BMW 745i

Forrest Gump 9

A friend of mine is death set on getting a 2004 bmw 745i. The car has 102k miles, very clean, car fax cleaned also, but the used car dealer only want $14k for it. Does it sound right? A little too cheap may be? So im a little leary on this deal. Also what to look out for on these cars.

I'm trying to talk him into a MB, but he already had one.

According to Edmonds, dealer retail for that car in average condition is 11,200. Dealer retail for one in outstanding condition is 14,300. So I wouldn't say that the price is so low as to be suspect.

I'm sure the techs and other BMW illuminati will post specific problem areas with these cars, but I think a general rule is that the car is at an age and mileage when electronic component failure is common. Keep in mind that many of those components are pricey.

My friend had an Li when we were in highschool. A few years after we graduated at 100k it needed like $9500 worth of service (so said the dealer). It needed front timing cover seals which is a cheap part but an enormous amount of labor which was the biggest single item if I remember correctly. His also had an emissions pump that went bad that needed done. This was like 2 years ago, so I don't remember the exact details. But it was an 05 that was dealer maintained for 100k miles.

I'd have the car inspected by a reputable indy or a dealership before he bought it. I use Best Motor Works, they inspected my E46 for me. I'd recommend them.

Its a German car that's nearly a decade old, it won't be cheap to own. As long as he understands, and can afford to run it, they are awesome cars.

A 10 year old BMW that is selling for 15% of its original value probably probably isn't the bargain people tend to think it is. They tend to all need timing cover gaskets and coolant pipes/orings (30+hours labor) Many are starting to smoke at idle. Either needs upgraded valve covers and or secondary air cleanings/valve stem seals. They all have trans leaks that require gaskets or pan replacements. This is just stuff of the top of my head.

My $.02 is a guy looking to spend $15k on a car isn't typically looking to spend the kind of money these cars require to stay maintained.

I would also recommend getting it checked out by Best Motor Werks. Great guys, and much cheaper than Kelly BMW.

I typically recommend staying away from bmw luxobarge type cars. The inline 6s are so much more reliable, proven, and cheaper to maintain. The auto trannies can be particularly problematic as well.

I would also recommend getting it checked out by Best Motor Werks. Great guys, and much cheaper than Kelly BMW.

I typically recommend staying away from bmw luxobarge type cars. The inline 6s are so much more reliable, proven, and cheaper to maintain. The auto trannies can be particularly problematic as well.

x2 for bmw motor werks