Mustang idle problem.

Moostang

The issue is on my 02 gt. I have a sputter, not all the time, at idle with no other problems in high rpms. Its throwing codes P0171 and P0174. I thought it might be water in gas because it happened right after a fill up. I put heet in it and drove around and its still doing, going to see if it changed anything tomorrow. It doesnt stall out just sputters between 500 and 1500 rpms only when in idle and park. I know it could be a MAF or O2 but i feel like it would run like shit all the time. Any help would be nice and if it fixes my car ill buy you a case of beer when I come home on the 1st. Car is also stock and have been running 87.

Where are you running 87? Put atleast some 89 if your that cheap but i always run premium in any mustang I owned and everyone i know with a modular mustang runs premium.

Not me. My 99 ran perfectly for thousands of miles on Regular until I got it tuned for 93.

Putting in higher octane fuel than necessary doesn't make it faster and is a waste of money.

Agree with the above statement. I was always told to use 87 in my 2000 and now 2002gt's. Was even told by some people that if you use 93 and its not tuned for it that it will do more bad then good. And no im not cheap. Found the problem it was a collapsed PCV hose.

You guys can do what want. I can assure you using better quality fuel will not cause a problem provided your not using aviation fuel. I understand that when setup for low octane fuel a comparison of otherwise equal motors will make more more power with low octane fuel when no pre ignition is present. However your cars may be pulling time due to pre ignition with the shitty gas although I was under the assumption mods were an extra compression point above 10 to 1 and I double checked and they are below that, if your not cheap then try a tank of 93 and see how it goes. you guys are the only people i know who don't but its not like I know the world. Some people don't always notice these things but my car runs a consistent diet of shell/sunoco 93 and I can tell you I will deffinately be able to tell if it had anything else in it. Edited by Drew2o2
not hables ingles

You guys can do what want. I can assure you using better quality fuel will not cause a problem provided your not using aviation fuel. I understand that when setup for low octane fuel a comparison of otherwise equal motors will make more more power with low octane fuel when no pre ignition is present. However I would be willing to bet your cars are pulling time due to pre ignition with the shitty gas, if your not cheap then try a tank of 93 and see how it goes. you guys are the only people i know who don't but its not like I know the world. Some people don't always notice these things but my car runs a consistent diet of shell/sunoco 93 and I can tell you I will deffinately be able to tell if it had anything else in it.

I agree, I run 93 octane in all cars I have owned. It keeps my Knock down to get the most out of my tune.

I was going to suggest with a P0171 you have some sort of vacuum leak.. Glad you found it.

I run 93 octane in all cars I have owned. It keeps my Knock down to get the most out of my tune.

I was referring to stock cars. It sounds like yours have been tuned. When you get your car tuned it is often specifically tuned for 93 to allow more ignition advance and any other mods you may have done like higher compression, boost, etc (any of which make it no longer "stock"). Then it totally makes sense.

I would atleast run 89 to get the half tank of premium and its additional cleansing benefits.

You're misinformed and so is, apparently, everyone you know. :p

A stock car that is designed to run on 87 should never knock unless there's a problem.

This is all I'll say on the subject, since it's not really on topic. I'm just amazed there are still so many that beleive more octane is better in applications where it isn't necessary. Obviously, feel free to buy based on what you beleive.

There's plenty of actual science behind it if you care to elighten yourself.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm

Twisted did you even read what i said, its fine to type engine performance 101 but acting like im unaware of these basic facts you posted looks stupid. I agreed when no pre ignition is present less octane=more power, however unless your constantly datalogging your car you cannot tell me that you have no pre ignition preset and that your car isn't pulling time. How am I miss informed that superior quality fuel has additional cleansing benefits? With that being said every car is different, your 88 5.0 may have been designed in your eyes too run 87 however there are conditions that you could be subjected too that will cause pinging even with the stock timing and tune. Too me 20 cents on 4 dollar gas is a 5 percent increase in cost, it isn't worth the risk too me to damage my engine or run less time than the car wants. I'm sure too you im the idiot, however I havent stated anything out of whack other than my assumption that ford put a little more squeeze in there underdisplaced motor. Also without a series of dyno tests on a identical car in constant atmospheric conditions you cannot simply state for sure weather the arguement of additional power is valid or not because you haven't tested a car in this state on either fuel.

Twisted did you even read what i said, its fine to type engine performance 101 but acting like im unaware of these basic facts you posted looks stupid. I agreed when no pre ignition is present less octane=more power, however unless your constantly datalogging your car you cannot tell me that you have no pre ignition preset and that your car isn't pulling time. How am I miss informed that superior quality fuel has additional cleansing benefits? With that being said every car is different, your 88 5.0 may have been designed in your eyes too run 87 however there are conditions that you could be subjected too that will cause pinging even with the stock timing and tune. Too me 20 cents on 4 dollar gas is a 5 percent increase in cost, it isn't worth the risk too me to damage my engine or run less time than the car wants. I'm sure too you im the idiot, however I havent stated anything out of whack other than my assumption that ford put a little more squeeze in there underdisplaced motor. Also without a series of dyno tests on a identical car in constant atmospheric conditions you cannot simply state for sure weather the arguement of additional power is valid or not because you haven't tested a car in this state on either fuel.

I read your post. It seems you took offense to mine without bothering to read the info from my link. Again - Beleive whatever you like.

Don't waste your time trying to convince me you know better. I'm not impressed and I'm not going to argue about something this simple.