Wtb: bicycle

John Bruh

I want to buy a bicycle. More interested in a road bike style. Mountain bike would be the next choice. I'm 5'11 do it needs to be a bigger frame.

Just seeing if anyone has one sitting around collecting dust before I hit up Craigslist.

What are you looking for? Components? Aluminum or carbon? Price range?

I'll post up anything that I find that fits your criteria.

BTW this is ross. Realized that I was logged in on Dover's account.

If you want to start out on an entry level to see if it is truly something you will use, I have a Schwinn Tourist that I would let go for $125. Literally has less than 100 miles on it, all bike path riding w/the family. I'm considering stepping up to something higher end. I bought this to see if I would like this style of bike as I've been riding a hybrid for a few years and didn't know if I would be comfortable on a road bike. Didn't want to jump straight in to something $400-700 only to find that I wouldn't use it.

This bike sells for ~$259-289 online.

http://findnsave.ajc.com/Product/17967933/Schwinn-700c-Mens-Tourist-Grey

you're probably not going to find much, if anything for $100-200. im 5'11 and ride a 56cm, but you could probably make a 54 or 58 fit. if you can bump your price range up to $400, you MIGHT be able to get something worth a shit that a local shop can still work on if needed, and not laugh at you once you leave.

i cracked up when someone brought in a walmart "le tour" bike to a shop i went to, customer left, and they were making fun of it so much, and decided to put it in the basement where no one can see it. lol.

If you want to start out on an entry level to see if it is truly something you will use, I have a Schwinn Tourist that I would let go for $125. Literally has less than 100 miles on it, all bike path riding w/the family. I'm considering stepping up to something higher end. I bought this to see if I would like this style of bike as I've been riding a hybrid for a few years and didn't know if I would be comfortable on a road bike. Didn't want to jump straight in to something $400-700 only to find that I wouldn't use it.

This bike sells for ~$259-289 online.

http://findnsave.ajc.com/Product/17967933/Schwinn-700c-Mens-Tourist-Grey

junk! 40# for a bike? LOL. i've got an entry level road bike i bought this year, and it weighs 17#. 40# would be a fucking pig to get moving.

If you want to expand your budget more along the lines Evan is talking about, I have a LeMond road bike with only about 100 miles on it. A few years old but it's an incredible bike. I'm 6 ft and Rick at A Gear Higher fit it to me. The bikes MSRP was $1000.

If your intention is to ride it everyday, then be wary of those craiglist specials. If you only plan to ride it every once in a while then they should work out okay but make sure you check it over carefully.

I bought a $50 craiglist special a few years ago. I wanted to ride it for fitness, 3-5 times a week. That thing was such an uncomfortable piece of crap though that I rode it for 2 weeks and then never touched it. It was too much work and money to get it riding well so my bicycle riding aspirations faded away. The point is that those cheap bikes are likely going to need a lot in maintenance and repairs, and therefore usually aren't such a "great deal".

If you're going to ride it frequently I'd suggest you increase your budget to $200-400 range. If you're serious about riding, $400+ at the minimum.

I've found a few aluminum-framed bikes for 50-80 bucks on craigslist that look perfect for me..

if you're just going to use it in a few weeks to sit in your garage and make it look like you dont just sit on your couch every day after work and flick boogers at the ceiling, $80 would probably be ideal. if you actually plan to not flick boogers all night, spend a little more now and get something worth something. you dont have to want to be the next lance armstrong to buy something DECENT.

because its old as fuck, chances are whoever owned it probably did so casually, i would venture to say if you need to replace a component, youd be pressed to find exactly what you need. plus, that guy always has cheap old bikes f/s on CL (check for that wood barrier in all the $100-200 bikes). i think he probably gets them for cheap, makes them run, and resells them for a few bucks.

i would see if you can talk this guy down a bit, but still a very decent bike that will be good for years and years (assuming you maintain it as needed). the integrated shifting will be much easier than reaching to your downtube to flip levers to shift gears on that old ass bike.

http://zanesville.craigslist.org/bik/3088203788.html

this would be a super deal if he still had it, especially since its OBO, maybe talk him down a little?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/3030647197.html

entry level, you could probably make it fit, seat post adjustment, maybe a stem swap if needed, but i doubt you'll get serious enough to try to get it fitted *that* perfectly. i'd probably pay about 400 for this bike

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/3106570015.html

this looks to be a good deal, although never heard of the brand, 105 is a decent level for components, clipless pedals (you could probably sell them for a few bucks and put some cheap platform pedals on if you dont want to buy cleats to ride in)

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/3009222804.html

If your intention is to ride it everyday, then be wary of those craiglist specials. If you only plan to ride it every once in a while then they should work out okay but make sure you check it over carefully.

I bought a $50 craiglist special a few years ago. I wanted to ride it for fitness, 3-5 times a week. That thing was such an uncomfortable piece of crap though that I rode it for 2 weeks and then never touched it. It was too much work and money to get it riding well so my bicycle riding aspirations faded away. The point is that those cheap bikes are likely going to need a lot in maintenance and repairs, and therefore usually aren't such a "great deal".

If you're going to ride it frequently I'd suggest you increase your budget to $200-400 range. If you're serious about riding, $400+ at the minimum.

I dont get it, I had a pos bike as a kid that lasted years and I rode it every day.. Did bikes suddenly turn to shit or what?

My thinking:

As a kid you didn't ride to be riding. Most of the time you went to your friend's house, to the park, etc. Not many miles were ridden on it and comfortableness and smoothness of the ride wasn't a consideration.

Children weigh less and don't put as much wear on the bikes. The frames are structurally similar thickness to adult bikes, so they're proportionally much stronger by carrying less weight. To make an adult bike with that same proportional strength as a child's it would either be very heavy or very expensive. This goes for components as well.

Used bikes may have been neglected in maintenance. The cheaper they are the more likely they were not maintained well, generally speaking. Expect rough shifting and gritty pedaling, etc. That's why I ended up hating my $50 Mongoose so much.