Troubleshooting cable issues....

AWW$HEEET

Ok before i go apeshit on Insight, help me troubleshoot my cable issues. I am by far not knowledgeable about audio/video, etc.

Issue #1: HD channels not working. The other night i was able to watch the Heat/Thunder game in HD. Every 3-4 mins, the tv would go completely black for about a half a second. Minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less. I go to watch any HD channel the next night, and the TV bombs out when i try to go to any HD channel. If I do get an HD channel, it blacks out and tries to revert to the menu every 10 seconds. Also it would get a really heavy upward line in the TV. The tv gets very faint scrolling lines as it is, but this one is very heavy and distorted.

Issue #2: Is HDMI better or worse than component cables? The installer told me component was way better, but i thought it was the other way around. He left me with some component cables that he hooked up. I am wondering if i need to switch back to HDMI.

Seeing as I just moved, I am wondering if i bumped the TV or some crap, or if my Westinghouse is just junk (albeit being produced by Sharp)

Ok before i go apeshit on Insight, help me troubleshoot my cable issues. I am by far not knowledgeable about audio/video, etc.

Issue #1: HD channels not working. The other night i was able to watch the Heat/Thunder game in HD. Every 3-4 mins, the tv would go completely black for about a half a second. Minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less. I go to watch any HD channel the next night, and the TV bombs out when i try to go to any HD channel. If I do get an HD channel, it blacks out and tries to revert to the menu every 10 seconds. Also it would get a really heavy upward line in the TV. The tv gets very faint scrolling lines as it is, but this one is very heavy and distorted.

It goes to TV menu or Cable menu?

Issue #2: Is HDMI better or worse than component cables? The installer told me component was way better, but i thought it was the other way around. He left me with some component cables that he hooked up. I am wondering if i need to switch back to HDMI.

HDMI is way better. If your installer tells you component is better, ask for a different installer.

Seeing as I just moved, I am wondering if i bumped the TV or some crap, or if my Westinghouse is just junk (albeit being produced by Sharp)

It would like flip back to the hd menu and be kinda fuzzy, then try to loop back to the program, then sometimes I would get the show, with audio only. Real weird, it was like the box or the tv didn't know what it was doing. I had to shut both off to get them out of that loop. Its not doing it now today. Odd.

Probably won't call now since I cannot reproduce the issue.

I personally like component over HDMI, for the simple fact that HDMI has gone through a lot of change, and has had some incompatability issues for me in the past. HDMI, though is by far the better setup. You get richer Audio, better picture, etc..

HDMI has a broader support, now to include ethernet and 3d. HDMI has been through a lot of changes, but the latest version 1.4b should be what all future HDMI releases are built on. I can recall in 2004 I had a lot of issues using HDMI on some of my boxes/TV combo's.