Gun shop owner kills suspected burglar, injures two others

87GT

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/crime-courts/2012-08-09/shop-owner-shoots-three-during-burglary?v=1344515845

NORTH AUGUSTA — Three men drove into the side of an Aiken County gun store early this morning and were confronted soon after by the owner, who shot the suspected burglars.

Two of the men were able to escape Guns and Ammo Gunsmith, 522 Edgefield Road, in the vehicle and later stopped at a Waffle House on Martintown Road in North Augusta to seek help. The men have been taken to a hospital for treatment. The details of their injuries and their identities have not been released.

The Aiken County Coroner reported that the man who was left behind at the gun shop died of multiple gunshot wounds soon after arriving at Medical College of Georgia Hospital. He has been identified as K’Raven Aude Goodwin, 20, of Eastover, S.C.

Aiken County sheriff’s Sgt. Jason Feemster said the men drove a vehicle into the side of Guns and Ammo Gunsmith shortly before 4 a.m. The business owner, identified as Stephen Bayozes Jr., who lives behind the store with his family, woke to find the van backed through the side of his store and the suspects loading the vehicle with guns.

Boyozes shot all three suspects.

Hours after the incident, a construction crew worked to repair the damage to the destroyed wall. The shop remained covered in broken glass from smashed display cases where merchandise had been removed. An estimated 20-30 guns had been removed from the store.

Boyozes, who was not injured, declined to be interviewed on the advice of his attorney.

:gabe:

This thread is the opposite of Sturg's threads. He kept stolen weapons off the street and out of the hands of criminals. Who knows how many violent crimes these almost-stolen weapons might have facilitated.

Also relevant

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/what-scs-castle-doctrine-means-for-you/Content?oid=4046873

Look on the bright side. Tax dollars will pay for their medical treatment. Tax dollars will pay for them to be tried an hopefully convicted. And all three will probably sue the gun shop owner for their injuries. It's to bad the gun shop owner couldn't throw a claymore in the back of their getaway vehicle.

Guy missed the other 2. Work on it.

I believe the story said he shot them all but only killed the one. The others went to a hospital for their treatment. Still not bad considering the situation.

^-- This

Look on the bright side. Tax dollars will pay for their medical treatment. Tax dollars will pay for them to be tried an hopefully convicted. And all three will probably sue the gun shop owner for their injuries. It's to bad the gun shop owner couldn't throw a claymore in the back of their getaway vehicle.

Welcome to 'MERICA son.

I wonder if he could claim castle doctrine since its attached to his home?(or at least the article sounds like it is)

And all three will probably sue the gun shop owner for their injuries.

^^ they can try but I very highly doubt the would win anything unless the store owner broke the law or was excessive in his actions stopping the robbers.

If someone breaks into your home and shoot and paralyze them but not kill them, so long as you didn't do anything excessive like walk over and break his back after you shot him to the point where they were no longer a threat, you don't have much to worry about in the way of losing the case. not sure if the castle doctrine applies to where the mentioned incident occurred. here in Ohio even my scenario, no civil suites are allowed.

Anything is possible, but not likely.

I guess it's hard to write sarcasm. In theory you can try to sue anyone for anything. It's wether you are protected under the law from being sued. I can try to sue my parents for making me short and ugly but it would never get anywhere.