VW LOL. Good job

Buck531

When I had the MINI I removed what is deemed the "noise maker"

Goes from the intake to the firewall. It's ONLY purpose is to pipe noise to the driver.

It is everything from number 11 to 17 below:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/h/r/234.png

:dumb:

Someone cut the big noisemaker part open and it was just a big bellow (that didnt push down)... Supposedly just vibrates like a big ear drum to amplify noises to the cabin.

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/data/500/medium/100_1035.JPG

Boggles my mind that they went ahead and put the engineering and time/money into something like this. A speaker is just a step TOO FAR

All GTI's and the new Golf R have the noise pipe like your mini.

The speaker is just using technology, and only on the MKVI's. You can disable it in 5 seconds from what I've read.

Hell, I thought just the noise pipe was dumb, this speaker, retarded.

Mustang has it to, so does the FR-S/BRZ. It's the new thing. It gives a "sporty" car a better voice in the cabin since exhausts have become so quiet. Cars were getting dinged in reviews for not having a good sound inside, so, manufacturers started bringing noise inside.

I've also been told that a lot of European car companies are doing it because some countries out there are cracking down on loud exhaust. So the sound generators give the driver the sound they're looking for without having to buy a louder exhaust.

If the BRZ didn't have it, you know your post would read differently...

Not at all. I knew about the sound pipes before I found out the BRZ had one. I thought they were an interesting solution to a problem I've had with new cars. Most new cars are difficult to drive stick because you can't hear the engine. I thought this was a neat idea.

Granted, the electronic ones are a little corny, IMO. I prefer the tubes because you're at least hearing the actual engine, not a recording or modulated plug noise.

to me, sound pipes and even this new speaker are kind of false advertising. it makes the car sound better. and to someone who doesn't know anything about this new(ish) sound technology, they would associate the sounds with performance. but fact is, if the exhaust and intake sounded like that on their own, the car would likely perform better (due to having less restrictive parts on the car).

cliffs: these newer cars sound like they are performing better than they actually are.

to me, sound pipes and even this new speaker are kind of false advertising. it makes the car sound better. and to someone who doesn't know anything about this new(ish) sound technology, they would associate the sounds with performance. but fact is, if the exhaust and intake sounded like that on their own, the car would likely perform better (due to having less restrictive parts on the car).

cliffs: these newer cars sound like they are performing better than they actually are.

you mean specifically performing differently than they actually are, not forcibly better than they really are

The thinh with cars nowadays is that the ones that have these synthesizer boxes for the most part are turbo cars that are meant to be sporty models. Look at the GTI and the F10 M5 (2012 model+), they have turbos, which muffle the engine note.

Cars like the BRZ/FRS and the Mustang don't use a synth box because the engine is loud enough without a turbo to produce the desired effect without the box.........

Sure there are special cases where some cars are so quiet regardless of aspiration type where the sound is simply played through the speakers. I know specifically 2 cars which do this.......

But at the end of the ay, I don't think it's such a big deal since people who want the cars won't forego them for something as petty as noise generators or sound piping tubes.

They can be defeated if desired and if they really annoy the owner....The tube in the FRS/BRZ or Mustang can be removed. The fuse can be pulled from the GTI or F10 M5.

I've never decided to not buy a car because I can't hear the engine naturally...Have you?

I understand the quieting effects of a turbo. I get that the power is still there. just to name an example of what I'm talking about though, look at a neon srt4. iirc they don't have mufflers from the factory, they aren't overly loud due to the turbo/resonators, but it does sound agressive. now imagine if you put muffler(s) on one and a sound generator to replace the sound of the exhaust. you would still have a simmilar sounding car from the inside, but likely lose power due to the restrictions the muffler(s) would provide (referring to an oem style muffler(s)).