question about A/C recharge in my 2000 gti vr6

justmyluck

So I bought one of those A/C recharge cans from auto-zone to give it a try. When I put the gauge on the only input valve I could find, it read that was over 80psi. I looked all over for another input valve but couldn't find one. So do VW's just use insanely high A/C line pressure? Was I somehow connected to the high pressure side? Am I wasting my time trying to recharge my A/C?

Thanks guys, just a little confused.

I dont think you are wasting your time at all. Helps having the engine UP TO TEMP.

I recharged my wifes old 95 Corolla with the can kit that had *very poor A/C, and afterwards it worked flawlessly and very cold.

Read the directions very concisely... gotta shake the can, and have the AC on high.... compressor will need to be RUNNING, ect.

Edited by iwashmycar
*shouldnt have said "none left"

If your system is Emtpy, there is a reason.. To properly fix the issue you need to put the system on a deep vac, and put the proper level of refridgerant in.

Shooting a can of refridgerant in, when the system has air, or over pressuring the system will do more damage than good..

Yes sometimes people get lucky and their AC "Works" But do it the proper way so you dont do more damage than good.

Well "if" it has 80 psi, it is not empty (I use if in quotes as the can gauges are not accurate).

If it has 80 psi on the low side - it is already overcharged (compressor running or not).

Sounds like you are shooting in the dark - adding more refrigerant (as already mentioned) will likely do more harm than good.

More information is needed before any real recommendation could be made (other than take it to a shop that does good A/C work)

If it has 80 psi on the low side - it is already overcharged (compressor running or not).

I disagree. At 75.86 degrees R134a will be at a static pressure of 80 psi. Today was easily 75 degrees and with the system off would have read 80+ psi.

R134a pressure to temperature chart

That being said, the correct way is to find the leak, repair it, vacuum the system and recharge. Not saying I have never used the can. I would guess that the car was not started when you tried to do this. Read the can fully but, I believe it says engine running, a/c on high and can upside down. It has been awhile since I used the cans though so I may be wrong. If you live near Marysville, I have a leak checker (dye and/or a sniffer), a vacuum machine and gauges to charge it. PM me if you want some help.

I did the whole start the car and warm it up thing (I was previously driving it, so it was at temp)and turned the A/C on full blast. The outside temp was easily 85+ so I was expecting a higher psi, but to have the gauge go off the chart was unexpected. I looked around for another port yesterday but gave up when everything on the damn car burned me lol

Thanks for the replies guys. I am hoping its not over charged already and I just found the HP port. Also, its definitely not leaking, I don't think it could not hold that much pressure if it was. I am going to pull some of the engine plastic shit off tonight and see if I can find another port.

If you don't think it's leaking why the hell are you putting more refrigerant in??

Is the compressor turning on?

If your bypassing our recommendation of getting a proper evac and recharge, check to see if the compressor is kicking on and off.

my gti has an ever so slow leak once a year I recharge it for 10 dollars. Just hook the can up, start the car and turn the ac on. Screw the plunger in until it pierces the can, back the screw out and the can contents should pull in and the compressor should engage if everything is ok. Especially for vw stuff those components are expensive especially for a small leak. But if you do have a leak those cars are very well known for leaking around the H block (expansion block right where the lines go into the cabin to the evaporator) if you pull that plastic cover off from around that and see a bunch of pag oil in the foam then you have found your leak (if not one of them)