Motor bogs down alittle then cleans up

Sam1647545489

Motor is a 383 with a weiand 144 blower. Of course it did not do this before the blower. When cruising you can feel the boat slow down and the motor sounds like it is loading up or something cause it will bog down alil then it cleans up and takes off again. Stock thunderbolt ignition with total advance set at 28* for the blower as recommended by weiand. Plugs are NGK tr-6 gapped at .032. I checked the wires and made sure they were connected good. It just started doing this today. Was fine last weekend. I am leaning towards ignition problems. Gonna start with a decent 8.5mm wire. Any other ideas?

On it erik sending him pm's

Btw i learned every thing I know about carbs (a shit ton) from this man

Any ways Sam if you need to use my Vac gauge to make sure the pv is the right size or would like to use my collection of jets Or if you would like I could help figure it out ( would have to be a weekend) just let me know. But as Erik said im 95% sure it's not getting enough fuel

On it erik sending him pm's

Btw i learned every thing I know about carbs (a shit ton) from this man

Any ways Sam if you need to use my Vac gauge to make sure the pv is the right size or would like to use my collection of jets Or if you would like I could help figure it out ( would have to be a weekend) just let me know. But as Erik said im 95% sure it's not getting enough fuel

Yeah that would help. Problem is that it will only do it under a load so I guess we can try the vac gauge then go from there. I know nothing about carbs so you might have to help me

He said when cruising. And yes the idle feed restrictor controls part throttle fuel. Ask me how I know? Hmm

The accelerator have nothing to do with any thing after the first second and a half after the throtle is opened. Not trying to be a dick but your suggestion of the two items described have nothing to do with the problem

But please tell me more about what you know

Hey Sam did you use the V6 module for the ign ?

When I built my boat setup I worked with Dean Nickerson . He built my carb and it was spot on

I did not, I was able to get the stock one to work. Its locked at 28* all the way thru the throttle from 3000-to wot. Would it matter if it was a v6 module or the stock one? It would still be at 28* on the v6 as well hence why I didn't think it would matter.

well I just reread the instructions on the blower. Here is what it says and this is what I think is happening.

"I need to "boost reference the power valve" Here is what can happen if you don't. At part throttle you engine will be producing boost, but the carb will still have a high amount of vacuum under it. In this condition this high vacuum signal will not allow the power valve to operate properly and the correct amount of fuel will not be delivered for the boost provided by the blower. A lean condition can result with possible engine damage."

This is what it looks like I need to do. Anyone know anyone that is good with carbs on marine engines?

well I just reread the instructions on the blower. Here is what it says and this is what I think is happening.

"I need to "boost reference the power valve" Here is what can happen if you don't. At part throttle you engine will be producing boost, but the carb will still have a high amount of vacuum under it. In this condition this high vacuum signal will not allow the power valve to operate properly and the correct amount of fuel will not be delivered for the boost provided by the blower. A lean condition can result with possible engine damage."

This is what it looks like I need to do. Anyone know anyone that is good with carbs on marine engines?

Call Dean Nickerson

I didnt have to touch the carb after he did it. Just bolted it on

Sam, my dad was the Head Mechanic at Sun-Fun Marine for many years. I can ask him what his schedule is and how much he'd charge to fix your boat, if interested. It wouldn't be much.

I'll keep this in mind. I just put in the PV plugs and up'ed the jets in the carb. Gonna see if this helps. Will post results this weekend.