but in the end, I worry less knowing I can protect everyone when needed and with more than just mace or my bare hands. Even in the burbs.

Dogs are not people. Nothing wrong with spending tons of money on them as if they were your children. If you treat them as equals they will not listen to you. If that happens they might attack other humans they think are equals.

I appreciate the safety your friends are taking here, but I don't understand why you would want that risk. Seems to me this is eventually become more of a problem for them because the dog will not be familiar with this child as it gets older, which increases the chances of it going after the kid. That's just me talking....

Dog lives on 150 acre farm in Albany, OH with grandma, kid lives elsewhere. Parents are both in the piucture.

I always take my CCW on walks. Alone, with the dogs or with my family. I worry more about people than dogs on any given day, but in the end, I worry less knowing I can protect everyone when needed and with more than just mace or my bare hands. Even in the burbs.

Seriously?

The day I feel the need to pack heat on a stroll in Northwest Columbus will be the day I move. In 20+ years of living on/near the west/northwest side I can think of ONE occasion where I would have needed a weapon (dude standing in the middle of the street absolutely gone on PCP stopping cars and fighting people)

Back to the thread my buddy got mauled by a few pits back in the day (south side), filed a lawsuit and wound up with a nice chunk of change $$$

Seriously?

The day I feel the need to pack heat on a stroll in Northwest Columbus will be the day I move. In 20+ years of living on/near the west/northwest side I can think of ONE occasion where I would have needed a weapon (dude standing in the middle of the street absolutely gone on PCP stopping cars and fighting people)

Back to the thread my buddy got mauled by a few pits back in the day (south side), filed a lawsuit and wound up with a nice chunk of change $$$

See: victim

Seriously?

The day I feel the need to pack heat on a stroll in Northwest Columbus will be the day I move. In 20+ years of living on/near the west/northwest side I can think of ONE occasion where I would have needed a weapon (dude standing in the middle of the street absolutely gone on PCP stopping cars and fighting people) Back to the thread my buddy got mauled by a few pits back in the day (south side), filed a lawsuit and wound up with a nice chunk of change $$$

Yep. I carry a kubaton too. Very nice area of town too up here too. However, robberies and muggings happen all over. The guy shot in the Dublin Sunoco near Christmas time is the second shooting there since we've lived here. Think about it. I get gas there all the time. NW Cbus/Dublin isn't immune.

I've also had two instances in my neighborhood where multiple dogs have gotten loose from an owners yard and come after me, my family and dogs while on a walk. Thankfully both instances resulted in dogs fighting vs dog on kid or dog on me or the wife. Those instances would not have ended nicely at all. Perhaps you're better off fighting off dogs than me. Me; that's not a situation I want to try with my bare hands.

Lastly, I have a CCW for a reason; to carry it for the time that matters which isn't something you or I will ever be in control of occurring. Calling my carrying my firearm with me laughable to you but I bet the victim in this article and her friend will come to my side to debate that statement. If you have the proper weapon for the occasion, it's like wearing a watch. Not a big deal.

I carry this little 5 shot gem a lot as it easily fits in my pocket. In terms of home defense, I have much more fun toys, all much larger and suited for that purpose :gabe:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/Weapons/swairweightsizesbi-1.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

Yep. I carry a kubaton too. Very nice area of town too up here too. However, robberies and muggings happen all over. The guy shot in the Dublin Sunoco near Christmas time is the second shooting there since we've lived here. Think about it. I get gas there all the time. NW Cbus/Dublin isn't immune.

I've also had two instances in my neighborhood where multiple dogs have gotten loose from an owners yard and come after me, my family and dogs while on a walk. Thankfully both instances resulted in dogs fighting vs dog on kid or dog on me or the wife. Those instances would not have ended nicely at all. Perhaps you're better off fighting off dogs than me. Me; that's not a situation I want to try with my bare hands.

Lastly, I have a CCW for a reason; to carry it for the time that matters which isn't something you or I will ever be in control of occurring. Calling my carrying my firearm with me laughable to you but I bet the victim in this article and her friend will come to my side to debate that statement. If you have the proper weapon for the occasion, it's like wearing a watch. Not a big deal.

I carry this little 5 shot gem a lot as it easily fits in my pocket. In terms of home defense, I have much more fun toys, all much larger and suited for that purpose :gabe:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/Weapons/swairweightsizesbi-1.jpg

True, shit does happen over here, but it's not like there are people hooking crack on the corners. I mean certain parts of Columbus I would probably CC at all times, but I guess I don't feel the need around hear. Moreover if I do feel the need I would probably consider moving, not Necc. because I am afraid to defend myself, but more because the housing prices/quality of living would likely go down the toilet, personally I don't care for much more drama in my life then I already have. Not to mention if/when I have kids I don't want them growing up in that kind of environment.

And im not against CC in any way shape or form, just think some people take it a little to far and resort to pulling a gun when they could have resolved the issue verbally. Lived down in Florida for a few years and people down there got shot and killed left and right over stupid shit. Alot of those people were law-abiding CC citizens who pulled a gun because they could, only to get shot by the other guy who then claimed he was "defending himself". Only a matter of time before you start hearing about it here.

True, shit does happen over here, but it's not like there are people hooking crack on the corners. I mean certain parts of Columbus I would probably CC at all times, but I guess I don't feel the need around hear.

I don't feel the need, I feel the right and interest in exercising that right. Just like I carry my phone with a camera on it with me at all times. It's 100% concealed so it's not like I'm walking with a side arm showing.

Moreover if I do feel the need I would probably consider moving, not Necc. because I am afraid to defend myself, but more because the housing prices/quality of living would likely go down the toilet,
Our area is great and again, it's less of a need and more of a right and interest.

Not to mention if/when I have kids I don't want them growing up in that kind of environment.
Not sure if you're referencing a poor area of town or guns but just in case, my kids have been around guns since day one and respect them. My son is 9 started target practice events with a pellet rifle last year and goes to the farm with me to hunt and shoot (although he shoots pellets).

And im not against CC in any way shape or form, just think some people take it a little to far and resort to pulling a gun when they could have resolved the issue verbally.
I agree, but I'm not one of those people. Besides in context to this story, there's no verbally resolving a dog attack.

I don't feel the need, I feel the right and interest in exercising that right. Just like I carry my phone with a camera on it with me at all times. It's 100% concealed so it's not like I'm walking with a side arm showing.

Our area is great and again, it's less of a need and more of a right and interest.

Not sure if you're referencing a poor area of town or guns but just in case, my kids have been around guns since day one and respect them. My son is 9 started target practice events with a pellet rifle last year and goes to the farm with me to hunt and shoot (although he shoots pellets).

I agree, but I'm not one of those people. Besides in context to this story, there's no verbally resolving a dog attack.

Right on with the rights and interest bit. And with the whole kids thing I don't want to raise them with an attitude that they need to carry a gun in order to feel safe in there neighborhood. Im pretty sure we're on the same page.

Right on with the rights and interest bit. And with the whole kids thing I don't want to raise them with an attitude that they need to carry a gun in order to feel safe in there neighborhood. Im pretty sure we're on the same page.

There is no such thing as a "safe neighborhood". Simply doesn't exist. Remember when we thought America would never see an attack again the likes of Pearl Harbor then 9/11 went down? If crime happens in Whitehall it isn't too far to travel up to Dublin.

Just my thoughts though.

And with the whole kids thing I don't want to raise them with an attitude that they need to carry a gun in order to feel safe in there neighborhood.

My kids don't feel that at all. I raise them to understand that you need to always be aware of your surroundings and to be prepared if and when something happens. That's way better than being a sad news story or a statistic. They hardly live in fear.

I took CPR Classes for the knowledge of being prepared. I never, ever expected to use it, but just last summer witnessed a heart attack at CMH and helped a nurse who was in the right place at the right time. I'm not a medic, but I value the knowledge of knowing how to handle such situations and seeing as no one else outside her and I acted or knew what to do, am glad I took those classes. I'm not a cop or a soldier either, but being able to handle a firearm is another skill I think every American should have.

That said, they know how to keep themselves safe and are learning about rights they have. In fact this memorial day weekend marked a great weekend of discussing this very subject with my son as we went shooting on the farm.

Overall, yeah, I believe we're on the same page.

If you have the proper weapon for the occasion, it's like wearing a watch. Not a big deal.

Very true, it is supposed to be comfortable and easy. If not then you won't carry it. That seemed to be a problem with me during hot summer months. It is not comfortable and sometimes doesn't come with me :/

Very true, it is supposed to be comfortable and easy. If not then you won't carry it. That seemed to be a problem with me during hot summer months. It is not comfortable and sometimes doesn't come with me :/

I'll trade you an ultrasuperduperlightweight .22 with a scope for your carry piece. :gabe: