what would u build. 3rd gen camaro turbo ls or 4th gen

Mattsv8

well I'm selling my 89 v8 s10 blazer and want to build a car. Something with more room inside and fun. I want something I can get in and drive whenever but still run a good number somewhere in the single digits. My original plan was to modify my 02 camaro with a 370" turbo setup and keep the t56. But I also want to keep it as my daily driver from summer to fall. So I can build a truck manifold 4th gen turbo kit or one with ac. Or I can do a 3rd gen camaro ls swap turbo setup.

Pros: 4th gen

Proably no or little rust

Millions of ls parts

Already a ls

Already have a new bmr turbo k member

Already have subframe connectors weld in

Already have a spohn panhard bar

A th400 swap is just a spacer

Cons: needs a aftermarket tq arm

Pros: 89 camaro

Not a ls so all kinds of engine bay space

Rad sits upright easily

Already have a spohn th400 trans mount tq arm combo with ds loop

Cons:

Would need all 4th gen wiring for the fi setup. Swap k member w rack conversion

A different hood

And some interior work

Proably more money for a rust free car than a 4th gen

Proably heavier

Both need a moser 9". Shocks strus. And some odds and ends

So which would u do? Money is tight so will be a low budget build at first and progress slowly.

I really like the looks of a clean 3rd gen. This is what I want but a 4th gen makes more sense cause its already a ls platform.

Edited by Mattsv8

Sounds to me like in your head you know both will take work but if you want the third gen do it sounds like you are only leaning to a fourth gen cause you will be able to do it easier but I know you are not one to cut the corner just to take the easy route

Never been a 2nd gen fan I do like the split bumper 70 if its done right. I can still do a turbo ls swap in the blazer too. Wich blazers hook like crazy but still would be a lil small inside with a cage

Have u ever saw the one on theturboforums. Made 1260wheel 421"gen1 101mm driver think he went bottom 8s on that setup. Meansbc is his name on there brent cambell is his real name. His 2nd gen is bad as hell and on u tube

I'm going to agree with Steve. Sounds like you would rather do the 3rd gen, but know the 4th gen will be easier and cheaper. It's a tough call because you could go after what you want and risk never having enough money or time to finish it. Or you could could go the easy/cheaper route and know you will get a running car but not have what you really wanted.

I really love the 3rd gen chassis. When I was in high school the IROC cars were the object of my lust and I never lost that. I've considered trying to find one to do the same kind of swap you are talking about. The 3rd gen would obviously be my choice.

Dont get a moser 9inch unless you want a angled torque arm. The pinion bearing size isn't possible to attach the torque in the factory fashion without it being bent to one side. Check out midwest chassis they have a option for every exhaust setup, attach the torque ARM straight on a 9inch and good prices. Either chassis will be sweet

Tell you what I wouldn't build....a purple s10

U also wouldent build anything fast either. 8.89 153>10.29 133

I don't always build slow as cars but when I do I tell everyone I'm fast!

"Stay slow my friend" dossuckies

U also wouldent build anything fast either. 8.89 153>10.29 133

I don't always build slow as cars but when I do I tell everyone I'm fast!

"Stay slow my friend" dossuckies

Do I really have to say it again? Your truck hasn't went 8 anything in over two years, and it did it then with a different motor. And yes your all out race truck goes low 9s. Good job! You've have done what 99.9% of ppl could do with an 88mm turbo. And whenever you want a lesson on the street you have my number. Oh and its also spelled wouldn't.

I've ran many 8.90s on 15psi uve went 10.29 1 time

I 60 ft a 1.27 60 on 15yr old slicks u 60ft a what 1.65

And I'm the one why is slow and can't hook?

And this isint spellin class

Well this isn't the dragstrip so track times dont mean shit. Your truck will probably always be faster than my car at the track. And I'm still waiting to see your "many" 8 sec timeslips.

third gen camaros probably arent as expensive as you think. an average clean example i have seen go for less than 4k motor and all. you could get lucky and get a clean shell for much less. but i have seen some original low low milage cars go for around 14k. i dont know how the 4th gen exhaust is set up, however i do know if you plan to do dual exhausts (i know you plan to go turbo so this prolly wont happen), it is a pain in the third gen. i do enjoy the third gen body style more anyhow.

Well I've had 3 3rd gens 2 89 s10 v8 blazers a 89 s10 extended cab v6 and my 82 s10 long bed plus my 4th gen now. The 3rd gens have the largest interior so more room with a cage. The s10 blazer is very roomy too but has the same short door wich makes it hard to get in with a cage. But I can do swingout door bar too. I'm gona keep looking and keep finding parts for the ls motor. Hopefully once its built I will have found the right home for it.

Purple looks good on a small truck.

This is what I wana do

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/Mattsv8_03/89%20Chevy%20Camaro%20build%20up/82chevycamromydreamcar.jpg

But a 4th gen is a ton less work

I have a LSX 3rd gen.....Everyone is making it sound like tis hard to do. Adapting the factory C100 harness to the LSX harness is only 6 wires if I remember correctly. You also use the stock k member. Just but a set of $50 dollar mounts from spoon or the $15 adapter setback plates off ebay like I did and you whatever mount you want. Find a car with a factory BW 9 bolt rear end and your already far ahead of anything with a 10 bolt. The 3rd gen is lighter than a 4th gen. All the 4th gen interior is a direct swap if that interest you. The 3rd gen also has tonnnnssss of room for a front mount system. PM me if you have more questions.