AT&T question, anyone work for them?

Trouble Maker

I currently have an iPhone 3Gs with unlimited data. If I upgrade to the iPhone 5 on a subsidized price and enter into a new contract, can I keep my old plan? If I buy a Nexus straight from Google, so I don't take the subsidy and don't enter into a new contract, can I keep my old plan?

PLEASE don't turn this into the typical iPhone versus Android thread; it's fucking old... this means you red S4 guy. I'm asking about buying a subsidized phone versus not on AT&T and if I get to keep my old plan, that's it.

From when I was last in the store they told me that when the iPhone 5 comes out att plans to not allow you to transfer the 3g data plan unlimited to a 4g data plan unlimited. If you do the new phone unsubsidized you will need them to change your data plan to android but you can keep it. I got a smasung galaxy s3 and they transfered my unlimited data to 4g

From when I was last in the store they told me that when the iPhone 5 comes out att plans to not allow you to transfer the 3g data plan unlimited to a 4g data plan unlimited. If you do he tyh new phone unsubsidized you will need them to change your data plan to android but you van keep it. I got a smasung galaxy s3 and they transfered my unlimited data to 4g

That's bullshit if it's true. I'm due for an upgrade and if AT&T pulls that shit I'll change carriers.

They are throttling people who have an unlimited plan now (I have one too). If the iPhone 5 isn't a big enough upgrade, I am taking my iPhone 4 to T-Mobile. They are adjusting their wireless spectrum so that iPhones will fully work on their network now, HSPA+ and everything. There are rumors floating around offering a $75 a month iPhone plan that has unlimited everything and tethering thrown in.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/08/t-mobile-readying-flyers-aimed-at-unlocked-iphone-use-and-savings-over-att/

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/08/t-mobile-adding-microsim-kits-for-iphone-44s-training-employees-for-selling-against-the-iphone/

They are throttling people who have an unlimited plan now (I have one too).

I actually don't use a ton of data…. but right now with 550 shared minutes (never come close to using it), unlimited shared texting, unlimited data on my phone plus my wifes dumb phone with our 20% discount plus taxes/fees our monthly bill is $114. Under the new plans with only 1GB of data the base price would be $115/month (minus any discounts plus taxes)…. probably about the same we are paying now for only 1GB of data. Or for a 4GB plan it would definitely be more expensive.

My problem is I have a 3Gs which is all but dead so no matter which way I cut it, I need a new phone.

If the iPhone 5 isn't a big enough upgrade, I am taking my iPhone 4 to T-Mobile. They are adjusting their wireless spectrum so that iPhones will fully work on their network now, HSPA+ and everything. There are rumors floating around offering a $75 a month iPhone plan that has unlimited everything and tethering thrown in.

T-Mo’s new unlimited plans look awesome from a pricing perspective. I love that they charge less if you bring your own phone, as it should be since the plan cost doesn’t have to cover the phone subsidy. If they covered where I work well I would buy 2 new Google Nexuses (or is it Nexui?) and go over there. They have a 1kminutes (and unlimited nights and weekends) +unlimited text and unlimited 4g data (no tethering) for 2 lines for $99/month if you bring your own phone.