Hyundai worth 60k?

Buck531

Sounds like a large number of American cars over the past two decades.....less the great gas mileage portion.

Similar to the issues the Grand Prix's have faced with thier transmissions or Honda with their 5spd issues? How about the cooling system sludge issues GM had with their 100k coolent? Have they ever fixed their steering rack issues from back in the 90's? Is the Northstar Engine or the new 3.6l tops in their class for reliability? Didn't they ditch the bullet proof 3.8l vs Nissan who's VQ still lives on strong?

We could trade stories all day.

I never said any of them were perfect, but when i have 5 different friends that owned hyundais/kias, and all ended up selling them because of a wireing or trans issues, that doesnt look very good. And yes i know all to well about the gm transmissions failures as the one in my bonneville is on its way out.

Does hyundai have a few new cars that have some class leading atributes? Yep. Hell i think its badass that they got 350 hp out the genesis's new v6. But would i buy one? No bc i think they are ugly as shit lol. And as others have said, deffinately not untill they have been on the road a few years to be able to get an idea of how well they will really hold up. Not to mention they really need to rethink their price points. 60k for equus i kind of understand since this is really their first attept at a higher end car. But im not paying 32 grand for a genesis that is meant to compete with mustangs and such, when i can get a 5.0 gt for the same price

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah because the Genesis coupe cries out poor styling and quality appearance against it's competition in the 370Z :gtfo:

irrelevant%20pictar

irrelevant%20pictar

irrelevant%20pictar

He was referencing the Equus vs. BMW and the likes. I was referencing his piece of the conversation. Therefore neither of us were referring to the Genesis. Take that soap box and :gtfo:

Thanks,

PS pdgqp reading FAIL

For all the people crying out about the poor quality of Korean cars based entirely on anecdotal evidence (I know people...I've seen...I've heard...), allow me to counter. Ive got a 2006 Santa Fe and, while I hate it for its lack of personality and driving excellence, it has been the most reliable car I've ever had. 98k on the clock and the only things I've had to replace are 2 headlight bulbs, 2 taillight bulbs, 2 interior lightbulbs, and typical maintenance (oil/filters/brakes/rotors/tires). Not one issue that has required me to have the car in a shop. Ever.

You want ACTUAL evidence instead of anecdotes? Here's J.D. Power & Associates 2012 independent vehicle dependability study. Shows # of problems per 100 vehicles by each brand. Not surprisingly, Lexus and Porsche lead the pack as they have done year in and year out. Surprisingly, however, Hyundai has a marginally better record than....well, lets just say everyone else is having a hard time beating their price/reliability ratio.

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/news/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2012008

An 06 with 98k? Cool.

If you still have it in 10 years and there's 250k on the odometer, that's when I would brag about it being reliable.

:dumb:

What, nothing to say about the dependability survey?

People will always put on blinders to see what they want to see. Have an open mind, have rational expectations (i.e. a 15 year old car with 250k is NOT the baseline for reliability), and maybe you'll learn something. I'm not saying that anyone makes shit cars, I'm just saying that to talk about wiring or trans or whatever failures without providing actual evidence suggesting out-of-the-ordinary failure rates is unscientific and pointless.

He was referencing the Equus vs. BMW and the likes. I was referencing his piece of the conversation. Therefore neither of us were referring to the Genesis. Take that soap box and PS pdgqp reading FAIL

Oh really? He so Ben never referenced the interior of the Genesis 3.8 track model? I re quoted the relevant portion of his post below. The beginning portion of his quote referenced that. Perhaps reading fails you.

Immediately after that you stated "All this thread needed: Someone who has sat in one and its competition." closed it out with a "Thank You" followed by "PS Equus fail"

Now i don't know about your reading comprehension but that tells those of us with a high school English level understanding that your first part of the reply is referencing the first part of his quote ie. Genesis 3.8 track model and that your PS (Post Scriptum (Latin for an additional message after the main body) then referenced the Equus. Perhaps you're like Yoda from Star Wars though and quote things out of order. :dumb: Something like that it must be.

Originally Posted by Dr. Apex http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

Or be like most any Audi owner and ditch the car as soon as the warranty is expired!!

I drove a Genesis coupe, 3.8 track model last summer. It was a nice car to drive, handling was there, good power, etc, but they are still really lacking in the interior dept. The plastic felt as cheap as it looked and there was nothing inside that seemed to be of any real quality.

I didn't read it. Won't change my opinion anyway. My initial point was that I think its dumb to judge a car's reliability when its brand new or only a few years old. If you think Hyundai builds a quality car, fine. Forgive me if I'm not so quick to jump on the bandwagon

If you still have it in 10 years and there's 250k on the odometer, that's when I would brag about it being reliable.

^^ because we all know that's how we all measure the quality of any new vehicle hitting the road. So by your standards the new Mustang and the Camaro and any new car for that matter remains a piece shit until there's a 10yr history on the books?

Nice. Someone tell JD Powers they can save their initial findings and the long term reviews that Edmunds and Car & Driver do are meaningless until 250,000 miles later.

I didn't read it. Won't change my opinion anyway. My initial point was that I think its dumb to judge a car's reliability when its brand new or only a few years old. If you think Hyundai builds a quality car, fine. Forgive me if I'm not so quick to jump on the bandwagon

How would someone go about changing your opinion? If your personal baseline is that 15 year/250k mark, then I'd honestly (not in a snide way, I really honestly want to know) like to know what brand/model is tops? If you look at 15 years ago, Ford was shit. Look at their cars from 2006 and on, and you get a completely different picture. The Mulally era has been good to them.

Oh really? He so Ben never referenced the interior of the Genesis 3.8 track model? I re quoted the relevant portion of his post below. The beginning portion of his quote referenced that. Perhaps reading fails you.

Immediately after that you stated "All this thread needed: Someone who has sat in one and its competition." closed it out with a "Thank You" followed by "PS Equus fail"

Now i don't know about your reading comprehension but that tells those of us with a high school English level understanding that your first part of the reply is referencing the first part of his quote ie. Genesis 3.8 track model and that your PS (Post Scriptum (Latin for an additional message after the main body) then referenced the Equus. Perhaps you're like Yoda from Star Wars though and quote things out of order. :dumb: Something like that it must be.

Obviously, he stated he had "sat in" the Equus, he did not reference the Genesis in that part of his quote. I apologize for not dissecting it further.

My time = 15 seconds. Your time = 15 minutes. I am now 14:45 less :dumb:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ get rid of that badge, you deserve not this prestigery, young squire. :dumb:

^^ because we all know that's how we all measure the quality of any new vehicle hitting the road. So by your standards the new Mustang and the Camaro and any new car for that matter remains a piece shit until there's a 10yr history on the books?

Nice. Someone tell JD Powers they can save their initial findings and the long term reviews that Edmunds and Car & Driver do are meaningless until 250,000 miles later.

You're reading way too much into this. Its quite simple. Look at my response below...

How would someone go about changing your opinion? If your personal baseline is that 15 year/250k mark, then I'd honestly (not in a snide way, I really honestly want to know) like to know what brand/model is tops? If you look at 15 years ago, Ford was shit. Look at their cars from 2006 and on, and you get a completely different picture. The Mulally era has been good to them.

They will change my opinion when they prove their newer cars hold up better than the garbage they built in the 90s. Only time will tell. It doesn't have to be problem free to 250k, but expecting a car to last that long on the original drivetrain isn't unreasonable.

No one is out to change your opinion. That's like pushing a wet rope since by definition it's your opinion. However, we can shed light on the facts that speak directly to that opinion by providing equal comparisons.

You do have relevant data for side by side comparisons. Now you can wait 10+ years and 250k miles if you wish to form an opinion, but in reality, the long term ownership costs of a vehicle are done in a 5-7 year period and that's being generous. One could argue that even 5yrs is too long.

The Genesis has been out since 2009 yet BMW has had the 5 series out for quite some time. That said it would make sense that with any new model, especially in a new segment for the manufacturer there might be some bugs needing worked out. Let's see how JD Power Rankings compare the new kid on the block to it's competition who isn't in it's first rodeo of luxury cars.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis/2012/reliability.html?style=&sub=sedan

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/5-series/2012/reliability.html?style=&sub=sedantml

Looks pretty good to me.

Let's look at their entry level car going back 8yrs.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/accent/2012/reliability.html?style=&sub=hatchback

Hmmmm...still seems to rank pretty well.

They will change my opinion when they prove their newer cars hold up better than the garbage they built in the 90s. Only time will tell.

Valid point in that you can sit on your opinion until you feel it's valid that they have overcome your image of them from the 90's which is now including vehicles that were around 13-22 years ago. How old were you in 1990? My point being that's like generations in car years. Fuck if you're going to wait 13-22 years to get over it then you may as well never buy a new car again as the world of automotive giants is going to turn over several times by then.

Seriously, if everyone thought like that then the GM may as well shit-can every car they are launching as they all sucked ass back then. Long live the Olds Achieva and Pontiac Transport!! Oh wait, 13-22 years later and nieghter one is around. Long live Saturn!!! Oh wait....fuck me, they are gone too! SAAB!!! GM Owned a piece of them right? FUCK :fuuuu::fuuuu: Well there is Good Old American Chrysler....oh wait, 1998 changed that to Daimler Benz, then that fell apart about 10yrs later when a capital investment company bought them, and shit got worse from there and now the God Damn Italians own them and who the hell knows what the quality is going to be like. Yep, by your thinking, you won't be able to reliably buy a Chrysler product until at least 2037.

It doesn't have to be problem free to 250k, but expecting a car to last that long on the original drive train isn't unreasonable.
You're absolutely right and and the Koreans agree and listned. In fact they went above just the mileage peice and give you 10yrs of coverage guaranteeing it won't cost you anything. How does that compare with GM or even the almighty Luxury imports?

Gain, 5/60k bumper to bumper....hmmmm our Oddessy didn't have that, nor any roadside nor did the power train receive any coverage even close. Nice, how kind of them to leave me to trust in their quality work. Tell that to me on both our Oddessy and Accord that had the dreaded 5spd Transmission in them.

Obviously, he stated he had "sat in" the Equus, he did not reference the Genesis in that part of his quote. I apologize for not dissecting it further.

You mean the part of the quote you didn't read? It's the second thing he said...the first being the snip about Audi.

I drove a Genesis coupe, 3.8 track model last summer. It was a nice car to drive, handling was there, good power, etc, but they are still really lacking in the interior dept. The plastic felt as cheap as it looked and there was nothing inside that seemed to be of any real quality.

Having been at the Detroit Auto show this year I sat in a new Equus after having been in an S-Class, though it was impressive for a Hyundai it still didn't hold a candle to the Benz, or BMW, or Lexus. Hyundai has no doubt made great progress but they still have a long way to go as reputations take a long time to build and theirs didn't get off on the right foot.

My time = 15 seconds. Your time = 15 minutes. I am now 14:45 less

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ get rid of that badge, you deserve not this prestigery, young squire.

perhaps you need to spend more than 15 seconds on reading comprehension/paragraph dissection and on your follow up thoughts before you prematurely ejaculate your keystrokes onto us.

Triple because I wear the badge :fuckyeah:

It's so tense in this thread.

At this moment I'd like to pause for a short moment for everyone to cool off.

Take a deep breath

Take another deep breath

Ok........GO!!!!!!!

It's so tense in this thread.

At this moment I'd like to pause for a short moment for everyone to cool off.

Take a deep breath

Take another deep breath

Ok........GO!!!!!!!

Are you laughing at me or with me? :gabe:

They will change my opinion when they prove their newer cars hold up better than the garbage they built in the 90s. Only time will tell. It doesn't have to be problem free to 250k, but expecting a car to last that long on the original drivetrain isn't unreasonable.

I can agree with this.

Tim, I understand your point but I'm not sure you're getting mine. I still think you're reading way too much into this. If I could afford a new car, maybe my line of thinking will be different. Until then I'll keep depending on my ancient 90s stuff.

If you would be willing to spend 60k on something built by a company with a reputation of their products living a very short lifespan, that's your call. Truthfully, anyone with that kind of money won't care how well it holds up after 100k anyway. It will be traded in several years before then for 15% of the sticker price.

Tim, I understand your point but I'm not sure you're getting mine. I still think you're reading way too much into this. If I could afford a new car, maybe my line of thinking will be different. Until then I'll keep depending on my ancient 90s stuff.

First Steve, it's all in good fun and banter, I feel I should share that as I've had a couple shots of my Mio Energy.

In terms of your point, I do see it. I was there back in 2007 when I bought ours. I paid $19k ODO cash and that's not an easy thing to do when you're used to and seriously considering spending more on something you have owned before and have others saying is a solid move (Honda Oddessy)

A friend of mine is the Regional Manager for the area Hyundia dealers out of Chicago and his sales team manages the dealers around the Midwest so I had some good vibes just knowing Jim and his team and what their real world thoughts were. He was straight with me and so far, was dead on with what he shared about expectations on the car and where they were going. I drove the Genesis during their Ride/Drive days back in 08 too prior tot he launch.

If you would be willing to spend 60k on something built by a company with a reputation of their products living a very short lifespan, that's your call. Truthfully, anyone with that kind of money won't care how well it holds up after 100k anyway. It will be traded in several years before then for 15% of the sticker price.
I agree. However, consider their target market. The Equus isn't set to target stealing MBZ 500 or LS 460 owners. It's to target a guy like me who could afford one of those but would never in his right mind put that kind of money into a car. I shouldn't even say me as I wouldn't spend $60k on any car.

Point being they are targeting someone who wants to buy-up but not go broke doing it. The big boy car import owners are either pissing away a lot of their hard earned money, or more often then not, leasing them or writing them off as part of a business expense.

I'm with you on not likely seeing value in buying a new Equus, but I'm right up there with I wouldn't buy any car that expensive new. It's a hugely bad move from a finance perspective no matter who you are or what you make. Reliability wise, I am confident in the car lasting. That's just me and my opinion. Your mileage will vary and that's okay too.

Thanks for the banter.

Equus has been around for over 10 years in Korea iirc,

They are not bad for the price . It has a reputation of being a VIP, middle class business owners' car in Korea

In Korea though they are selling the exact same ones for much more money..

Some of the higher end models in Korea are over US$100,000

It's also funny that in Korea American cars have reputation for "Piece of craps" "Gas eater" "Cheap quality"..... and they usually have same values as Korean cars...

I agree Korean cars used to be POS, and stuff, but nowadays I think Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo is doing great.

Some of the GM cars you guys drive here are rebadged Daewoos if you didn't know that.

Equus has been around for over 10 years in Korea iirc, They are not bad for the price . In Korea though they are selling the exact same ones for much more money.. Some of the higher end models in Korea are over US$100,000

Rumor is you're trading the BRZ in on one :gabe:

Welcome to page 4. God Damn, I want my own forum.

First Steve, it's all in good fun and banter, I feel I should share that as I've had a couple shots of my Mio Energy.

In terms of your point, I do see it. I was there back in 2007 when I bought ours. I paid $19k ODO cash and that's not an easy thing to do when you're used to and seriously considering spending more on something you have owned before and have others saying is a solid move (Honda Oddessy)

A friend of mine is the Regional Manager for the area Hyundia dealers out of Chicago and his sales team manages the dealers around the Midwest so I had some good vibes just knowing Jim and his team and what their real world thoughts were. He was straight with me and so far, was dead on with what he shared about expectations on the car and where they were going. I drove the Genesis during their Ride/Drive days back in 08 too prior tot he launch.

I agree. However, consider their target market. The Equus isn't set to target stealing MBZ 500 or LS 460 owners. It's to target a guy like me who could afford one of those but would never in his right mind put that kind of money into a car. I shouldn't even say me as I wouldn't spend $60k on any car.

Point being they are targeting someone who wants to buy-up but not go broke doing it. The big boy car import owners are either pissing away a lot of their hard earned money, or more often then not, leasing them or writing them off as part of a business expense.

I'm with you on not likely seeing value in buying a new Equus, but I'm right up there with I wouldn't buy any car that expensive new. It's a hugely bad move from a finance perspective no matter who you are or what you make. Reliability wise, I am confident in the car lasting. That's just me and my opinion. Your mileage will vary and that's okay too.

Thanks for the banter.

I agree with this completely. I feel like were on the same page for the most part, and I enjoyed hearing your point of view

Just to be clear: I drove a Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track, nice to drive, not a nice place to be inside.

The Equus had a vastly better interior than the Genesis Coupe IMO, still no european car at all judging by just the touch and feel of the cars to even how the door shut. The Equus was Lexus "tomb quiet" like with the doors shut though.

The real test of any make is the long term which is why I mentioned reputation, Honda and Toyota earned theirs not by "Saying" so, they let their product do the talking. Hyundai has a vastly larger problem to overcome as they started out building complete turds of disposable automobiles and are now trying to rectify that, and are doing a pretty good job if you ask me.

You have to admit, they're not afraid of trying new things and are making some damn good looking cars these day, from the Elantra to the new Azera which I just saw and loved the look of.