Audi on 2 wheels

Doc1647545523

...... no Ducati jokes, please.

I didn't see this posted, although it's nearly two months old.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/worthersee-ebike.jpg

at the wörthersee tour in austria, AUDI unveiled its 'wörthersee' performance electric bike for sports and trick cycling.

designed incorporating technology from AUDI cars, with testing and feedback from competitive cyclist julien dupont.

the bicycle also offers smartphone connectivity for the recording of stunts, and optional automatic stabilization

when performing wheelies and other tricks.

completely designed and manufactured at AUDI, the 'wörthersee' offers the highest output of any production electric model

at 2.3kW (a power-to-weight ratio of 9kg (19.8lb) per kilowatt). riders can use one of five travel programs, including the

human-powered only 'pure' mode; 'pedelec' mixed-use,

with a top speed of 50 mph (80 km/hr) and range of 31-44 miles (50 - 70 km)per charge;

or 'eGrip' electric-only mode, with a top speed of 31mph (50km/hr). the e-bike's nine-speed, hydraulically actuated

gear shift is modeled after the quick response of the R-tronic transmission of AUDI R8s.

the lithium-ion battery pack of the 'wörthersee' is easily removable, charging completely in 2.5 hours.

the frame of the bike is composed of lightweight carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP) and weighs 3.53 pounds (1.6 kg);

the wheels feature 2-inch CFRP rims and blade-pattern spokes, the flat design of which increase the transmission of pedal power.

including the battery and motor, the bike weighs 46.3 pounds (21 kg).

LED lighting is integrated into the handlebar and seat. the seat's height can be adjusted through controls on the handlebar;

for example, for trick cycling, the bike's seat can be lowered to run flush with the frame, returnable to normal riding position

with the touch of a button. a multimode electronic control system also supports the rider when performing backwheeling,

wheelies, and other tricks.

an on-bike touchscreen computer interfaces with smartphone via WLAN, and video can be recorded via the in-helmet camera

and uploaded via the mobile device to the web. an online portal lets trick cyclists compete against one another, earning points

for successful tricks that have been videotaped.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/worthersee06.jpg

I'm wondering how many up/down seat cycles it would take with me riding it before exhausting the lithium-ion battery :o

I suppose that the rider is expected to stand on the pedals before selecting "seat up." How tiring.

Brian, maybe a video of me testing the "automatic stabilization mode" while attempting to ride a handrail would be a more realistic demonstration of the limits of technology vs. physics. :lolguy:

If I were Audi, I wouldn't even care about the consumer demographic. It's more of a halo concept bike. Really amazing, when you consider combining a 30-40 mile electric range, 50 mph top speed (hybrid), and stunt capabilities (albeit with a highly-skilled rider), novice stunt stabilization (I'd love to understand how that works), and smartphone connectivity, all in a single bike.

My mind boggles.

No turbo, one wheel drive... I don't think that even Jones is that much of an Audi fanboy.

:dumb:

Oh he'd buy it but never ride it. Likely buy a roof rack and pimp around Reynoldsburg with it. Hell he'd even pay someone to lift it up on to the rack too.

I like it but would hate to see the price.

There aren't any production models available currently, but the suggested price is $20,000. Yeah, that's a lot for a bicycle, but far cheaper than the most expensive ones in the marketplace. And I would imagine that someone buying a bike like this has watches that cost considerably more than 20k.

Here's a bit on the automatic stabilization system:

While Audi designed the Wörthersee's drivetrain with efficiency in mind, the drive modes allow a bit of fun. In "Wheelie" mode, the bike itself provides power to allow the rider to focus on keeping the front wheel in the air; "Power Wheelie" can adjust the wheelie angle for less experienced riders, while "Balanced Wheelie" actually adjusts the speed of the bike, braking or speeding up to actually lift the bike's front wheel off of the ground as the rider shifts his or her weight. Leaning forward speeds up the bike, while leaning back slows it down. There's even a "training mode," Audi said.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/segway-jimi-heselden-death-ecard-someecards1.jpg

Electric assist bikes are awesome. Smart showed one last year too that had iPhone integration, but there are a lot of aftermarket kits you can retrofit to your bike. I would love to try one, but the good kits are still a little pricey.

There aren't any production models available currently, but the suggested price is $20,000. Yeah, that's a lot for a bicycle, but far cheaper than the most expensive ones in the marketplace. And I would imagine that someone buying a bike like this has watches that cost considerably more than 20k.

Here's a bit on the automatic stabilization system:

While Audi designed the Wörthersee's drivetrain with efficiency in mind, the drive modes allow a bit of fun. In "Wheelie" mode, the bike itself provides power to allow the rider to focus on keeping the front wheel in the air; "Power Wheelie" can adjust the wheelie angle for less experienced riders, while "Balanced Wheelie" actually adjusts the speed of the bike, braking or speeding up to actually lift the bike's front wheel off of the ground as the rider shifts his or her weight. Leaning forward speeds up the bike, while leaning back slows it down. There's even a "training mode," Audi said.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/segway-jimi-heselden-death-ecard-someecards1.jpg

^Totally missed that picture after reading your input.

They should call it Segway mode, lol.