dish vs. direcTV

AWW$HEEET

I love Directv, no complaints. No personal experience with Dish but from what I've heard, people prefer Directv over Dish.

From experience

Directv > AT&T >= Time Warner > Insight.

Edit: Added bonus being on directv for me is I get 3D channels and they have rugby channels.

DirecTV. Dish is a wannabe provider and will always be. At least with DirecTV if you have an HD channel you know it'll STAY an HD channel.

If there are any complaints I have, they are few. Rain fade effects both services, but it's better than dealing with cable's BS. I get a call from DirecTV every three months or so asking me to upgrade my service, I might chew the next caller out but I usually just say I'm happy with what I've got. Oh, and DirecTV played contract-chicken with Comedy Central for two weeks last month and I missed a couple episodes of Futurama.

But these are small small annoyances compared to what I went through with TWC. Having more HD channels, a clear picture, and a company that won't brick my DVR before a big event is really nice.

Ok I am sick of my insight cable flickering during any HD broadcast, so I am gonna cancel it. My only other 2 options are directv and dish. Lettuce hear all praises and complaints here...

Did you get Insight to run a new line to your house?

If you pay your bill timely and read the fine print Dish has good service. If you do not fully read and understand the contract you're in trouble. They clearly state that they are going to reserve the right to raise prices etc. and if you call to complain about it you will be treated like shit.

If you catch one extremely rainy day or snowy day you are screwed on your services too. Dishes suck.

One doesnt have AMC.

This. I have Dish. My contract is up next month and I will be switching to Directv. I thought about calling Dish to complain that since they have removed channels, they should remove some of the cost of my bill. Not worth it since I only have a month left.

Paying for TV LOL just use the internet. Save yourself $50+ a month.

Some people don't want to wait a day or two or more for their favorite show to become available online. Then at that, Hulu and others don't carry every show, which means you know have to go through the process of downloading it, etc....

I have looked into cord cutting, but my wife loves HBO/Showtime and since HBO won't offer HBO GO without a cable subscription we are kind of screwed there.

Didn't Dish just drop a bunch of stations?

As others have mentioned now, Dish recently lost AMC. The "bunch of stations" you might be thinking of was probably the Viacom/DirecTV dispute where Viacom ended up pulling something like 14 channels off DTV for a week or maybe less. MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, etc.

In the past my family has had DirecTV and Dish. All I remember is losing signal like crazy in any kind of rain with both providers. This was probably almost 10 years ago now though so I'm sure that stuff has improved a lot. I know DTV is widely regarded as having the best picture quality of any kind of TV provider.

As others have mentioned now, Dish recently lost AMC. The "bunch of stations" you might be thinking of was probably the Viacom/DirecTV dispute where Viacom ended up pulling something like 14 channels off DTV for a week or maybe less. MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, etc.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.

I called Direct TV to get some possible information to see if I could get service in my area. They have since called me twice a day since that day trying to sell me service.

I plan on switching to them if I can get a signal at end of month. But they are definately pretty fucking annoying.

I had dtv for 10 years with basically no complaints. I dropped it last year as I couldn't justify the price when stacked with my isp bill. basically just watching ota shows (via tivo recorder) and server sites (i.e. rapidshare) for movies and premium shows.

No might be a good idea though. I think their user interface is fairly fucking archaic too. How is directv's interface?

Shits fresh son. Recently got completely overhauled to the HD layout.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/directvhdui090311.jpg

http://www.missingremote.com/sites/default/files/u5904/Directv%20HD%20UI.jpg

I have had both, Directv and Dish both have tv channels. I went to Dish because they bought VOOM and I wanted more HD but that isn't the case anymore. I think DTV costs more but I don't know that for sure.

I am thinking about netflix only....