Isle of Man 2012

10phone2

Those guys are truly fearless.

I'm not sure it's fearlessness or bravery. I think to do something like this, they have to eliminate from their minds any concept of their own mortality. You can't know you might die and go these speeds on these roads. Every one of them is an immortal in their mind.

The Isle of Man TT is essentially God saying to these bikers: "I find you worthy, and I give unto you this paradise. For this paradise is an arena. An arena for you to prove yourselves in my eye so that I may see who among you are the best."

I'm not sure it's fearlessness or bravery. I think to do something like this, they have to eliminate from their minds any concept of their own mortality. You can't know you might die and go these speeds on these roads. Every one of them is an immortal in their mind.

The Isle of Man TT is essentially God saying to these bikers: "I find you worthy, and I give unto you this paradise. For this paradise is an arena. An arena for you to prove yourselves in my eye so that I may see who among you are the best."

Acceptance, yet disregard of mortality in favor of competition and sport. Every racer they showed after the race was shaking their head as if in disbelief that they survived.

the Isle of Man TT is the deadliest race ever.......On average, more than two competitors die each year; six were killed in 2011. Nine people died in 2005.

a whopping 135 people have been killed during official competition over the past 105 years (237 if you include the amateur Manx Grand Prix)

the craziest part? Mad Sunday. One day every year at the TT, they open up the mountain course to the public. That means anyone on a motorcycle can try his or her luck along with the professionals........... ANYONE

now imagine trying to get a race like this off the ground from scratch these days in our litigious society, even on the Isle of Man which is an autonomous subject of the Queen...Manx people are generally supportive but they grew up with it and it's a part of their culture