Stay classy, queers...

zeitgeist57

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/gay-activists-visiting-white-house-take-photos-of-themselves-flipping-off-reagan-portrait/

Honestly, I'm shocked that anyone representing a group - whether it's a city, a country, a sports team, a company, or a social group based on sexuality - would take the opportunity of visiting the White House to troll at a level this low.

I support homosexuality...just bugs me that there are probably thousands of gay activists that are more worthy of a WH visit than this cheeky kunt...

The big name activist don't have to be right all the time, they just have to be loud. These are the people with the loudest mouths, and they'll generally go to all lengths for publicity.

Probably worth mentioning that Reagan is looked down upon in the gay community because he essentially ignored the AIDS crisis until very late into his second term.

edit: I didn't even read the article and noticed it said this

“Yeah, f–k Reagan,” reiterates Hart one week after the reception. “Ronald Reagan has blood on his hands. The man was in the White House as AIDS exploded, and he was happy to see plenty of gay men and queer people die. He was a murderous fool, and I have no problem saying so. Don’t invite me back. I don’t care.”

Clay, how does one support homosexuality?

For CR purposes, it's openly mentioning it while posting an article that could easily be misinterpreted from other ignorant readers as homophobic.

More to the point, it's having an open mind and fostering open communication with gay friends and coworkers, while being empathetic to the needs and concerns of the GLBT community.

you would think someone trying to support a cause would conduct themselves better.

Exactly.

If you're supporting a cause, how are you to be taken seriously with such childish acts as this?

Pretty shitty for sure. Especially as a guest and someone who wants to be seen as credible. In the end Reagan is prolly flipping them off too. I don't support that lifestyle as in support it or go out of my way to defend it but I don't see the point in try to go against it either.

For CR purposes, it's openly mentioning it while posting an article that could easily be misinterpreted from other ignorant readers as homophobic.

More to the point, it's having an open mind and fostering open communication with gay friends and coworkers, while being empathetic to the needs and concerns of the GLBT community.

Interesting that you would claim this in a thread referring to them as "Queers." Neither of my Homosexual uncles, nor any of their friends was very fond of that term.

Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words, but I can't help but read this in the same vein as something along the lines of "I'm not racist, but the coloreds will definitely eat up all your fried chicken."

On topic, yeah, I can't imagine that it's good policy to insult the institution that you are trying to garner support from, regardless of their past perceived shortcomings.

In fairness I have a gay friend that always refers to himself as queer, so I don't know, maybe just a personal thing. Also the comments are hilarious. Simultaneously condemning these folks admittedly moronic acts under the guise of respecting a POTUS, then going off about how Obama is the antichrist.

Interesting that you would claim this in a thread referring to them as "Queers." Neither of my Homosexual uncles, nor any of their friends was very fond of that term.

Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words, but I can't help but read this in the same vein as something along the lines of "I'm not racist, but the coloreds will definitely eat up all your fried chicken."

Your uncles are looking back on the derogatory meaning that it once held years ago. Today, it's considered a "reclaimed" word used to describe more than just gays in a derogatory way. Technically it means Odd, unconventional or something that deviates from normal aka strange. Honestly, that describes the homosexual lifestyle IMO.

Gay people can hate the term but the definition still applies so they need put on their big boy/girl pants and deal with it. If you want to "come out" then do it but don't try and force heterosexuals to think or go around acting as if you're just like them. You're not. I have friends and a cousin that are gay and I'd tell that to them too.

In terms of the world colored, I wouldn't say that "colored" is in any way reclaimed. That's just more of a very old-school reference that wasn't mean to be derogatory back in the day but now with everyone shifting to the more politically correct African American phrase Colored is considered offensive to many. I still use and the word black to describe people of color.

Gabe, your quota is filled. :fa:

It was an immature dick move, but understandable considering what these peoples lives have been like under anti-gay policy.

To put it in context, think of it like this:

The folks that make the rest of the group look bad. Also reference Willem DeFoe in Boondock Saints. :)

You use the term when you want to disrespect an individual asshole, or group of assholes.

• Upvote 1

SIGH...

Don't make my comments on a few really bad eggs reflect negatively on your family, DJ. Seriously, I hoped you would think better of me than that. The way you read my comment is the way YOU read my comment...your inferences are wrong.

Still love ya, just had to put you in your place. Let this one go, please.

In terms of the world colored, I wouldn't say that "colored" is in any way reclaimed. That's just more of a very old-school reference that wasn't mean to be derogatory back in the day but now with everyone shifting to the more politically correct African American phrase Colored is considered offensive to many. I still use and the word black to describe people of color.

Funny side story: My dad was the victim of an attempted car jacking on Morse road near his work. When the cop showed up to take the report my dad was describing the two guys and said "black males". The cop who was a black guy got very upset and said "Don't you mean African-American?!" My dad's reply was simply "I have no idea the guys country of origin or his citizenship however I do know they were black just as I am white in your report and not German-American."

:lolguy:

Funny side story: My dad was the victim of an attempted car jacking on Morse road near his work. When the cop showed up to take the report my dad was describing the two guys and said "black males". The cop who was a black guy got very upset and said "Don't you mean African-American?!" My dad's reply was simply "I have no idea the guys country of origin or his citizenship however I do know they were black just as I am white in your report and not German-American." :lolguy:

^^ butt hurt cop. Priceless. Your dad should have corrected himself and called them brown males. :gabe:

SIGH...

Don't make my comments on a few really bad eggs reflect negatively on your family, DJ. Seriously, I hoped you would think better of me than that. The way you read my comment is the way YOU read my comment...your inferences are wrong.

Still love ya, just had to put you in your place. Let this one go, please.

I DID think better of you than that, which is why I even said something. Had Gape or Paul posted this, I would have thought "Ignorant douche" and continued along my merry way.

To the point that someone made earlier about the term being "reclaimed", let me then amend my analogy to replace the word "Colored" with the word "******". That word seems to have been "reclaimed" by the black community, but how many of you would have posted a thread titled "Keep it classy, ******s..." relating to the actions of a few foolish black people at the white house.

No, I am not buying it. Clay, you are my dude, but I can't give you a pass on this. I know you don't hate gay folks, that isn't even a question, I just think that your choice of words was poor and was surprised to see it. Sort of like "I love crippled folks, but..."

Nothing before the "but" means anything.

EDIT: So, apparently, the "N" word is so reclaimed that it won't even show. Feel free to substitute to serve your purposes.

Funny side story: My dad was the victim of an attempted car jacking on Morse road near his work. When the cop showed up to take the report my dad was describing the two guys and said "black males". The cop who was a black guy got very upset and said "Don't you mean African-American?!" My dad's reply was simply "I have no idea the guys country of origin or his citizenship however I do know they were black just as I am white in your report and not German-American."

:lolguy:

Amen.

I don't demand to be called european american. I am white. A cracker if you will. I have never understood the term african american. Which one are you?

No, I am not buying it. Clay, you are my dude, but I can't give you a pass on this. I know you don't hate gay folks, that isn't even a question, I just think that your choice of words was poor and was surprised to see it. Sort of like "I love crippled folks, but..."

If you want to be specific, it's a choice of WORD (singular). Taken from Dictionary.com:

Queer   /kwɪər/ Show

1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.

2. of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something queer about the language of the prospectus kept investors away.

3. not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel queer.

4. mentally unbalanced or deranged.

5. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive .

a. homosexual.

b. effeminate; unmanly.

Since certain people acted stupidly based on a misguided agenda, I cry folly on their agenda (Reagan's killing of homosexuals by ignoring the AIDS epidemic). They acted strangely and questionably. My word choice was loosely based on their homosexual background, but their homosexual background was not my point of contention. I was upset that people selected to visit the WH based on their sexuality and then choose to spread hatred based loosely on that agenda.

Just because a word is sometimes considered disparaging and offensive does NOT mean it was intended to be used that way in this context. However, because everyone should understand the struggles of homosexuals in the face of societal bigotry, I understand your point of making an example of my choice of words. Thank you for calling me to the carpet; I hope that anyone else confused in my post has a better understanding that the actions of a few should not mar the lives of many, nor is it acceptible to paint everyone with the same color.