LEO kills wrong man after knocking on the wrong door

87GT

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/Deputies-shoot-kill-man-after-knocking-on-wrong-door/-/11788162/15527202/-/euk6tg/-/index.html

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. - Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man.

In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.

"When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies, and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said. "Even though this subject is not the one we were looking for when he opened the door. He was pointing the gun at the deputy and if you put yourselves in the deputy's shoes. They were there to pick up someone who was wanted for an attempted homicide."

Officials said the deputies did not identify themselves because of safety reasons.

Deputies thought they were confronting Jonathan Brown, a man accused of attempted murder. Brown was spotted at the Blueberry Hills Apartment complex and his motorcycle was parked across from Andrew Scott's front door.

"It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.

Residents said the unannounced knock at the door at 1:30 a.m. may be the reason why the tragedy happened.

"He was the wrong guy and he got shot and killed anyway. There's fault on both sides. I think more so on the county," Ryan Perry said. "I can understand why he [the deputy] did it, but it should have never gone down like that," Perry said.

Scott's friend, LeMac Blount said he thinks law enforcement acted too quickly.

"I think because his motorcycle was parked in front of Andrew's door, it wasn't safe to assume that that was where he was at. I think they should of took other precautions," said Blout.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should have identified who they were when knocking... seriously what did they expect knocking on someone's door at 1:30am. I can tell you I answer the door with a weapon if someone knocks at 1:30... I'm going to assume they are up to no good.

They can say "put yourself in the deputy's shoes" all day. They need to be told "put yourself in the innocent homeowner/apartment dweller's shoes" first. With all due respect for LEO's, they sign up to get in harm's way for the benefit of innocent people. If not identifying yourself as a LEO for "safety reasons" results in dead innocent people, YOU NEED TO STOP DOING THAT FOR SAFETY REASONS.

IMO the Police should have announced they were LEO's. Especially if they didn't know for sure #114 was the residence of the guy they were chasing and didn't "see him" run in there.

However, that said, how many people here if someone pounded on your door at 1:30am wouldn't at least look out the window that's right next to the door :confused: I mean if he did, he would likely have seen they were cops.

Also, how many people would then actually open the door with a gun pointed at who ever is on the others side? I mean, I wouldn't likely even open the door without knowing who is there.

Cop did what he had to do if in fact the door opened and there was a gun pointed at him. In the end, it sounds like he was a dirty dude anyway as they announced they founds drugs and related items in his apartment. Sad he died, but the world certainly didn't lose and angel that night.

Many moons ago I lived in a s-hole apartment complex. My neighbor banged on my door at 7 am in the dark. All he wanted was me to help him jump his car. He met my beretta.

Bottom line - if you don't know who is at your door it is instinctual to either protect yourself or run (fight or flight). The LEO's probably will only get a write up if that. It doesn't matter if the deceased was a saint or not, by not identifying themselves, the LEO instigated the confrontation.

Many moons ago I lived in a s-hole apartment complex. My neighbor banged on my door at 7 am in the dark. All he wanted was me to help him jump his car. He met my beretta.

Bottom line - if you don't know who is at your door it is instinctual to either protect yourself or run (fight or flight). The LEO's probably will only get a write up if that. It doesn't matter if the deceased was a saint or not, by not identifying themselves, the LEO instigated the confrontation.

I disagree, the occupant had the benefit of surprise. He could have checked the door to see who was there easier than the officers could know who was behind the door.

This country puts too much in power in the hands of a criminal when we start picking apart situations like this. Pretty soon, the cops will have to call in advance before trying to arrest a suspect, then everyone will bitch about too many criminals getting away and running free.

I disagree, the occupant had the benefit of surprise. He could have checked the door to see who was there easier than the officers could know who was behind the door.

This country puts too much in power in the hands of a criminal when we start picking apart situations like this. Pretty soon, the cops will have to call in advance before trying to arrest a suspect, then everyone will bitch about too many criminals getting away and running free.

I don't know about you, but even in my relatively well-lit entranceway, I wouldn't be able to tell an LEO from an armed robber at 1:30am through my peep-hole, and that's the only thing that lets me see what's at my door. That doesn't even take into account an LEO who is trying to remain unannounced.

LEOs do not have a free pass to do whatever it takes to arrest people. He's using the need for surprise as an excuse for not IDing himself, he must've been concerned about 1 or more of the following:

1) suspect is armed

2) suspect is a flight risk

3) suspect is a potential murderer

If indeed ANY of those are a factor, is it not wise to try to alert the surrounding neighbors? And, you know, maybe make sure you're at the right address?

No. What I meant was it is the LEO's responsibility for the safety of the occupant and themselves. Many older apartments don't have pep holes or windows near the doors. The whole situation sucks but I feel the lions share of the blame belongs on the LEO. There are a dozen things the deceased could have or should have done. Not the least of which would of been yelling "whose there?". Even if the cops had lied and said they were from building maintenance this guy may not have come to the door pointing.

Trust me the more dead criminals the better. The less we pay for them.

I've had a deputy knock on my door at 3-4am and I didn't have any trouble knowing who was there, but thats me and my house. I could totally see this type of thing happening at the two apartments I've lived in over the years. I'd look through the peep hole before opening the door with a gun pointed at a person yet unidentified.

If the dude had no peep hole then he couldn't do much else other than have the gun at his side which he probably did and one of the cops freaked.

I don't know about you, but even in my relatively well-lit entranceway, I wouldn't be able to tell an LEO from an armed robber at 1:30am through my peep-hole, and that's the only thing that lets me see what's at my door. That doesn't even take into account an LEO who is trying to remain unannounced.

LEOs do not have a free pass to do whatever it takes to arrest people. He's using the need for surprise as an excuse for not IDing himself, he must've been concerned about 1 or more of the following:

1) suspect is armed

2) suspect is a flight risk

3) suspect is a potential murderer

If indeed ANY of those are a factor, is it not wise to try to alert the surrounding neighbors? And, you know, maybe make sure you're at the right address?

And who is to say if they notified the neighbors, they wouldn't help the suspect? Everyone is quick to lay blame on the officer, but regardless, if someone came at you with a gun you'd fire at them too.

No. What I meant was it is the LEO's responsibility for the safety of the occupant and themselves. Many older apartments don't have pep holes or windows near the doors. The whole situation sucks but I feel the lions share of the blame belongs on the LEO. There are a dozen things the deceased could have or should have done. Not the least of which would of been yelling "whose there?". Even if the cops had lied and said they were from building maintenance this guy may not have come to the door pointing.

Trust me the more dead criminals the better. The less we pay for them.

Change shoes with the LEO, you'd shoot their asses too. Society doesn't fear Law Enforcement and that is the fundamental problem with this country. Nobody accepts personal responsibility and "the man" is always to blame.

I've had a deputy knock on my door at 3-4am and I didn't have any trouble knowing who was there, but thats me and my house. I could totally see this type of thing happening at the two apartments I've lived in over the years. I'd look through the peep hole before opening the door with a gun pointed at a person yet unidentified.

If the dude had no peep hole then he couldn't do much else other than have the gun at his side which he probably did and one of the cops freaked.

Dude could have easily announced "I'M ARMED, WHO IS IT?" just as easily as everyone claims the LEO should have announced themselves.

If I were the LEO and I fully expect the suspect to be a flight or fight risk, I wouldn't announce either. I'm not going to FORCE myself into a situation where I can be harmed. That's why officers want the benefit of surprise. That's why they run sirens and lights off to certain calls. I have plenty of friends and family in law enforcement. I can see things from there side and I don't want the shit they have to deal with. Being a sideline officer is easy, having someone whip a gun into your face and dealing with that situation in a split second is a whole other story. I'm just glad everyone here knows EXACTLY what should be done sitting behind a PC screen as opposed to a barrel in your face. Just sayin........