Need a new TV. Any thoughts on a good one that will last a while?

Akula

I have a 50 inch DLP that is like a 2004 model, something like that. Anyway, it blows the bulb every year and a half, just happened again.

I would like to get another TV, one that is good quality and will last a while. I don't like the idea of LCD tvs because they pixelate. Anyone have an LED DLP?

Any thoughts on the matter?

I have a 50 inch DLP that is like a 2004 model, something like that. Anyway, it blows the bulb every year and a half, just happened again.

I would like to get another TV, one that is good quality and will last a while. I don't like the idea of LCD tvs because they pixelate. Anyone have an LED DLP?

Any thoughts on the matter?

How about a good plasma? They're not super energy efficient and seem to be harder to come by these days, but my Samsung has been super-reliable for ~7 years and still going strong. Still has nearly as good a picture as anything new (though it's only a 720p native).

If you're not a fan of LCD, I'd say go plasma. My friend has a 7-8 yr old Vizio that still looks incredible even after 4 years of college use (aka many hours a day every day).

EDIT: If you're not TOTALLY set against LCD, my Vizio LCD has been incredible too. I've lived with Samsung, Panasonic, Phillips, Zenith, Vizio, Sanyo, and LG flat televisions and by far the best brands were Vizio and Samsung, of all those. LG had the best customer service; when my Zenith plasma blew a power supply. LG had purchased Zenith and honored the warranty that the previous owner had purchased at Best Buy. I was floored.

Edited by El Karacho

Plasma vs Led ??? I just went shopping for a 55-60 inch. Im torn between plasma or led. The led has a brighter and crisper picture but they are around 400-500 more then the plasma. HHGreg has a sharp 60 led for 1499.00 ,this was their lowest starting price for a 60 led. I was hoping to stay around a grand or less. They have a 51 inch plasma samsung for 699.00. I was told lcd's are not going to be around for much longer. They only have a one year warranty also.

they are around 400-500 more then the plasma.

There are reasons for that: http://www.google.com

Also, 55" is the start of the more expensive sizes. Start going higher than that and it gets expensive real quick especially with 120Hz or more thrown in.

I would personally get a 55" 120 or 240 Hz LG. Don't even bother with a 60Hz of any brand no matter how cheap they offer it. 60Hz is for homeless people.

Plasma vs Led ??? I just went shopping for a 55-60 inch. Im torn between plasma or led. The led has a brighter and crisper picture but they are around 400-500 more then the plasma. HHGreg has a sharp 60 led for 1499.00 ,this was their lowest starting price for a 60 led. I was hoping to stay around a grand or less. They have a 51 inch plasma samsung for 699.00. I was told lcd's are not going to be around for much longer. They only have a one year warranty also.

Where will the TV be primarily used? Lots of natural light or indoor lighting in a basement? When we had our 50" plasma screen it was BEAUTIFUL unless it had a lot of natural light on it, then it sucked because of the glare off the glass. Conversely, in a darker area with less natural light, the crisp blacks/dark colors of the plasma looked way better than a bright LCD.

Where will the TV be primarily used? Lots of natural light or indoor lighting in a basement? When we had our 50" plasma screen it was BEAUTIFUL unless it had a lot of natural light on it, then it sucked because of the glare off the glass. Conversely, in a darker area with less natural light, the crisp blacks/dark colors of the plasma looked way better than a bright LCD.

I do have a light issue. I think I will be going with an LED.

There are reasons for that: http://www.google.com

Also, 55" is the start of the more expensive sizes. Start going higher than that and it gets expensive real quick especially with 120Hz or more thrown in.

I would personally get a 55" 120 or 240 Hz LG. Don't even bother with a 60Hz of any brand no matter how cheap they offer it. 60Hz is for homeless people.

Thanks for that info. A 55 was my first choice.

Panasonic Plasma /thread.

Yeah, I'm biased as I worked for them for years. We have 42" 55" and 65" all from 2006-2007 year and they are all stunning. The newer ones have an even better system and for the money, yes they are a bit more than most, you will never go back to another brand or style.

Panasonic Plasma /thread.

Yeah, I'm biased as I worked for them for years. We have 42" 55" and 65" all from 2006-2007 year and they are all stunning. The newer ones have an even better system and for the money, yes they are a bit more than most, you will never go back to another brand or style.

I disagree with the last part of your statement.

In my current living room we have a wall-mounted Vizio 37" LCD and a TV-stand mounted 42" Panasonic plasma. The Panasonic is definitely the better TV all-around (taking sound, overall look of the TV, features, input/outputs into consideration) but at the end of the day, the Vizio has a better picture. They were only about $80 difference in price.

This is in a room with 1 large sliding glass door that is usually covered with blinds and no windows other than that.

I disagree with the last part of your statement.

In my current living room we have a wall-mounted Vizio 37" LCD and a TV-stand mounted 42" Panasonic plasma. The Panasonic is definitely the better TV all-around (taking sound, overall look of the TV, features, input/outputs into consideration) but at the end of the day, the Vizio has a better picture. They were only about $80 difference in price.

This is in a room with 1 large sliding glass door that is usually covered with blinds and no windows other than that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in terms of how one rates the look and appearance of a TV image.

What makes you like the image on the Vizeo more?

Panny bought out Pioneers technology years ago and hands down every high end reviewer will confirm, they have the best blacks. Typically LCD's will clip highlights and low lights and it's no different now. That to some means they show "crisp" images or ones with more "punch". True but in terms of IQ, not better. Same when people compare DSLR's vs Point and SHoots and seem disappointed initally. They are used to these "overprocessed" saturated images with too much sharpness added.

All in all plasmas will have more realistic dynamic range with todays panels hitting 40k:1 edge to edge and from any angle. They also don't suffer IQ pixelization loss, by far better viewing angles and offer higher refresh rates that not only helps in terms of motion but more importantly helps elminiate fatigue, especially in artificial lighting situations.

Not to mention 100k hr lives on their panels without the LCD/LED issues of hot or stuck pixels or fading backlights as plasmas don't have them. Panny uses Japanese components which we can argue all day long, but I'll stand by are far superior to the Korean goods used in most others. They also make their own panels others OEM them. Panny calibrates and measures their panels on finished products too. Equate that to Wheel HP vs Crank. In other words, they go all out to meet the specs in the real word. They cost more, but again, are worth it.

Just my opinion though.

LED is amazing. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I've yet to see a TV with a better picture. I honestly don't think I've ever seen halos around moving objects or "pixelation". It has "Auto Motion Plus" that is suppose to prevent that, and it scales everything up to 240hz.

Just know having a 60"-70" LCD TV in a tiny room where you sit 8 feet from it, will make the TV look like shit. American's are into buying LCDs TVs that are too big for the room. Buy a LCD that fits the size of the room and pixelation is a non factor. I have 2 Sharps 1 is 6 years old and still going strong. The other is 6 months old, a 60" that is going in a 20+ foot room for viewing. Currently sits in a small room where we sit 10 feet from it, and it looks bad. But that's temporary Apartment living until the house is done.

Aren't 4k televisions around the corner? Might be worth holding off, even if just to get a very high quality 1080p at a steep discount.

4k comparison:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Digital_video_resolutions_%28VCD_to_4K%29.svg/500px-Digital_video_resolutions_%28VCD_to_4K%29.svg.png

Just know having a 60"-70" LCD TV in a tiny room where you sit 8 feet from it, will make the TV look like shit. American's are into buying LCDs TVs that are too big for the room. Buy a LCD that fits the size of the room and pixelation is a non factor. I have 2 Sharps 1 is 6 years old and still going strong. The other is 6 months old, a 60" that is going in a 20+ foot room for viewing. Currently sits in a small room where we sit 10 feet from it, and it looks bad. But that's temporary Apartment living until the house is done.

What size TV should I get? I have a room that is 20 x 18 with 14 foot height and I sit about 16 feet from the tv.

What size TV should I get? I have a room that is 20 x 18 with 14 foot height and I sit about 16 feet from the tv.

55-60"

Aren't 4k televisions around the corner? Might be worth holding off, even if just to get a very high quality 1080p at a steep discount.

They were introduced already, but not for consumer use. Their development was for the medical industry and now consumers companies like LG, Sony and Panny are considering them in the near future, they won't be viable.

Content is going to drive them and right now you can't push 4k of resolution through an HDMI cable, broadcasts content in even 1080P is minimal and the cost of the sets is going to be sky high. Lastly, with the economy in the trash and the days of Joe Average buying a 4k sq.ft. house with a room big enough to warrant a set of 70"+ nearly gone, the demand for them won't be what you would think. 42-60" is the hot size market today and anything under 55" won't even require nor likely have 4k available as it's not necessary.

Not bad info

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000021501

personally, I wouldn't do more that 50" for being 16 feet away, however everyone has different eyesight. Talk to some friends and ask to see theirs, decide for yourself. Looking at TVs at best buy is dumb. When viewing them don't stand close try to get to your 16 foot sweet spot you will be viewing. But look at a TV with HD cable hooked up for a realistic picture quality. All TVs look great with a 1080p blueray showing on them.