focus won't stay running/runs rough

copperhead

01 focus 2.0 zetec 5 speed, will start but runs really rough then dies. I can get it to rev and it sounds like its alright but as soon as I let off the gas it dies. Its showing no codes. It doesn't run well enough to move. It started running like this all of a sudden, it wasn't a slow onset. Ideas?

Did some data logging, everything looks fine.

Derek, I only saw one rubber hose back there and it looked fine on the end that connects behind the throttle body. I couldn't see where it goes on the other end.

recently had a similar issue with my focus. There's a rubber elbow that connects the intake manifold to the valve cover behind the engine that was completely shot.. 8$ part fixed it. check for vacuum leaks.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/jeffro1265/IMAG0463.jpg

how long does it run before it dies? my mom has an optima that was doing that, i could start it, but it'd die in a few seconds...started it and revved it, but would only last a couple seconds longer then died.

ended up being the camshaft position sensor, cost like $72, took 5 minutes to swap out one and a half handed (i had a broken wrist at the time), and solved it completely.

the only difference is her car threw a code, but we had to go to autozone to rent the OBD scanner since we couldnt get the car there.

Jeff, is there any way you could take a picture of where that's at on the car?

Evan, it will run for about 10 seconds

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8411&d=1142306506

is the one towards the bottom point back at the firewall, it routes around and goes to the pcv tube that runs up under the coil pack.. very easy to see from underneath too.

Derek,

I love you.

Mike

PS: I'll check when I can. I don't really seem to get days off work any more so it may be a day or two before I can get back to this. I am going to pick up a fuel filter in the morning since that's an easy thing to try.

Derek is this it?

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp201/copperhead035/manifolds.jpg

The only hole with anything plugged into it is the one pointing to the side. I had found a random, rigged ass up line that was just hanging, but I assumed it went into the open port on the valve cover pointing on the firewall, and it plugged into there fine so I assumed that was right. Now I'm thinking that it actually should be plugged into that hole on the manifold. I'll try it in a few. It doesn't have the elbow that Jeffro pointed out, but like I said, its pretty well rigged. It has a solid metal 90 degree, then some shitty rubber line that was cut up, making for an elbow.