Diff Damage Help

Wes Stone

What caused this? Can i fix it enough or is it just broke? I bought the car and was told it had a Detroit TruTrac in it. I wanted to verify so I took the rear diff cover off and found this. Also does this look like a Detroit locker?

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk457/stoney667/2012-07-03_18-21-19_180.jpg

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk457/stoney667/2012-07-03_18-11-30_88.jpg

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk457/stoney667/2012-07-03_18-11-18_895.jpg

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk457/stoney667/2012-07-03_18-11-07_599.jpg

Thanks,

it definately looks worn in ways it shouldn't be, how does it drive though? it looks like you *may* be able to get away with a new pinion gear, i could be wrong though, im not an expert on rear ends. or you could just do like bstowers and let it machine itself out, you might get lucky. :gabe:

Can you get an inspection mirror and look back there to see if it is constantly contacting the carrier?

To me, It looks like the one or both of the bearings went, causing the pinion to shift in the housing to catch the carrier like that.

It's either something like that or whoever set the pinion depth is clinically retarded.

ok, so my funds are limited, can i correct how its installed for now? Its a 7.5 10 bolt, its going to break anyway but i don't want that to be tomorrow lol

Just pick up another 10 bolt, they are a dime a dozen. Worst case, use the guts out of it in yours if they are compatible.

If it drives fine it was likely screwed up and "corrected" before you looked at it.

I wouldn't worry about it whinning unless it gets bad, they all whine to some degree. However I don't feel that the brand of gear has anything to do with it, people bitch about Richmond gears being noisey, but I had some and after changing the set-up a few times to perfect the tooth contact mine were dead silent until the pinion bearing started whinning again like they all do. I've done a ton of 7.5" 10 bolts and most of them are not perfect on the first set-up, most people are just too lazy to perfect it.

The back story is the guy that had the car before me had that 403 in it and drove it like 50 miles. I got the car and beat the shit out of it. Put my lq4 in it and again beat the shit out of it. Car is kept in Lima and i just race it up there and beat on it like 15mins from the house. Driving it to Delaware Sunday was the longest i think the car has ever been driven. The whinning is recent though, the lq4 makes a lot more power than the 403 did. I also have the trans brake now which i've played with a few times.

My fear is that maybe i caught it in time and I can save it with just getting new gears, i atleast have to put it back together and get the car back to Lima to my parents until I can save money for a new rear end. If it is in fact touching right now, i don't think it'll make it much further.

no mirror but i felt back there and yes i believe its touching all the time

Oh well disregard my previous post if thats the case. The 10 bolt has to come competely apart to correct pinion depth. Perhaps the pinion nut came loose or something was not installed properly. If you grab the pinion yoke does it move up and down or in and out with any play, because it should have none.

ok here is what i got, i got a mirror from the wife, it is NOT touching, apparently i can't feel lol

I have no play in the pinion.

Could this be a result of the person who installed it, installed it wrong, then just fixed it and thats how it is?

ok here is what i got, i got a mirror from the wife, it is NOT touching, apparently i can't feel lol

I have no play in the pinion.

Could this be a result of the person who installed it, installed it wrong, then just fixed it and thats how it is?

Would be my guess.

One more question, when putting the cover back on, i got a new gasket, do I need to put rtv or gasket maker on the gasket and do I put it on both sides of the gasket or just 1 side? Also there are 2 big holes on the right and left that you can see in pic 3 and 4 that seemed to be filled with rtv do i just leave them that way or clean them out?

Personally on my cars I don't even use a gasket, just a thick bead of the "Right Stuff" (basically black RTV thats known not to leak very easy). I'd coat both sides of the gasket if you have one. I'd clean out the holes but just make sure the gasket seals around them.

the 2 big holes are for a 'case spreader' used by the manufacturer and dealers to install carrier shims to set 'lash'.

because it has the reluctor ring on the carrier,it's a 3 channel rearend (ABS only). a 4 channel (ABS & traction control) rearend would a reluctor on each axle.

a transbrake shocks the rearend just like a 6 speed does.

I'm going to assume the trans brake didn't cause it because there are no metal shavings or anything anywhere in the case. I would think if that happened while I had the car there would be some sort of material.