School me on Merc E55's

oh8sti

How many miles a year do you plan to drive when in town? I wouldn't waste the money on a used E55 AMG. Get a Acura TL, TSX, ILX, etc. or something that is decent with a WARRANTY that you won't spend money on and can pay off quick. When you get some cash saved up and other things inline, then look for a toy. $25k on a car with no warranty and higher maintenance costs is setting you up for problems IMO.

I hear ya. The possible maintaince scares me a little but not much because I know enough people here that can help my out need be. I plan on doing less than 10k a year in this car. FAR less than any car ive ever had. If I find a well documented, unmolested car I'm totally fine with that. I usually only keep cars for 1-2 years. This isn't really a toy since im not interested in modding it. So that's another reason I don't mind the repair costs if I have them. I just don't know if I can buy a car that I don't like driving. Specially since when I'm home I'm going to want that. Option #2 is a G8 GXP but they are harder to find an would be over my budget of 25k :(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya. The possible maintaince scares me a little but not much because I know enough people here that can help my out need be. I plan on doing less than 10k a year in this car. FAR less than any car ive ever had. If I find a well documented, unmolested car I'm totally fine with that. I usually only keep cars for 1-2 years. This isn't really a toy since im not interested in modding it. So that's another reason I don't mind the repair costs if I have them. I just don't know if I can buy a car that I don't like driving. Specially since when I'm home I'm going to want that. Option #2 is a G8 GXP but they are harder to find an would be over my budget of 25k :(

I vote G8 GXP.

I'd take the G8 GXP all day long, especially considering you could drive it around without worrying about a thing, unlike the e55.

+1000

i'd steer clear of a 65k mile benz where the motor (if it blows) costs more than the whole car.

+1000

i'd steer clear of a 65k mile benz where the motor (if it blows) costs more than the whole car.

I love the GXP but harder to find than an E55. I found an E55 with 22,000 original documented miles. I dont see a problem with that.

Hey guys just picked up an e55 amg last saturday. Got it on trade plus a little cash. I'm real happy with it as of now.

Gary

Lolololol

Ehy der got a cheb treefiddy block, a fishin pontoon n band of brothers dvd collection Trade ya for the e55 this wekend get ma cell a call thx gary

05/06 are supposed to have better transmissions.

At $15k that salvage car is a pretty good deal, its a theft recovery car.

That said, they are great cars but servicing the air suspension is why I haven't bought one. However a lot of kits are out to convert them to coil-overs now, and aftermarket air suspension parts are coming out and independent shops are working on the systems. So it may be time for me to stop talking about one, and buy one.

I had a friend with the 55K motor heavily modified in three different cars and he never blew a motor up. At stock power levels, well maintained I've seen plenty with high miles and no major issues.

I was out test driving cars today. I drove an 06 M5 which was great, power comes on higher in the RPM's but overall i liked it. I also drove an E55, which i like more than the M5. The power is instant and has gobs of torque. I still need to find a GXP to drive and Id also like to check out a few others on the list. Im pretty sold on the E55 at this point. Im looking for low miles like less than 50K.

I'll be in CBus sometime next week you're welcome to try out the C.

I'll be out of town for the next 3 weeks or so on and off. I appreciate the offer though. It's very nice of you. If I get to be home for longer in the future I'll PM you.

The list just grew to an 06 CLS55 as well. Those things are pretty sweet and I feel like you don't see many of them around.