So nobody may care but..

Cordell

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats. Those questions can be tricky.

Although I've learned that all Ase certified gets me is a patch to put on a coat and certificate. And the dealership world paid you for your birthday. Not worth the price of the Ase tests themselves. (Toyota said they would reimburse. Never did)

its the exact same way here at Acura

Explain how you think being Ase certified increases your value as a tech?

I guess I don't know much about an auto tech then?

I know in my field, the more certifications I acquire, the more valuable I am both internally to the company, and externally. My salary is directly tied to my level of experience & evidence of competency (Certifications).

I know in my field, the more certifications I acquire, the more valuable I am both internally to the company, and externally. My salary is directly tied to my level of experience & evidence of competency (Certifications).

And some more than others. CCIE vs MCITP :gabe:

And to OP, if certs were easy everyone would have them. Congrats!

IMO it's a matter of how value is defined and who it matters to.

In the auto service industry, there doesn't appear to be any type of threshold on professional standards. That hurts the industry as a whole. However, there's no guarantee that a lawyer with a JD Degree is any good or ethical either so does that even matter?

To me what an ASE cert shows is that the person has a self driven intellectual desire to learn and achieve a professional status. That does hold value to me as a layman or as a business owner. It's no different than two businessman holding real world experience but one then having an MBA to boot. If all things were equal, I'm hiring and putting more value on someone who has gone the extra miles for such a certification. That's self drive, commitment and pursuit of excellence that the other guy didn't put in motion. It documents a minimum consistancy by which all others can then be measured.

I have seen through my wife an ASE Cert gives creidence in court cases. Do manufacturer's all cover warranties the same or do some require an ASE tech to do the work?

Does that provide an answer to you? Not sure. In the end the "value" might me pay scale. I can't answer that impact. Key there however is to find a employer that would pay an ASE tech more to wrench a car than a non ASE tech. I can you that looking at the complexity and cost of new cars, my money is on having the certs getting you further than not. At least in the case of my family that owned caddy dealerships back in the day, they made it a point to show certifications. Afterall would you rather have an ASC tech work on your pricey caddy or a Joe Tech with just simply several years expereince?

its the exact same way here at Acura

I under stand how you two feel, but they did actually reimberse me for the first couple I took this year and I expect no different for these. I also got a pay raise, and just got told I'll be getting another. It will also look good on my resume.

In the auto service industry, there doesn't appear to be any type of threshold on professional standards. That hurts the industry as a whole. However, there's no guarantee that a lawyer with a JD Degree is any good or ethical either so does that even matter?

To me what an ASE cert shows is that the person has a self driven intellectual desire to learn and achieve a professional status. That does hold value to me as a layman or as a business owner. It's no different than two businessman holding real world experience but one then having an MBA to boot. If all things were equal, I'm hiring and putting more value on someone who has gone the extra miles for such a certification. That's self drive, commitment and pursuit of excellence that the other guy didn't put in motion. It documents a minimum consistancy by which all others can then be measured.

I have seen through my wife an ASE Cert gives creidence in court cases. Do manufacturer's all cover warranties the same or do some require an ASE tech to do the work?

Does that provide an answer to you? Not sure. In the end the "value" might me pay scale. I can't answer that impact. Key there however is to find a employer that would pay an ASE tech more to wrench a car than a non ASE tech. I can you that looking at the complexity and cost of new cars, my money is on having the certs getting you further than not. At least in the case of my family that owned caddy dealerships back in the day, they made it a point to show certifications. Afterall would you rather have an ASC tech work on your pricey caddy or a Joe Tech with just simply several years expereince?

You have got the right idea, and this is why I pursued it. I've had warranty companies ask me for my ASE number, and GM pushes it hard on top of their own training but not required to get paid on anything. I beleive Ford requires certs to get paid on warranty work. I think they are work having and while they aren't made a big deal they do make a difference to a lot of people.

Thanks for all the compliments, and the reaction from the other techs is excatly what I expected.

I also got a pay raise, and just got told I'll be getting another. It will also look good on my resume.

There you have it..

Employers like to invest in employees who invest in themselves. This applies regardless of your chosen vocation. Put your time in, do the right thing and people will notice.

You would THINK that the more ASE Certs a person has, the more they would make or the more the company would appreciate them. In the automotive world thats not the case (In my 4 shops, 8 years experience). I was suppose to be reimbursed for my tests and never was. The last 2 I took were over $100. When I realized that being certified gains me NOTHING except a piece of paper, I told myself I would not be renewing my certs.

And some more than others. CCIE vs MCITP :gabe:

And to OP, if certs were easy everyone would have them. Congrats!

Certs are not very hard at all. They sometimes have trick questions, but the reason most people stopped taking them, is its not worth it. (Unless your company gives you a raise like cordell's)

If all things were equal thats one thing. But, there are people who as master certified that couldnt diagnose a EVAP leak, let alone a ABS issue. To me, self drive, commitment and pursuit of excellence is not being ASE certified. To me a piece of paper does not show what you know.

The ONLY time my ASE came in handy was my unemployment claim. To prove I knew what I was talking about.. Hundreds of dollars in tests and studying and thats the only time I used it.

Sadly, if you take your car into a shop that advertises ASE certified techs. I bet they are not all certified.. And your car that your taking to that shop for ASE techs, Joe tech will be working on it.

I still think that any ASE tech should make a significant more amount a money over a mechanic that is not certified. In Cordells case he did get a raise. In my past shops ASE techs do not get a raise. And everyone that I have worked with (even the older guys) gave up on ASE and let them expire.

At toyota you did not have to be ASE certified, you had to be Toyota certified to do recalls / warranty jobs.

There you have it..

Employers like to invest in employees who invest in themselves. This applies regardless of your chosen vocation. Put your time in, do the right thing and people will notice.

Not all companies give a raise for being ASE certified. In cordell's case.. Its worth it as he got a raise. But in my case, no its not.

Thanks for all the compliments, and the reaction from the other techs is excatly what I expected.

My first triple on CR

And the NON- mechanics are the ones who are justifying it... The other mechanics know real world experience..

In your case, im glad you got a raise and your company takes care of you.

In my new job, I dont need to be ASE certified in anything, they send me to school to learn the Sweepsters, and Oshkosh equiptment.

Not all companies give a raise for being ASE certified. In cordell's case.. Its worth it as he got a raise. But in my case, no its not.

Who cares if they give you a raise?

The idea is to invest in yourself proactively, not re-actively.

God forbid you lose this job, would be easier to secure employment with a rack of certs under your belt, and it looks better to future employers.

Who cares if they give you a raise?

The idea is to invest in yourself proactively, not re-actively.

God forbid you lose this job, would be easier to secure employment with a rack of certs under your belt, and it looks better to future employers.

I understand your not a mechanic... Just realize that being ASE certified does not get you a job faster than joe tech with 10 years experience...

Shops want HANDS ON EXPERIENCE.. Anyone can go out and take the ASE tests, if they pass. Put it on their resume. It doesnt help at all. Most dealerships want 5 years experience working on cars, and when they ask you certain questions only mechanics with experience would have you know how to answer them.

IF I am going to dump HUNDREDS of dollars in ASE tests, I expect a raise from the company who is going to advertise that their mechanics are ASE master techs.

I personally did not feel any different as a mechanic after passing ASE tests.

I understand your not a mechanic... Just realize that being ASE certified does not get you a job faster than joe tech with 10 years experience...

Shops want HANDS ON EXPERIENCE.. Anyone can go out and take the ASE tests, if they pass. Put it on their resume. It doesnt help at all.

IF I am going to dump HUNDREDS of dollars in ASE tests, I expect a raise from the company who is going to advertise that their mechanics are ASE master techs.

Yes, but a tech with 10 years of experience who is also an ASE Master tech is worth more than a tech with just 10 years of experience. Even if the ASE Tech is a complete fucking moron. Your value is the sum of your experience and qualifications.

As with anything else, you ideally want to have more than the next guy if at all possible.

Yes, but a tech with 10 years of experience who is also an ASE Master tech is worth more than a tech with just 10 years of experience. Even if the ASE Tech is a complete fucking moron.

http://reaction.ralfvandenboom.nl/img/Yw5gEl4aeu.jpg

I give up...

Im telling you from experience.. You have never been in those shoes, so you dont know. Maybe in your line of work, but not this. I have seen it, and been there.

http://reaction.ralfvandenboom.nl/img/Yw5gEl4aeu.jpg

I give up...

Im telling you from experience.. You have never been in those shoes, so you dont know. Maybe in your line of work, but not this. I have seen it, and been there.

Seeing as how I've worked in more shops then you it depends on a few things. Most shops I have worked at I would have to agree with you but not all. The one I work at now obviously, the shops that my Dad worked at cared too. Its not a lost cause to have your ASE certs, plus the non-mechanical people out there see it as something important as they have no other way of knowing if you have a clue or not.

Fuck it, I know techs with ASEs that i would trust to put air in my tires, I just don't feel its a lost cause.