Delaware state park

BrianZ06

It's like 5 miles from me. I have been several times but I prefer an indoor range, like the one at Blackwing (nearby) for pistol shooting. It's a hell of alot cheaper at the park though ($5/day).

It's not bad, but it gets really busy on the weekends and you can end up sitting around alot waiting for a good time to call a cease-fire to swap targets. My wife enjoys shooting and has guns of her own (and a CCW permit), but she didn't enjoy shooting there. It may not make the best first impression if you're trying to get her hooked. If you go, your best bet is to set up a bunch of small targets at once to minimize your need to take trips downrange. You'll also need an approved target stand. They have some you can borrow, but only if they aren't already being borrowed.

I have a target stand you could borrow.

I used to have 2 but I killed one zeroing the peep sight on the SKS. :fuuuu:

Also, in case you're not aware, you don't pay at the range. Like most (all?) state park ranges you need to get a permit elsewhere. I get mine at the Norton Sporting Goods store just West of the range. It's on the same road, but from 23 you go left at 229 instead of right. They sell target stands too, but you'll pay a premium.

I have a target stand you could borrow.

I used to have 2 but I killed one zeroing the peep sight on the SKS. :fuuuu:

Also, in case you're not aware, you don't pay at the range. Like most (all?) state park ranges you need to get a permit elsewhere. I get mine at the Norton Sporting Goods store just West of the range. It's on the same road, but from 23 you go left at 229 instead of right. They sell target stands too, but you'll pay a premium.

Thanks for the info. i might have an old stand to use if not i might take you up on that offer.

I go up there a couple times a year, but only go during the week to avoid the crowds. Like some of the others have said, take out several targets and put them all out at once. Otherwise you'll spend most of your time waiting and less time shooting.

I'll be at a different part of the park tomorrow morning running my beagle. If it sounds like a dog is dying, don't worry, it just my dog chasing a rabbit. :)

My brother goes regularly, and I went with him for the first time a month ago. Pretty cool. Get there early (we got there at 11AM) and were lucky enough to only wait about 10 minutes.

Price is right, hell a year pass is on $25!

Sounds like this place really gets the business. I use to be able to just walk right out my back door and shoot but we now have a home in the way back with kids. I like the idea of placing several targets out at the same time. I'm not sure if I will go saturday or sunday. Do you guys know if they have a bike trail area at the park to ride mountain bikes or just a bike path. I was going to take the bikes with me.

I go up there a couple times a year, but only go during the week to avoid the crowds. Like some of the others have said, take out several targets and put them all out at once. Otherwise you'll spend most of your time waiting and less time shooting.

I'll be at a different part of the park tomorrow morning running my beagle. If it sounds like a dog is dying, don't worry, it just my dog chasing a rabbit. :)

I had a beagle once,that dog wanted to chase everything that had 4 legs. I have a lab now but he is getting up there in years. I wonder if sunday is less crowded..

Everything went well at the range. After going thru all the basic safety stuff and how to stand,hold the gun etc she shot off her first round with the glock. She did good. Kept the gun under control at all times. After going thru a couple boxes of blazer 115gr we shot the 1911 45 she had no problems with that gun either. The glock gave her more of a snap then the 1911 did which was to be expected. The guy next to us gave her the opportunity to shoot his walther p22 and she really liked that gun. She wants her own now. I shot some hornady xtp 147gr thru the glock and it seems to be a little more accurate then the blazer target ammo. I know I need much more practice with the glock. I can shoot my 1911 much better,but then I'm use to the light trigger and single action 1911 45. I had a few feeding problems with the new chip mccormick 8 round mags for my 1911. The last round was hanging up. If I shot it fast to empty out the mag I had no problems. Only slow firing is when the last round would hang up and keep the slide half racked. Im pretty sure the fix would be a heavier spring in the magazine. All in all a good day.

I went today with my dad to shoot clays.

First time shooting a shotgun, and obviously shooting clays too.

We looked like NOOBS initially, but then I got the hang of it. Shot about 45 rounds, The last 20, I hit 18, so pretty good IMO.

We will be looking into 20 gauge shotguns for this, as our old 12 gauge was pretty brutal to shoot.

I went today with my dad to shoot clays.

First time shooting a shotgun, and obviously shooting clays too.

We looked like NOOBS initially, but then I got the hang of it. Shot about 45 rounds, The last 20, I hit 18, so pretty good IMO.

We will be looking into 20 gauge shotguns for this, as our old 12 gauge was pretty brutal to shoot.

I was there around noon and stayed for 2-3 hours. Shooting clays is fun. I started when I was very young probably 14 years old using a browning over and under citori and some nice side by sides. My grandfather was a big collector . I'm not has good has I use to be. 1100 Remington 20 ga that would be a good one to buy. Even better a 28 ga but they are a little harder to find and more $$$. Of course this is just my opinion.