EVO hunting

Miller

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a hurry because my daily got smashed, Ramsey. I would like to be in my new daily by the time my rental is cut off by insurance. Also, Nationwide is giving me some incentives financially to buy soon ($800 in sales tax coverage).

Any of you guys know how many miles these 4g's handle without abuse? Do they see 200k? Google kept leading me to pages of banter on other forums. If you know about these engines please chime in, thanks.

Problem is everyone abuses them. They aren't relatively expensive to rebuild as far as most engines. I would find something that exterior/interior is flawless and as low as miles as you can afford. Worry about a motor after. I bought my 06 w/ 27k miles for $21k.

Any of you guys know how many miles these 4g's handle without abuse? Do they see 200k? Google kept leading me to pages of banter on other forums. If you know about these engines please chime in, thanks.

yes there are threads on evom where people have daily driven their stock to lightly modded evos past the 200k mark with regular maintenance, but i dont remember if they were the first owners which imo makes a big difference

The 4g63 in the evos is a very reliable engine, they will last a very very long time if they are well maintained, like proper OCI, timing belt done every 60K and running on a good tune. Evo 8s and 9 are pretty reliable cars as long as you don't push the engine and trans near it's threshold and you will be fine.

Wanted yesterday's (dat blue) but couldn't do it. Headliner was cut into, had a boost leak, no ac, no ps and was looking at a new brake system. It drove well but I don't want something that needs everything I want in my daily redone.

Wanted yesterday's (dat blue) but couldn't do it. Headliner was cut into, had a boost leak, no ac, no ps and was looking at a new brake system. It drove well but I don't want something that needs everything I want in my daily redone.

Was that Eddie's car?

TR is for Tuner Ready. It's a stripped down WRX. Same drivetrain but no sideskirts, unpainted mirrors, different seats, radio, climate control, and some other stuff. When they were new it was a good way to get a WRX cheap, but I think now that they're a few years old and relatively close in price it's worth it to get a regular WRX or an STi if it's in the budget.

Looks like the one in link has had a decent amount done to it though.

Still sounds like a good deal, pending that it wasnt abused. Just because it has an intercooler doesnt mean you should count it out. Looks clean and cheaper with less miles than an STI for the price. Maybe insurance is cheaper too.

i would be wary of a wrx that has been modded. the 5-speed is probably ready to grenade. sti's are a different story. 6-speeds are very stout.

if getting a wrx, find an old guy that hasn't modified and get a compression/leakdown test, get a stage 1/2 and enjoy.