Need Advice- Foster animal taken

WheelSpin

We first got our dog "Charlie" about 6 months ago from Perfect Pet Adoption Center, under the understanding that we would more than likely adopt him. The night we got him we immediately noticed he showed signs of abuse because he was terrified to just be in the presence of people. He was also VERY skinny.

Perfect Pet then told us that they would provide us with food, a cage, and all medical treatments he needed until he found a home. After a month or so tried to adopt him ourselves, we were sent an application and emailed one back the same day, We've never heard any word about it to this day and I have the confirmation showing it was read.

After months of not hearing from them except for useless e-mails trying to get us to adopt other animals WE had to set up a date for his medical treatments. I dropped him off right when they opened at 7:30AM and let them know if there was anything the adoption place wouldn't pay for that he needed, I would. I was told we could pick him up from 4:30-7:00pm.

At 4:30 my g/f showed up to pick him up and was told Perfect Pet took him and didn't even let us know. Now they're saying that he was "covered in fleas" and was "thin as a rail" and they won't give him back. He's always eaten VERY well, and to be 100% honest with you guys he spent a day with my mom (who has 2 cats, who unbeknownst to us have fleas) because my g/f and I both had to work so we started treating him with Advantage. The night before we checked him for fleas and found a whole 3!

Every call and e-mail we've made has gotten us a "fuck you" attitude. We truly don't know why we're getting so much aggression. We love this dog like he's our son and have always treated him as such.

Anybody who comes out to meets when i'm there can attest that the dog doesn't leave my side and is ALWAYS with us.This picture is from the night we got him.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/418981_10150653123805559_1026758821_n.jpg

They have no address and won't give out any phone numbers to contact anyone. What do you guys think i should do?

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/perfectpet.html

This reads like someone running a "rescue" out of their garage. The first thing you need to understand is that a large amount of people that do these are fanatical and overbearing. They act like there are few people deserving of having a pet. Yes, its true that a lot of people do a bad job with dogs, or get the wrong dogs for the wrong reasons but some of the rescues out there go overboard with it.

That being said, I really doubt there is anything you can do. You have no way to contact them outside of an email address and its hard to prove ownership of a dog unless you have microchipped it yourself. You may try filing a police report saying that the dog was stolen from the place providing medical treatment, but beyond that you are most likely out of luck. If you do decide to look for another dog, I highly recommend visiting rural shelters - they are cheap to adopt from and most of the employees and volunteers are happy to adopt to anyone, as most are small and underfunded and therefore kill shelters, so they are just relieved that its one less dog to put down. The Morrow county shelter at the fairgrounds has been good to me, as has the Highland county shelter in Hillsboro.

Thanks for the replies guys.. The idea of having someone else adopt him and give him to us is probably going to be our best bet, we've been checking that website about every 3 hours and he hasn't been posted up.

Copperhead- That's exactly how this place seems, I would think a few fleas that were being treated and him being a little skinny would be alot better than him being put down because no one wants him.. The one lady Cam, has been absolutely horrible since day one.. I do have emails, pictures and phone calls proving he's been in our care and showing how skinny he was when we got him I just don't know if that's enough for a case with the authorities...

that really sucks. So it seems you were a foster family for this group?

Its definitely a little shady that they would come and get the dog while he was technically still in your care while at the vet. I would do as the others say and try to get someone to adopt him for you. Judging by how your relationship has deteriorated with the group, I wouldnt think it would be near impossible for you to adopt the dog on your own.

I had experience with a group similar to this, Pets without Parents, thankfully they seem to be a little more established and were very professional and I had a great experience. I know it doesnt help this situation, but for others looking to foster or adopt, Pets without Parents was very good in both regards.

However living in a 1br apartment

Their policy clearly says that you must own your home to adopt from them.

Also, most adoption places keep the rights to the animal, meaning if they have basically denied you, someone else adopts it and gives it to you, they will still have the right to take the dog back. I've seen CHA remove dogs before.

Lj-You are right it does say that, but I have emails where I'm told that if he has room to play and can be excersized daily that exceptions can be made. Otherwise we would've never gotten a dog we intended on becoming so attached to.

We're still pleading with them for him back but its weird that they went from "he's great, surgery went well. He's just getting his last shots!'" To "We aren't giving him back.." then they hang up on us during pretty much every phone call that's taken place.

From that attitude and the condition we got him in is scary enough to make us do anything we can for him..Even though you're right the last thing we want is for him to be taken by the CHA, which is why we're still trying to go about the most peaceful route..

alot of bitchy people in here ... he went out if his way to try to get a dog out f a shelter and adopt him and was taken from him . no ones perfect crap happens dogs get things...its a DOG idiots....

eathier offer ways to help or gtfo

alot of bitchy people in here ... he went out if his way to try to get a dog out f a shelter and adopt him and was taken from him . no ones perfect crap happens dogs get things...its a DOG idiots....

He is asking for advice and people were giving it to him. It might not be what he wanted to hear, but it is advice.

Here is some advice, if you don't have a house or big enough apartment you shouldn't have a dog. If you were really using frontline, advantage or K9 advantix, the dog wouldn't have fleas. If you just started treating the dog because the dog had fleas, then you are doing it wrong. The dog was taken from you obivously the Vet felt that the dog would be in better care in the hands of the rescue rather than in yours. I would learn from it and move on, there is no point in trying to circumvent the system to get the dog. The dog was never yours and you have failed to prove to the rescue that you can take care of this dog.

He is asking for advice and people were giving it to him. It might not be what he wanted to hear, but it is advice.

Here is some advice, if you don't have a house or big enough apartment you shouldn't have a dog. If you were really using frontline, advantage or K9 advantix, the dog wouldn't have fleas. If you just started treating the dog because the dog had fleas, then you are doing it wrong. The dog was taken from you obivously the Vet felt that the dog would be in better care in the hands of the rescue rather than in yours. I would learn from it and move on, there is no point in trying to circumvent the system to get the dog. The dog was never yours and you have failed to prove to the rescue that you can take care of this dog.

#1, flea treatment does not kill fleas immediately. They don't catch on fire when they hit the body of a treated dog, they can live for a few hours. The treatment will eventually kill them, as well as prevent them from laying eggs/kill eggs.

#2, the vet HAS to give the dog to the rescue if they ask for it, they still owned the dog.

After speaking with someone who finally knows just a little about this rescue, the people who run it are kind of wussies. Most likely they denied the app, but were passive aggressive when getting the dog back. The vet has to call the rescue for payment and when they called the rescue probably said "oh we will come get the dog"

I only see 1 bitchy person here......

I never retaliated for any comments said to me, I replied in the nicest most honest way I could. If it wasn't what I wanted to hear I still listened and kept it in mind. That's why i posted in the first place.

The dog has been treated for months, It was toward the end of his first treatment that he got them though.

I really believe what LJ said is the case, which I think is wrong and shady. That and numerous other things make me question wether or not they should truly have these animals.