Laws regulating small children in classic cars?

zeitgeist57

In looking to my next project, I'd like to know what laws in the state of Ohio prevent a child from sitting in the front seat of an older, pre-airbag vehicle (pre-1965).

Obviously I don't want to hear from people how unsafe this would be...just wanting to verify that a seatbelt would be sufficient for buckling in an approved booster seat, or if this is illegal. Thanks!

Under 4 foot 9 inches or 8 years old they must be in a booster. I don't see anything in the law that prohibits them being in the front seat, provided they are properly belted and using the proper safety equipment.

Clay, are you forgetting that airbags and car seats are a giant no-no? Also, airbags didn't start showing up until after we were old enough that it wasn't an issue.

I assume you are talking about pre-seatbelt cars? I'm not sure when seatbelts became mandatory.

I understand about airbags and small kids (force of deploying airbag can dislodge a child's head from the spinal column)....I'm simply asking if a kid in a car seat can be buckled in the front of an older, open-top car. If the older car didn't have seat belts originally, there would be aftermarket belts installed for safety.

While you somehow survived, the statistics don't lie. Fewer children are killed every year due to these safety regulations/advancements. Also, it doesn't matter how good of drivers your parents were, all it takes is one drunk, distracted, texting, cell phone talking yahoo to ruin your day. And if that happens to you and your child you would want him/her to be as safe as possible. To be honest, if it were socially acceptable, we would all be restrained like race car drivers.

Clay, are you forgetting that airbags and car seats are a giant no-no? Also, airbags didn't start showing up until after we were old enough that it wasn't an issue.

I assume you are talking about pre-seatbelt cars? I'm not sure when seatbelts became mandatory.

Airbags and rear facing car seats are a giant no-no. Forward facing seats or a booster are safer, but I would keep the passenger seat as far away from the dash as possible. In those situations, the airing would probably never reach the child.

I was just thinking about this for my army truck and daughter. She rides in it now out in the country using the upgraded lap belt (it's a 65 so seat belts werent original.)

I'd probably put her car seat in it if we drive it to town though (shes 4 today.)

I'm not worried about safety, simply legality.

THERE IS STILL NO EVIDANCE THAT AIRBAGS PREVENT INJURIES, LET ALONE THE FACT THAT THEY CAN CAUSE MORE HARM, IT IS KNOWN THAT SEATBELTS LESSEN INJURIES.

Please show me your data. My wife, who designs and tests airbags, and occasionally has to review real accident reports with pictures, would tend to disagree with you. Also, the hundreds of engineers that work on airbag development at my company and have a multi-million dollar crash sled for simulating accidents would do the same..

so clay is the real question you're getting at

"can my child be in a front facing booster seat with only a lap belt in the front seat?"

we know from c&c your daughter is not in a rear facing seat, and anybody that's driven a car made in the last 20 years has seen the millions of stickers/warnings saying not to have a car seat in the front where an airbag is.

In looking to my next project, I'd like to know what laws in the state of Ohio prevent a child from sitting in the front seat of an older, pre-airbag vehicle (pre-1965).

Obviously I don't want to hear from people how unsafe this would be...just wanting to verify that a seatbelt would be sufficient for buckling in an approved booster seat, or if this is illegal. Thanks!

Why is there all this talk about airbags? He obviously knows the danger besides stating that the vehicle will not have airbags. As far as the legality, I believe it was stated earlier, under 4'9" or 8 yrs old (I thought it was 9) and they have to be in a booster. I also believe if it is a minor they have to be belted. I believe if it is a pre-1968 car you don't have to have any belts (that is the year they became mandatory safety equipment in all US cars).

so clay is the real question you're getting at

"can my child be in a front facing booster seat with only a lap belt in the front seat?"

we know from c&c your daughter is not in a rear facing seat, and anybody that's driven a car made in the last 20 years has seen the millions of stickers/warnings saying not to have a car seat in the front where an airbag is.

I woud never put my child in any vehicle without at least a shoulder belt (EDIT: until she gets big enough for just a lap belt!). If an older vehicle is retrofitted for only a lap belt, I'd put her in a car seat with shoulder harnesses.

My '80s trucks all had shoulder belts, no airbags.

My original topic was in regards to much older cars, open top, with retrofitted seatbelts/4- or 5-point harnesses. Depending on the thickness of the straps, a full back booster seat accepts shoulder belts.

I woud never put my child in any vehicle without at least a shoulder belt (EDIT: until she gets big enough for just a lap belt!). If an older vehicle is retrofitted for only a lap belt, I'd put her in a car seat with shoulder harnesses.

My '80s trucks all had shoulder belts, no airbags.

My original topic was in regards to much older cars, open top, with retrofitted seatbelts/4- or 5-point harnesses. Depending on the thickness of the straps, a full back booster seat accepts shoulder belts.

As long as they are in an approved booster seat with approved belts there is no question you are 100% legal. The real question is, are you going to install approved safety belts in her pink Jeep???;)

As long as they are in an approved booster seat with approved belts there is no question you are 100% legal. The real question is, are you going to install approved safety belts in her pink Jeep???;)

The verbage I read said something about being secured with the original restraints at the time of manufacture. This is to prevent new technology from making it illegal to put your kid in your car. It does raise an interesting question about retrofitted belts that were not original equipment. However, if she is in a properly secured high back booster with a harness I don't think anyone will give you trouble.

if you're talking about running racing harnesses in an older car PLEASE make sure they're installed correctly.

Start here:http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

Take note of required shoulder strap angles, sub strap angles, and mounting surfaces. Just about every time I see someone mount harnesses in an old car they don't follow these rules which can create a very unsafe situation in the event of a wreck.

if you're talking about running racing harnesses in an older car PLEASE make sure they're installed correctly.

Start here:http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

Take note of required shoulder strap angles, sub strap angles, and mounting surfaces. Just about every time I see someone mount harnesses in an old car they don't follow these rules which can create a very unsafe situation in the event of a wreck.

Thank god some one else posts this, I hate seeing cars that have harness in them that are not properly mounted.

While you somehow survived, the statistics don't lie. Fewer children are killed every year due to these safety regulations/advancements. Also, it doesn't matter how good of drivers your parents were, all it takes is one drunk, distracted, texting, cell phone talking yahoo to ruin your day. And if that happens to you and your child you would want him/her to be as safe as possible. To be honest, if it were socially acceptable, we would all be restrained like race car drivers.

Also there were probably half the number of cars on the road when we were kids and there were none of the distractions that todays drivers had access to now.

Didn't take google long to find a major offender.

Check out this harness install. It ticks quite a few boxes on the "never do that" list.

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0203_1996_chevrolet_corvette/viewall.html

here are some choice shots: notice the SWEET camera setup too.

http://image.vetteweb.com/f/12874601/vemp_0203_08_z+1996_chevrolet_corvette+seats.jpg

http://image.vetteweb.com/f/12874643/vemp_0203_05_z+1996_chevrolet_corvette+interior.jpg

My daughter and nephew ride in the front seat occasionally, I don't travel on the freeway when they are in the front seat, however they always ride in a booster in the front. The Airbag in my car will not arm unless 90 lbs or more is in the seat. Big light on the dash that says Airbag off. My daughter and nephew are 5 and 7.

Didn't take google long to find a major offender.

Check out this harness install. It ticks quite a few boxes on the "never do that" list.

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0203_1996_chevrolet_corvette/viewall.html

here are some choice shots: notice the SWEET camera setup too.

http://image.vetteweb.com/f/12874601/vemp_0203_08_z+1996_chevrolet_corvette+seats.jpg

http://image.vetteweb.com/f/12874643/vemp_0203_05_z+1996_chevrolet_corvette+interior.jpg

Honestly the only thing I would say is wrong is the belt that comes up between the legs. What else is incorrect?

Honestly the only thing I would say is wrong is the belt that comes up between the legs. What else is incorrect?

That seat shouldn't be used with harnesses at all. The straps around the sides of the shoulders will allow them to slide sideways in a wreck. The sub strap (between the legs) shouldn't ever go around/over the front as it won't work the way it should.