Might trade an Xterra for a 2001 B5.5 Passat. VW guys in here.

iwashmycar

I figure there are some good VAG guys on here lol.

Anyway I got bored and started looking around locally for people interested in trading since we have not been a fan of our recently acquired 2003 XTerra. When we were looking we were interested in small SUV's with the exception of something like a Jetta...never found a Jetta in the price range.

Anyway the Passat in question is a V6 with 102,000 miles. Had timing done at like 80K he said. Sounds like a car guy though it is his girlfriends car... he is on a modified Civic board from my quick internet research lol.. The "selling price" on it is 5300

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/FOR%20SALE/b55e.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/FOR%20SALE/b55i.jpg

I would give up the 03 XTerra with 135K miles. We just hate how it drives... It has had it's timing done at 102K. I paid 5400 for it in January. It still isn't perfect as it has some clank in the suspension, but it is damned clean, even underneath.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/XTerra/IMG-20120128-00009.jpg

Anyway... would this be automotive suicide? From what Ive read the v6 ones are pretty decent, and I am certainly good with maintaining vehicles. Owning 2 SUVs isnt all it's cracked up to be either.

TIA

Like Jones said, these are great cars. At that mileage, and just like any other car at that mileage, you might want to consider typical maintenance like control arm bushings and etc.. VW has been known to have questionable automatics, but I can't recall any issues that stick out for these passats. The way they drive out is a pretty solid feeling car, which some people learn to love. The amenities for the price of the vehicle is probably much nicer than anything else you'll get.

The amenities for the price of the vehicle is probably much nicer than anything else you'll get.

Yup...

All german cars have a certain vibe about them that you'll love. For the money spent you can't buy a better vehicle.

At 100K you might have just got to the tranny in time. Do a filter & fluid change and it might take you to 150K and beyond. Bear in mind they were sold as service free "lifetime fluid & filter" transmissions. Meanwhile the transmission manufacturer (ZF) clearly calls for regular fluid & filter changes. Unless you find one form a die-hard enthusiast who did it himself, chances are it's the same fluid & filter that's been in there for 12+ years.

Helpful wright-up:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/auto-transmission-ATF-fluid-change.htm

V6 is dead reliable.

PM Clay on here (zeitgeistsomething)

Suspension (control arms)

Timing Belt

Change the oil.

Auto? If it's tiptronic, it will certainly be the weak point in the vehicle....

Manual then it's great..

This.

My v6 manual '00 Passat just ticked over 140k miles and the timing belt is a bitch. Car is well engineered, and should run forever if properly maintained. I just bought all new control arms for the front suspension...looking forward to fixing up the creaky, loose front suspension soon.

Awesomely comfortable car on the highway!

Sounds like a plan then.

I tend to side with the "dont even break the seal" once the mileage gets up there, but at 102 that seems on the low side for the year so I suppose a test drive will tell...I assume I could do the usual color/smell test through a fill plug or something if possible.

I had the same transmission concerns with the XTerra... just gotta hope to get lucky with one having proper maintenance i suppose

there great when there running great when not. they are TERRIABLE after the experience i had with my audi i said id never own another German car. well that was wrong. women ended up wanting a jetta really bad so i traded in my jeep that had 200k on it and got a 07 jetta wolfsburg edition with the 2.5 within 3 weeks of ownership it had been on a tow truck 4 times. the 3rd time i was majorly pissed as i was 120 miles away from home ( at 1 am mind you ) with then pos decided to die. to a tune of a 438.30 tow bill. luckily the warranty covered the repair which ended up being a pinched wire to the main fuse panel under the dash. whiched required the whole interior to be tore apart to be fixed. dash and all. i paid my 100.00 deductible and it was fixed. repair was close to 1k. so im glad i opted for the 1,500 warranty. it covered the first 3 tow bills with the exception of the 80 bucks of it plus the majorly expensive tow bill the last time. after this car i told her no more. luckily it has been going strong since. this was also a 1 owner car. local trade in. that was serviced be the dealer since day 1. was bought with low miles as well.

thats my experience with German cars and it hasn't been a good one.

i will say though all around it is a nice car. rides nice. interior is great quality. gas mileage of the 2.5 5 cyl isnt the best though. not sure on them v6's.

there great when there running great when not. they are TERRIABLE after the experience i had with my audi i said id never own another German car. well that was wrong. women ended up wanting a jetta really bad so i traded in my jeep that had 200k on it and got a 07 jetta wolfsburg edition with the 2.5 within 3 weeks of ownership it had been on a tow truck 4 times. the 3rd time i was majorly pissed as i was 120 miles away from home ( at 1 am mind you ) with then pos decided to die. to a tune of a 438.30 tow bill. luckily the warranty covered the repair which ended up being a pinched wire to the main fuse panel under the dash. whiched required the whole interior to be tore apart to be fixed. dash and all. i paid my 100.00 deductible and it was fixed. repair was close to 1k. so im glad i opted for the 1,500 warranty. it covered the first 3 tow bills with the exception of the 80 bucks of it plus the majorly expensive tow bill the last time. after this car i told her no more. luckily it has been going strong since. this was also a 1 owner car. local trade in. that was serviced be the dealer since day 1. was bought with low miles as well.

thats my experience with German cars and it hasn't been a good one.

i will say though all around it is a nice car. rides nice. interior is great quality. gas mileage of the 2.5 5 cyl isnt the best though. not sure on them v6's.

That could of happened to any car. My wifes VW has needed nothing other then a reverse switch other then the normal.

Bought my first German car about 2 years ago and have now owned 6. All audi and one tdi. I love them great cars good quality. Like any other expensive new car when it becomes a older used car parts are still expensive they didn't change.

as long as services were done. I worked at a vw dealer for over 8 years and these cars are solid. As long as maintenance is done. If you dont believe the guy about the belt (only way I would is an invoice from a reputable shop with a vin number on it) then I would do the timing belt. There are alot of valves to be bent if shit goes south.

Good cars though, common suspension stuff would be front drag links and outter tie rod ends. Oil cooler seals, wheel bearings and timing chain tensioner seals are known items as well that can be costly. Just look the top end of for oil leaks they do leak from cam seals also.

Another thing to look into if you pick it up is for recalls, there are alot of freebies on em.

Yup...

All german cars have a certain vibe about them that you'll love. For the money spent you can't buy a better vehicle.

At 100K you might have just got to the tranny in time. Do a filter & fluid change and it might take you to 150K and beyond. Bear in mind they were sold as service free "lifetime fluid & filter" transmissions. Meanwhile the transmission manufacturer (ZF) clearly calls for regular fluid & filter changes. Unless you find one form a die-hard enthusiast who did it himself, chances are it's the same fluid & filter that's been in there for 12+ years.

Helpful wright-up:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/auto-transmission-ATF-fluid-change.htm

Yupp, last time i asked about having my trans serviced at Motorkars they said it has "lifetime fluid/filter" etc... which i still find hard to believe. My car has had the same trans fluid and filter (if there is a trans filter in a jetta) for 7+ years? I havent had any trans issues yet though.

I guess it won't matter anyway lol

I think the guy flaked.

I finally called him around when we were getting ready to leave and he said his girlfriend had lost the keys and he would call me soon when they were found.... never did. We just sat around all day and waited.

So I probably dont want to even deal with someone who is either being sketchy or just simply THAT blatantly dumb.... no common courtesy.... and he never did give me the VIN I asked for Saturday. (though I was going to check it upon arrival anyway)

Oh well... now the XTerra is spotlessly detailed for my wife