Newbie with a question

CHERRY

I have a chance to buy a Ruger 10/22 RACE RIFLE with a silver scope.

The gun has never been fired.

One of my friends bought it new.

According to him they only made 5,000 units in the red/neutral/blue paint scheme.

I can get it with the case for $750.00

Your comments please.

Thanks

Chuck

Definitely not worth that much especially if you're just looking for a plinker. A standard 10/22 is $200, Boyds stock is $100, a drop in Timney trigger is $150 and a bull barrel is $100 and up. The scope on it is probably just a generic scope if it came on the gun from Ruger.

Now if your're looking to start collecting guns it might make a nice piece, but still not worth that much IMO.

What year was the rifle released? This will help determine how much its worth too.

Sounds like he wants MSRP for it and you get a free scope. No clue as to the quality of the scope. Also, if you pay MSRP for a gun it means you haven't shopped around at all, although I'm willing to bet there are no longer any of these still out there that haven't been sold yet. It is a limited edition. I would never look at a gun as an investment unless its something about to get outright banned, and a 10/22 is about the last thing to be banned. If you think its something interesting and would like it for the story behind it then by all means buy it. If you want something to screw around with and beat on, get an off the shelf 10/22 and swap a couple parts for half the price.

Sounds like he wants MSRP for it and you get a free scope. No clue as to the quality of the scope. Also, if you pay MSRP for a gun it means you haven't shopped around at all, although I'm willing to bet there are no longer any of these still out there that haven't been sold yet. It is a limited edition. I would never look at a gun as an investment unless its something about to get outright banned, and a 10/22 is about the last thing to be banned. If you think its something interesting and would like it for the story behind it then by all means buy it. If you want something to screw around with and beat on, get an off the shelf 10/22 and swap a couple parts for half the price.

I used to see one sitting at Buckeye outdoors all the time.

There isn't much collector interest in 10/22s anyway...they are regarded as plinkers now matter what you've done with them. About the only 10/22s I've seen consistently appreciate are the Mannlicher-style stock versions...they only kick those out once in a blue moon, and never enough to satisfy the demand.