Can someone please explain to me...

Mallard

I am in Japan for work and I have noticed an odd Japanese obsession with vans. Body kits, rims, brembos, etc. They are all over the place. I've seen 3 S15's, 3 supra's, 1 R34, 2 R32's, 1 GT86, and 1000's of van's. I just don't get it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JfjYOyFmu1A/TphoYSBQn-I/AAAAAAAACjI/eEzAR24jW6U/s400/japanese%252Bneck%252Bwarmers.jpg

http://www.thenextbarstool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/japan021.jpg

http://www.tofugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/japan-no-further-description-required.jpg

SOOOOO.....

.....you are asking... "why do I see more late model (newer) compact vans than i do 1994 supra's and 1999 silvia s15's in a country that is worried about space and fuel consumption/efficiency"

Really?

No, the sports cars I mentioned are the only ones I have seen, besides an EVO X and an EVO 8 wagon in the work parking lot. Everything else is a pimped out van.

What they do to the Dodge Vans, lowered with racing style wheels are bad ass IMO.

+100. I still love the Ram vans with oil coolers bolted to the front bumper.

Funneh thing is the reverse: Japanese tourists telling their friends "Why are there so many SUVs on the road in America? I see a couple of hondas, toyotas and suzukis, but the shopping centers are filled with Suburbans, Expeditions, and Land Crusiers!"

DUBBLEYARR-TEA-ARRRRF?

Mallard what part are you in? Try checking out performance shops in the area if any.

I highly advise Rauh-Welt Begriff

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3IPUYW6NKeU/T5zpvufTthI/AAAAAAAARHw/qXrHO5v7LOo/s1600/eurp_1011_10_o+rauh_welt_begriff_porsches+akira_nakai.jpg

Nakai-san deserves full respect

If you're in omihachiman you can pretty much do anything on the weekend.

Explain. I was under the impression that to do anything cool on the weekend I would have to head over to Kyoto, Osaka, or back to Nagoya. What is there to do around here?

I'm starting to blame the van craze on the lack of Japanese sports cars. I have seen some very well kept cars from the 90's. This morning on my way in to work I passed an S15, MKIV Supra, R34, and a 90's 300ZXTT. All very tastefully modified. They just don't make cars like that any more over here.

Explain. I was under the impression that to do anything cool on the weekend I would have to head over to Kyoto, Osaka, or back to Nagoya. What is there to do around here?

I'm starting to blame the van craze on the lack of Japanese sports cars. I have seen some very well kept cars from the 90's. This morning on my way in to work I passed an S15, MKIV Supra, R34, and a 90's 300ZXTT. All very tastefully modified. They just don't make cars like that any more over here.

Thats what i was referring to, ur within 3 hours of most the bigger cities by train. I think from osaka on the jr train ur only like an hour an half away. Kyoto is an amazing city too if you get the time to travel. Omihachiman is a pretty old city too with alot of history with the samauri and shinto religion. Could always visit old schrines and the caste which was built in the 1500s.

Thanks for the tips! I was hoping to do something touristy on the weekend. I had considered Hiroshima, but it sounds like a ~2 hour train ride each way, so I'm expecting it to be a little expensive. Osaka and Kyoto were places I was told to check out, but I haven't had a chance to look into what there is to do there. I wasn't aware there was a temple in Omihachiman. I will take a look.

When you said I could do whatever I wanted here I didn't know if you meant massage parlors and hookers, street racing and drifting, or sightseeing.

I'm not surprised. It's a completely different culture and mindset; what's considered weird here is a norm there. I could mention a few things normal in the country I'm from and half of you would be gagging. I'm pretty sure there are a few Americana items that are considered pretty disgusting in Japan.