Getting car out of state

Rocky31186

DO NOT DO THIS! Fictitious tags (M4) are a bigger penalty then no tags (Minor Misdemeaner).

Just tell the cop you sold the vehicle that the tags are for... Then you have 30 days. I've had tons of cars and have never had an issue.

DO NOT DO THIS! Fictitious tags (M4) are a bigger penalty then no tags (Minor Misdemeaner).

I have a couple cop friends, asked them what I should do..

They told me to just throw the plates off my jeep onto that one. Get a bill of sale with date from seller, so if I get pulled over for anything to tell them you just bought it. He said he hasnt ran into a cop that would be strict over that..

I have a couple cop friends, asked them what I should do..

They told me to just throw the plates off my jeep onto that one. Get a bill of sale with date from seller, so if I get pulled over for anything to tell them you just bought it. He said he hasnt ran into a cop that would be strict over that..

It's your butthole.. not mine. :gabe:

I just put any plate on the car and drive it home with paperwork in hand showing you just bought it. You will have to get an inspection, can be done at most dealers or the Lic plate agency for about $3.50, I then get a temp tag if I cannot get the title transfer done right away or I do it all at once. The closest Title and lic agency to one another is at Morse and Karl

This is how I handled it when I bought the vette from Missouri. Drove it back with the old 350z plates on it.

This is a private seller, not a dealer.

So If I go to pick it up, it has to be during BMV hours in KY..

Get my 30 day tags and notorize the title.

Come to columbus and get a ohio inspection done, and get metal plates.

Seems like a hassle..

It's not that bad. You drive the car to the dealership on temp tags for the inspection. (in my case, I traded cars so I used my old car's plate) The out of state inspection mainly consists of checking the vin number on the dash, the lights, and making sure the car is what the title says. The fee is about 3 or 4 dollars. They sign a little slip of paper, you take that to the bmv with the title and you're good to go.

I bought my white Camaro from a private seller in KY. All he did was sign the back of the KY title. I had a friend notarize the KY title once I got home. I took it to the registrar and completed my title transfer/Ohio registration. This is where you pay taxes on whatever you claim that you paid for the car. The lady came outside and made sure the VIN matched what was on the title and we went back inside. Then I walked across the hall and paid for my plates. It was very easy and not a big deal at all. The DMV in Pataskala is awesome.