Scan Tool For Sporadic Misfire

Bark

I am having a sporadic misfire issue that I am trying to track down. It is not throwing a CEL so I can't pull a stored code. I am wondering if there is a scan tool out there that can datalog or real-time scan to help me identify this misfire. It is a Ford Duratec V6 with coil-on-plug ignition and typically acts up when its wet out. Im guessing cracked coil but at $70 a piece it could get expensive tracking it down. Anyone know where I could rent/borrow a tool to figure this one out?

just disconnect the each coil one at a time while the car is running to see which cylinder doesn't change the misfire

This, but if that gets you nowhere it could be as simple as packing the connectors with dialectric grease to keep water out. Not as likely as failed parts, but it happens.

I don't recall for sure but I think those had replaceable extensions from the coil to the plug. Also inspect all vacuum hoses for air leaks it will cause random issues. as for a scanner some will but they are mostly the real costly ones that a shop will have and you will have to pay a hr shop time for them to scan it. If it were mine I would start by making sure all maintenance items are 100% first (coil on plug boots, plugs, vac hoses,and air and fuel filter)

• 2 weeks later...
just disconnect the coil one at a time while the car is running to see which cylinder doesn't change the misfire

If its sporadic, meaning not happening all the time. How is disconnecting one coil at a time going to diagnose his issue?

Do you have any more info on car? I'm guessing you have pulled and checked gap on plugs?

Edited by Rocky31186

Sometimes when he drives it it doesn't have a issue. Other times it will start to miss. This happens with the same or different gas. Like stated its not bad or often enough to store a code to check. A scan tool that can monitor each cyl firing is all that's needed I'm guessing because it does not seem bad enough to be multiple cylinders.