Jeep LOL

Mr. Jones

Rumor has it that Consumer Reports did a test similar to this and the Jeep did not do very well, though not as bad as this Swedish company makes it out to be. Apparently Jeep revamped the electronic suspension controls and it is much better. Rumor also has it that no other company has been able to replicate the Swedish folks results.

who knows...

I still plan on buying one in the next couple of years. I don't care if the Jeep failed the "moose test." I haven't seen too many meese here in Ohio lately. :gabe:

I still plan on buying one in the next couple of years. I don't care if the Jeep failed the "moose test." I haven't seen too many meese here in Ohio lately. :gabe:

In merka you build the Jeep and asplode the meese.

Let's see a beetle hit a moose and survive. LOL

But yeah...jeeps suck for handling.

Rumor has it that Consumer Reports did a test similar to this and the Jeep did not do very well, though not as bad as this Swedish company makes it out to be. Apparently Jeep revamped the electronic suspension controls and it is much better. Rumor also has it that no other company has been able to replicate the Swedish folks results.

who knows...

Consumer reports has a very similar, if not identical, test. It's also a double lane change, but I'm not sure the dimensions are the same. It also had to pass a very aggressive test from the NHTSA so they could sell it in the US. No other publication was able to reproduce these results without overloading the vehicle. Either way, I'm sure Chrysler is looking to fix this. I'm just glad I wasn't the one that worked on this program. haha.

Yeep LOL..

Would still own one of these before buying a BRZ.

But really... Who cuts the wheel at 50mph and jumps to another lane and back. Thats one of the worst things to do at that speed. Even if a deer was on the freeway, the last thing I would do is yank the wheel and go to another lane.

GF's dad just ordered a 13' Grand Cherokee. Sucks to see the test since he's been wanting one for a while.

I'm holding out for the '14. Supposed to get a mid-model refresh. New digi-dash rumored to be similar to the new viper's. 8" navigation screen. 8-spd auto. 3.0 CRD.

http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/pfftch_laughing_rage_face_comic_meme_poster-r51cb71496b734e56a34ca2dc42988e76_a21y_400.jpg?bg=0xffffff

JEEP :dumb:

:fa:

You said you wanted cactus mode in a jeep, and chrysler delivered.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/jeep-grand-cherokee-moose-test1.jpg

Passenger wheels can easily clear a small cactus.

Mixed feelings on this one really. I do see the comparison and if true, it's cool the volvo can take the drive so well. However, as Rocky said, I'm not sure such a crazy ass manuver is really called for....but it does and can happen. I don't want to know what our fully loaded minivan would do. It wouldn't be pretty though.....

Hey, at least it didn't tip over.....

Consumer reports has a very similar, if not identical, test. It's also a double lane change, but I'm not sure the dimensions are the same. It also had to pass a very aggressive test from the NHTSA so they could sell it in the US. No other publication was able to reproduce these results without overloading the vehicle. Either way, I'm sure Chrysler is looking to fix this. I'm just glad I wasn't the one that worked on this program. haha.

That would suck, thats alot of pressure, even for seasoned engineers.

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is the load limit amount on the Jeep. There was some talk of Chrysler saying they overloaded the first time out. The magaizine said they loaded it with a normal amount of people and their gear. What I'm hearing is that the load limit of the Jeep is far less than you would assume for a vehicle of it's size/caliber. Most people don't pay attention to the difference and assume for example, if a car seats 5, then it'll hold 5 people with all their gear. This just isn't always true. Hell, there can be huge difference between weight limits of cars/suv's within the same category! I've driven and been driven in a shit load of cars going way back and I still recall seeing cargo limits that in no way covered a "full load" of people. This was mostly on older autos, though, as even I don't really pay attention to that's stuff anymore, either.

Yeep LOL..

Would still own one of these before buying a BRZ.

But really... Who cuts the wheel at 50mph and jumps to another lane and back. Thats one of the worst things to do at that speed. Even if a deer was on the freeway, the last thing I would do is yank the wheel and go to another lane.

That's the whole point of the step: an emergency maneuver. It's not something that happens all the time, but in an emergency (as I had to make a very similar move not too long ago) it's nice to know you can dodge something without rolling over.

That would suck, thats alot of pressure, even for seasoned engineers.

Yeah, I've been involved in programs that had to make last minute changes like this. Chrysler used to get all kinds of crap for being slow through the Consumer Reports lane change, but sideslip angle was controlled, while the Hyundai Santa Fe would go through fast, but you would be completely sideways. So they visited CR to see how they run their test, then required all ESC tuning be done with this event in mind. The first cars tested after this also tested poorly, only to find out that afte CR showed them the test they changed it and didn't say anything.

Loading a vehicle differently changes everything in this test. Putting weight up high can make some cars lift the wheels at 50 mph or less in a curve, while they wouldn't lift a wheel with 4 passangers in a double lane change.

The fact that these guys do this type of test on SUV's without outriggers is pretty damn stupid too.

Though it's tough to stay calm in a panic situation of avoiding a situation at high speed if people were actually trained better in panic stops like "not swerving" while standing on the brakes it would go a long ways. I've seen Corvettes upside down, not surprised in the least to see something as tall as this nearly flip.

Though it's tough to stay calm in a panic situation of avoiding a situation at high speed if people were actually trained better in panic stops like "not swerving" while standing on the brakes it would go a long ways. I've seen Corvettes upside down, not surprised in the least to see something as tall as this nearly flip.

it doesnt appear to roll like you would expect. it seems the suspension gets mind fucked and doesn't respond properly.

You said you wanted cactus mode in a jeep, and chrysler delivered.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/jeep-grand-cherokee-moose-test1.jpg

Passenger wheels can easily clear a small cactus.

Is it just me or does it look like tire failure in the rear?

After the gf hit a deer and THEN went off the road I've been trying to drill into her head to never swerve no matter what, just put the brakes to the floor.